PDA

View Full Version : Mako

az
August 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM
http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/freesoftware/20050811-00.html

Mako will be leaving Canonical...

Interesting quotes :

"Of course, by no means does leaving Canonical mean I will be leaving the Ubuntu community. On the contrary, I intend to continue my work with the community council,"

"Not everyone realizes this but both top governance committees in Ubuntu -- the Ubuntu Community Council and the Technical Board -- are made up of Mark Shuttleworth and people he employs. While our community is less than one year old and this is unavoidable in the process of bootstrapping a young community like Ubuntu, this fact has made me increasingly uncomfortable over the last year."

kleeman
August 18th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Interesting indeed! See this previous thread for further speculation on Canonical:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49946

Knome_fan
August 18th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I think the following paragraph puts the quote into context and makes it sound much less negative:

I think that through a departure from Canonical and a sustained role on the council, I can help introduce real community and institutionally independent involvement at the highest level of our project. I believe that I can help Ubuntu grow as project distinct from and in symbiosis with Canonical in a ways that I couldn't -- for symbolic reasons if nothing else -- while my rent was being paid by Mark.

az
August 18th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I picked those quotes on purpose to _not_ sound negative. Oh well!

jdodson
August 18th, 2005, 04:31 PM
So I read it a few times. I don't get why he is leaving. Not the "WHAT A LAME A$$ NOOB" kind of response, far from it. I just dont understand his reasons. I read them over a few times, I don't get it.

Oh well, rock on Mako! I always found that in our dealings(when forum things went from worse to ****, which happens) he was a very easy person to work with.

Keep on rockin on!

UbuWu
August 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM
So I read it a few times. I don't get why he is leaving. Not the "WHAT A LAME A$$ NOOB" kind of response, far from it. I just dont understand his reasons. I read them over a few times, I don't get it.

As far as I understand it is so Ubuntu will become less dependent on canonical (which still is a commercial company), which is a good thing! :grin:

az
August 18th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Oh well, rock on Mako! I always found that in our dealings(when forum things went from worse to ****, which happens) he was a very easy person to work with.

Keep on rockin on!

Quote:"In about two weeks, I'll be leaving Canonical Ltd. to return to academia at the MIT Media Lab...
One of these is Negroponte's $100 Laptop Project which, for a number of reasons, seems like an incredible opportunity."

I do not know what degree(s) he has, but presumably, he is going to do a project to get a graduate degree (or something). If he were to tackle the 100 dollar laptop project, I would say that would be a good use of his ressources. I could not think of a better person for the job.

Think of it. To get this done, you need buy-in and cooperation from manufacturers. You need a good knowledge of computers and development. You would also need to develop creative solutions to tough problems. The altrustic flavor of the project is also something that makes it a perfect choice for Free-Libre software. This sounds like Mako's CV (resume) to me...

Some people have the world's greatest jobs (like coding for an open source company) and some people get to do the greatest graduate-degree projects (like finding a cure for herpes or supplying the world with a laptop for third-world countries...)

*sigh*

jdodson
August 18th, 2005, 06:02 PM
OK good points, thanks.

Kyral
August 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM
<off-topic>
Am I the only one that thought Final Fantasy 7 when they saw the topic? </off-topic>

<on-topic>
I dunno who this guy was, but if he helped make Ubuntu Linux great, then he will be missed and more power to him in his future endevors
</on-topic>

Lowe
August 18th, 2005, 07:35 PM
<off-topic>
Am I the only one that thought Final Fantasy 7 when they saw the topic? </off-topic>

haha that's the first thing I thought aswell.