PDA

View Full Version : What was the first thing you noticed in Gutsy?

holihue
October 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM
What was the first thing you noticed in Gutsy?

The first thing I noticed was that it had drivers for my graphic driver installed.:KS

On Feisty and other releases I had to install these drivers to get 1400x1050 resolution.

:)

koleoptero
October 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
The first thig I noticed was that the windows title bar was about 400pixels wider than it should be. Thankfully by just changing the effects it came back to normal.

bruce89
October 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM
The fonts were really big (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/118745), although this was 2 months ago.

lyceum
October 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM
The font was HUGE when I logged in and there was no splash screen. The wallpaper was still brown, but actually looked cool.

bobbocanfly
October 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
First thing i noticed was it booted much faster second thing i noticed was that i could have my screen at a proper resolution thanks to the new Monitors wizard,

ahaslam
October 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
The black screen it greeted me with.
I built my rig for Linux, it has a 7950GT. I'm used to getting the wrong resolution, but a blank screen???

skwishybug
October 18th, 2007, 08:28 PM
My broadcomm wireless card was working as soon as it booted up.

FuturePilot
October 18th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I got my sound to work with minimal effort compared to Feisty, my new laptop can mount CDs without the need for the all_generic_ide kernel parameter and the live CD booted into the GUI without the need to change the driver to vesa (GeForce 8400 GS)
Huge improvements over Feisty. Totally amazed!:guitar:

thx11381974
October 18th, 2007, 08:46 PM
First thing i noticed was it booted much faster

I noticed a lot of improvements but that was my first too.

steveneddy
October 18th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Better support for my Bluetooth mouse.

Graphics/Dual Monitor GUI.

Had to un-install beagle. I hate desktop search.

More folders under /home - like Windows.

New Open Office.

Brian Pattison
October 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM
First thing was that the screen resolution was set perfectly to my monitor's native resolution and that the restricted drivers took forever to start downloading and it's going super slow now that it started...

Second thing was that the forward and back buttons on my mouse still don't work on install. Easy fix, but this is something I use as soon as boot and open Firefox for the first time.

Tomosaur
October 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM
That my wireless dongle doesn't work (it did in Feisty) :O

Ubuntu can see available networks, and it LOOKS like it connects to the one I want, but then there's nothing. No internet, nothing in 'netstat -rn', zilch. It even says 'Wireless Connection : <mac address> (77%)' - so it's obviously working on some sense, just not in any USEFUL sense :(

I am pretty annoyed that I have to use Windows to scour the web for a solution :(

Aside from that though - it looks great. Screen resolution was available (but not maxed out by default), and the tracker thing looks great. Everything loads extremely quickly too.

benhagerty
October 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
It boots really quickly and the desktop effects work flawlessly

Ultra Magnus
October 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM
1st thing - Screen resolution was slightly wrong - but atleast I could see the desktop!
2nd thing - All I had to do to fix it was enable propriatory driver!
3rd thing - More folders in home directory

Onyros
October 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM
My hard drive was spinning into (data) oblivion. And then removed the Tracker daemon :P

muecker
October 18th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Firefox crashes on Google Mail, vmware is gone and I cannot get it back, the mouse pointer on my second screen is a big, square block. :(

-grubby
October 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM
this is trivial, but the menus look different

b0ng0
October 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Ultra-high resolution splash screen on boot. A+++

GSF1200S
October 19th, 2007, 12:13 AM
First thing I noticed was the milk chocolate wallpaper, and how it didnt seem to fit the desktop.

I then noticed that the 64bit livecd was fast as hell, and supported all of my hardware. I cant wait to get off of work so I can get working on a 64bit OS..

SonicSteve
October 19th, 2007, 12:19 AM
First thing that resolution was setup correctly,
Then the wallpaper (I like it)
then that the windows have minimize, close and maximize effects, Very cool.

Overall I'm totally impressed by Gutsy,
On a less noticeable but more important note. During setup it correctly identified a hard drive in a system that to this point other ubuntu installers died on.

WAY TO GO UBUNTU DEVS
THIS IS A BIG STEP FORWARD

Sunflower1970
October 19th, 2007, 12:24 AM
It felt more responsive everywhere, even booting. Otherwise everything really felt the same :D (Using Xubuntu on an old computer)

bruce89
October 19th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Funny how people don't notice the Cairo/XFT/FreeType patches that people used to go on about, possibly because Firefox doesn't use the proper font rendering.

