PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu or Kubuntu

GaryLittlemore
October 18th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Can anyone tell me what the differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu are? Which one is best to use and why?

Thanks

PmDematagoda
October 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM
The only difference is the Desktop environment along with some software, Kubuntu has KDE for those who like a "Windows" look and some nice graphics, Ubuntu has Gnome which is unique and is also simple which is good for a newbie at Linux.

The cores of both are the same.

barkej
October 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
It's really a matter of personal preference. Why not try them both and see which you like best.IMHO Ubuntu works best for me, but everyone likes something different.

mikeyphi
October 18th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Can anyone tell me what the differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu are? Which one is best to use and why?

Thanks

Both are basically Ubuntu however, Kubuntu has a very different Desktop and several different 'flavours' of the usual programs.

Users continue to 'discuss' which is better!! It's down to personal choice-

You can quite easily try both flavours before a final choice: install Ubuntu and - later - install 'kubuntu-desktop' through synaptic

Sef
October 18th, 2007, 01:59 PM
For starting out, it is best to start with Ubuntu since most people here use it, and so if you have a question more people can help you. Once you learn Ubuntu, then try out Kubuntu and decide which is your choice.

hyper_ch
October 18th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Sef:

Don't forget Xubuntu ;)

santiagoward2000
October 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Sef:

Don't forget Xubuntu ;)

:guitar: That's right!! It's really cool too!

PmDematagoda
October 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Sef:

Don't forget Xubuntu ;)

Amen hyper_ch, Xubuntu is rather nice, especially on the school computer where I installed it.
Best thing is that everyone who sees it loves it, and they think it is XP:-P and are surprised when I tell them it is Linux.:D

santiagoward2000
October 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Amen hyper_ch, Xubuntu is rather nice, especially on the school computer where I installed it.
Best thing is that everyone who sees it loves it, and they think it is XP:-P and are surprised when I tell them it is Linux.:D

You've made Xubuntu look like XP on your school's computer? :lolflag:

Frak
October 18th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Ubuntu uses the Gnome 2.20 interface, and is more heavily developed compared to its counterpart Kubuntu. Ubuntu uses GTK+, XUL, and Zenity for 99% of its applications.

Kubuntu uses the KDE 3.5.7 (or KDE4 if you want the bleeding edge, polished desktop), and uses QT, QT+, K, and X for 99% of its applications. Most of its applications start with K, such as Kopete, Kedit, Kate, Konversation, Ksudoku, Ktorrent, etc.

Ubuntu is developed more than Kubuntu, but some people (such as myself) rather use Kubuntu over Ubuntu.

Note: Kubuntu does need a little more tinkering to work as well as its Gnome counterpart.

PmDematagoda
October 21st, 2007, 03:55 AM
You've made Xubuntu look like XP on your school's computer? :lolflag:

Actually Xubuntu is using it's default theme, everyone thinks it's XP with a new theme:).

hyper_ch
October 21st, 2007, 09:28 AM
Actually Xubuntu is using it's default theme, everyone thinks it's XP with a new theme:).

lol ;)