Ylang
October 19th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I noticed that my restricted driver manager hasn't "enabled" the packages for my graphics card and wireless like it did in the beta. In the beta, all I had to do was click on the restricted hardware, and it would install a driver, but now it just says "The software source for the package is not enabled". Is this just a result of it being new, or should I be worried?

thepaul
October 19th, 2007, 12:35 AM
What I noticed is that Ubuntu "found" my network Printer that is a Canon iPrixma3000. It's great!

regomodo
October 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM
the amount of ram it uses by default and the longer (to previous releases) login time. Boot time is fine.

init1
October 19th, 2007, 12:55 AM
The font was HUGE when I logged in and there was no splash screen. The wallpaper was still brown, but actually looked cool.

My broadcomm wireless card was working as soon as it booted up.
Not for me :(

The fonts were really big (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/118745), although this was 2 months ago.
Yeah, I have that same font problem. It's really annoying, even though I was able to fix it. I had to edit text files to get it too work. I really hope it isn't an issue in the next release.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575978

phrostbyte
October 19th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Guys, the cursor! Has no one noticed that Gutsy has a new mouse cursor?! :confused:

:guitar:

atomicblue
October 19th, 2007, 01:20 AM
The first thing I noticed was the live cd refused to bring up the desktop... :(

RAV TUX
October 19th, 2007, 01:22 AM

The first thing I noticed was that it had drivers for my graphic driver installed.:KS

On Feisty and other releases I had to install these drivers to get 1400x1050 resolution.

It's been so long since I started using Gutsy, I can't remember.

tdrusk
October 19th, 2007, 01:22 AM
when a window is open and you click and drag the top down it will make a smaller window.

detected my resolution.

Antman
October 19th, 2007, 03:28 AM
That Suspend2Ram and Suspend2Disk doesn't work on my laptop.:(

jorluiseptor
October 19th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I noticed that:
Firefox hangs
The sound is not working as the previous version- its working worse.

PatrickMay16
October 19th, 2007, 03:48 AM

The first thing I noticed is how crippled the new version of Eye Of Gnome is.

Chilli Bob
October 19th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Open Office loads as fast off the live cd as it did of the hard drive with feisty.

Gimp is a release candidate. Will the stable release come through as an update??

And the chocolate wallpaper is nice, but still will be changed very soon.

GSF1200S
October 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Open Office loads as fast off the live cd as it did of the hard drive with feisty.

Gimp is a release candidate. Will the stable release come through as an update??

And the chocolate wallpaper is nice, but still will be changed very soon.

I dont know why, but your avatar is the sh*t! :)

Flying caveman
October 19th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Its still installing on this computer, but i've already noticed that the way it asks for your password in terminal is different. Instaead of "Password:"

it asks "[sudo] password for user:

hessiess
October 19th, 2007, 08:18 AM
its more clutterd than fisty. ive only used the live cd

isaacj87
October 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM
suspend is broken. :(

Printing was amazing. Couldn't be anymore plug and play. I literally turned on the printer and it was ready to go.

Not really a huge departure from fiesty, but it's better and different in its own right.

BoneSaw
October 19th, 2007, 08:27 AM
the password promt and my resolution not working.

epee
October 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM
My hard drive was spinning into (data) oblivion. And then removed the Tracker daemon :PDitto. Why the default settings are so resource hungry is a mystery.

Secondly, I also noticed that Firefox is now less reliable than it was with Feisty. On some websites it regularly 'hangs' - while others render without problems. (Appears to be websites with 'fussy' pages that cause the problems...)

But mostly it worked first time (I'm on 64-bit AMD), except I had to re-install the rt73 driver to get the wireless networking going.

Oh, and for some reason, when the system is 'asleep' there is hard disk activity every ten seconds or so. Guess I'll have to see what other processes are active.

But...so far, so good.

epee
October 19th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Firefox crashes on Google Mail,...Ditto.

I tried removing the flash plugin I'd previously installed, and then allowed Firefox to detect the missing plugin and install automatically. That seems to have sorted the problem, mostly... (I'm still checking.)

Warpnow
October 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM

My notice is similar: I noticed my graphics drivers are no longer supported...

I installed gutsy and now my Radeon 9200 won't work past boot up...and I have no idea how to get it to.

I even switched it out for an Nvidia Geforce 5200 and it still won't work...

Pekkalainen
October 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM
1. That the desktop effects worked out of the box, sadly I was very annoyed with how it treated my workspaces so I disabled it.

2. That it was a mistake to add the choice to install Gnash instead of Adobes crap. One is proprietary and one seems customized to eat CPU instead of displaying flash. In other words its not ready for prime time quite yet.

3. That Tracker ate an equal ammount of CPU and had to be disabled to make the machine have the same performance it had in Feisty.

Otherwise Im very happy with the release :D

frabcus
October 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I knocked the power cable out on my Ubuntu-on-Macbook, and to my astonishment the screen dimmed. Then I noticed the brightness function keys now work. Ace!

Phil Airtime
October 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I plugged in my printer and spotted the "Brother HL-1250 ready to print" symbol about three seconds later.

C.A.T.S. CEO
October 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Shiny everything - even without compiz fusion. :)

The other thing I noticed is the new folders in ~/, It reminded me of ~/ in OS X. I've noticed that Ubuntu is taking a lot of cues from Mac OS X, very nice! :D

sicofante
October 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM
First thing I noticed is windows decoration was gone. So much for upgrading... :-( I'm up to a fresh install now.

But I also noticed better font rendering (or was it just me?) and those nice new folders right in the places menu. Well done.

mysticrider92
October 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
The server install is an interesting terminal look. Or maybe that is how it is supposed to be...

I noticed in the beta that Firefox 2.0.0.6 or 7 is annoyingly instable, but maybe that has been fixed now. I can't wait to get back from this trip and enjoy my 7.10...

megamania
October 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
The first thing I noticed, since tribe 5, is that when I enable Compiz the screen loses sync and blanks every few seconds (I have an Ati Radeon 9000 graphics card).

I haven't been able to fix it so far (with Feisty + Beryl everything worked fine).

zekica
October 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I have noticed:
- High resolution boot screen (low res when booting live CD)
- A quirk with Gutsy on my NV GF4 - it turns screen off when booting from live CD. All i had to do is to move my mouse or press a key.
- Tracker is extremely resource hungry - I was downloading a .torrrent and it constantly indexed that file
- I hear clicks and pops (looks like alsa has lower priority).
- Had to blacklist ide_floppy module for installer to finish on VIA KT133 chipset
- gdebi-kde has memory leak

And now for the good part:
- Compiz works very well on GF4 and GMA900 - didn't work that well in feisty
- New cursors
- Network manager that actually works with Broadcom Wireless
- NTFS read/write
- Display configuration that works, but still has some quirks

luisjorge
October 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM
My resolution was perfect since boot without having to install the 915resolution fix for my card.
Second thing, I have no sound, no splash screen, aMSN looks ugly, but everything else is a lot better than Feisty.

Espreon
October 20th, 2007, 07:14 AM
The new wallpaper.

Temposs
October 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Regarding the tracker issue. I do think it was not a sound decision to set that thing to run like that.

However, the reason it's being so resource hungry is that it's doing an initial indexing of your entire harddrive!

After a couple hours of running like this, it stops. I left it on and it hasn't been acting up on me at all, and I imagine the feature will come in handy for me eventually. Right now the trackerd process is using 0% cpu and 58.9MB RAM.

Gutsy is running very smoothly right now on my Toshiba M35-S320 laptop.

happy-and-lost
October 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Compiz Fusion is buggier now than it was at Tribe 2 :(

Johan_SV
October 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
The great font rendering and that my wireless card was recognized.

pt123
October 20th, 2007, 10:18 AM
The small emblems bug in Nautilus
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582613

The search bug in Nautilus
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582593

and nvidia driver bug
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=581119

:(
Sadly these have overshadowed an otherwise neat OS

Good parts :
how smoothly my mouse @ 800 moved ( I had this on Feisty but not this smooth)

how well balance the CPU sharing is, switching between apps doesn't provide any jerkiness

Disappointment -
inability to have different wallpapers for the workspaces

no option to set number lines to scroll for the scroll wheel (this is ridiculous)

Programmerer
October 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM
That my resolution finaly worked properly, BUT almost no programs works, seems like they can't use the graphich card. Trying to get it to work now.:)

But Gutsy is still new, so thats OK.

Melcar
October 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
No boot screen. Also, that both my Broadcom chip and even my integrated wireless modem were recognized from the start (don't know if the modem actually works, but who bothers with those things anymore).

holihue
October 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM
I also noticed that totem-xine did not work...

Gutsy: totem-xine and vlc problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3593065#post3593065)

rdoolen
October 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
loading stage 1.5...

grub error 18

shad0w_walker
October 22nd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Restricted drivers for my WiFi and the bit that truly shocked me. Drivers available from the manager for my winmodem. The very same modem that was a pain in the *** running under Windows. I haven't had a chance to test them (Abandoned dial up a while ago thankfully) but it at least recognized the hardware.

Bakon Jarser
October 22nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
The first thing I noticed was that the live cd sent my monitor straight to sleep. It woke up when I moved the mouse but I was horrified by several seconds of blackness.

swoll1980
October 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
The restricted drivers feature recognized and installed the drivers for the pci modem on my laptop. It had never worked before.

Sensenseppl
October 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
The new wallpaper (I hate it! [-().

And after that, the fact that i got compiz working after a few clicks, even with my ATI card. :)

PartisanEntity
October 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
The laptop fan is much quieter most of the time, even with moderate desktop effects switched on. All theme related settings have been unified under 'Appearance'. Fonts look good. Suspend, getting there, when in the past I used to get a blank screen, I know get a log in window when waking, but nothing happens after I enter my password.

holihue
October 22nd, 2007, 07:16 PM
... And the Power History function is much better.:)

Extreme Coder
October 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
The fact that it can't boot on neither my PC nor my brother's, even after I checked the MD5SUM.
Well, another release which I will be using OpenSUSE or Mandriva instead..

SaiGoN DraGoN
October 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
i noticed that my xserver crashed; i had to reconfigure several times until i finally got in GUI then, it gave the wrong resolution but once inside it was easy to fix it; although it took me quite a while to get compiz fusion working properly. It asks continuosly for key ring for my network password and it annoys me but my box runs smooth though.

diskotek
October 22nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
i noticed that it didn't worked...(for me)

scottmuz
October 22nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
First the bad:
- the 2.6.22 kernel wouldn't mount my home partition, I had a heartattack
thinking it had been deleted. I booted up in my fiesty kernel and to my relief
home was there again. This was fixed by removing the evms package.
- the off button caused gnome to freeze. Fixed by enabling gnome power manager is sessions

Now to the good:
- much improved font rendering
- boot up faster
- in fiesty my firefox was very unstable (crashed at least one a day), since the upgrade no crashes (I expect it is something to do with flash rather than firefox).

Good work ubuntu team.

rggavubt
October 22nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
Asked to load restricted drivers for my laptop modem and broadcom 4306 WLAN card. Installing firmware and drivers at download prompt was easy. Easiest ever to get WLAN card working. Firefox seems to be loading web pages slower?? I got MP3's and DVD's playing after reading user documents, restricted formats...the synaptic "ubuntu-restricticed-extras" install is a nice touch.

philinux
October 22nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
Everything worked and I got my graphics card properly recognised. Could even select higher res.

Although it altered my /dev/hda3 to /dev/sda1 so initially wouldn't boot !

Melcar
October 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Asked to load restricted drivers for my laptop modem and broadcom 4306 WLAN card. Installing firmware and drivers at download prompt was easy. Easiest ever to get WLAN card working. Firefox seems to be loading web pages slower?? I got MP3's and DVD's playing after reading user documents, restricted formats...the synaptic "ubuntu-restricticed-extras" install is a nice touch.

The firmware caps my speeds to 11Mbps and it does to others as well. The monitor says full speed, but it's just giving half. Haven't tried ndiswrapper on Gutsy yet, but hopefully I can still get it to work with the old Dapper guide I always follow (it worked on Feisty so why not on Gutsy).

bengoza
October 22nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Wireless signal is a little stronger, fonts in Firefox look better.

TheOtherLinuxFreak
October 23rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Guys, the cursor! Has no one noticed that Gutsy has a new mouse cursor?! :confused:

thats the first thing I noticed while the live cd was booting.

fuscia
October 23rd, 2007, 03:28 AM
the boot screen.

kevdog
October 23rd, 2007, 03:35 AM
I upgraded (am going to do a fresh install this weekend) but first thing I noticed was how bad the fonts were particularly on firefox.

The only other thing I noticed (running on machine that cant do Compiz effects) was that frankly, its not much different than Feisty. So I guess I just feel a little disappointed about all the hoopla made about the release.

rare HERO
October 23rd, 2007, 03:40 AM
i noticed the shutdown icon.

Ehtetur
October 23rd, 2007, 03:45 AM
Two things:

One.. it was brutal to get a RealTek 8139 ethernet card working..

Second.. Folks can leave you a message when you lock your screen.

kamaboko
October 23rd, 2007, 04:45 AM

a brown logon screen

Dimitriid
October 23rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
1) That its a bad idea to depend on network at any point during the install whenever detected or not :(

2) That my name and some glass crap was on the desktop. Deleted.

3) That Ubuntu "restricted" thingie asked me if I wanted to download firmware for my bcm43xx Good! too bad its still highly unreliable for me, but that has to do with trying to make my connection go through like 4 or so concrete walls ( neighbor's router ).

4) That Pidgin is now the default IM client. Never tried, probably will set it up for my accounts soon.

Overall after the initial disappointment of the install, it actually makes for the most stable OS on my laptop so far ( Arch Linux just decides to not work on my laptop for some reason from time to time, not sure why its rock solid on my desktop. )

LordMau
October 23rd, 2007, 05:18 AM
does not shutdown/ restart properly all the time (about 4-6 times out of 10), much like what I experience with my orginal feisty install with gutsy kernel. Pure feisty had no problems. as well as xp on this rig.

Popoi
October 23rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Effects are astonishing and run smooth.
Usplash resolution doesn't fit with resolution selected.
I deleted Nautilus shortcuts and I'm trying to resize emblems.
Very nice Pidgin, Bluetooh support and many little things more.

boyturtle
October 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
No more Beryl, but still have wobbly windows, great.....

zgoda
October 23rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Ugly, blurred fonts. They happen to be sharp on Feisty, now they look... well... like 5 years ago.

And charging laptop battery takes ages.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Not the first (since I was running the devel version for about 4 months), but I noticed this around the release announcement, so it counts:
I can write to that stupid NTFS partition!
This is good, because I gave Ubuntu a rather tiny chunk of space on my computer that still has Windows installed, and since I became obsessed with Miro it's started to run out. Now I can tidy up some of the Windows partition from Ubuntu (that is the NTFS partition on the secondary hard drive, sadly not Windows itself), then nuke it!

songshu
October 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
i see no monkey anywhere, is it broken?

Shiva88
October 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Biggest thing is that it boots fast!

Next was that I had some minor sound issues that were easily resolved, but issues nonetheless.

Just today I discovered the improved bluetooth applet. Very pleasantly surprised by that, and Gutsy overall so far.

markp1989
October 23rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Biggest thing is that it boots fast!

Next was that I had some minor sound issues that were easily resolved, but issues nonetheless.

Just today I discovered the improved bluetooth applet. Very pleasantly surprised by that, and Gutsy overall so far.

yes i noticed that, from grub to desktop in 22 seconds with no optimisation is excelent

uflieven
October 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
That I couldn't install it the normal way, the desktop CD really is very bad. Lines, circles, won't install. The alternate CD is bad. It installs (although slower than previous releases), but after installation it's simply not working. Can't change screen resolution, my linux teacher even reported using the desktop CD he had to install in 640x480 at which the installer didn't fit on the screen and had to guess whether he was on yes or no. He also said the kernel used was only 4 days out. How could it be tested in 4 days? No, if I can give you an advice, if you really want to try out Ubuntu 7.10, do so at your own risk. Otherwise stick with any of the previous versions (7.04, 6.10 or 6.06), or even better, use Debian.
So I'm skipping this release... hoping 8.04 will be (much) better, if it's not, I doubt I'll ever use Ubuntu again :(

Really disappointed :(

Earthwormzim
October 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Well...the absolute first thing I noticed, literally speaking, was the larger than usual Ubuntu startup screen. But, once it got the drivers setup/configured (which it did automatically, after the first boot), it went back to normal size.

Some other things that immediately caught my eye was that Pidgin was packaged with Gutsy, rather than Gaim, and that...[here's an obvious one]...Compiz was already ready-to-go.

I still don't like the fact that I have to install the "ubuntu restricted formats" (or whatever it is called) just to play mp3s, and such, though.

Oh...and another thing I noticed...XMMS2 was in Synaptic. I believe this was not the case, fairly recently...and I'm not sure if this is true only for Gutsy.

daniel_victoria
December 5th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Well, I noticed that after I type my password it takes almost 30 seconds for the desktop to be ready! This is very annoying... Ie heard that others are experiencing the same problem and so far I have not found a solution...

smartboyathome
December 5th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Well, I noticed that after I type my password it takes almost 30 seconds for the desktop to be ready! This is very annoying... Ie heard that others are experiencing the same problem and so far I have not found a solution...

Try searching the forums for readahead (it is in the tutorials section). If you wait for your comp to boot up, then type username/password, this speeds up boot considerably (at least, it does for me).

daniel_victoria
December 6th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks Smartboyathome. I found the tread and will try that later today...

Killer Cop
December 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
The first I noticed about 7.10 was graphic drivers could be installed easily. I dropped 6.06 because I couldn't install my graphic card. I also noticed Compiz Fusion, which is so cool and I also had waited much for.

Joeb454
December 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I noticed that wireless works straight off :) even with WPA