PDA

View Full Version : Wired Reviews Gutsy Gibbon

p_quarles
October 18th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Link (http://www.wired.com/software/softwarereviews/news/2007/10/ubuntu_gutsy)

Nano Geek
October 18th, 2007, 06:02 AM
The latest release of Ubuntu, version 7.10, proves that Linux can compete with and, in some cases, trump Windows as an everyday desktop system when it comes to pure usability.Music to my ears. :)

southernman
October 18th, 2007, 06:26 AM
That's a sweet write up. Thanks for the link p_quarles!

Let's see how it get's dugg now. You know the nay sayers are going to pounce on it for the most minute detail.

Incense
October 18th, 2007, 06:59 AM
That's a sweet write up. Thanks for the link p_quarles!

Let's see how it get's dugg now. You know the nay sayers are going to pounce on it for the most minute detail.

I don't know, in the eyes of Digg, Ubuntu can do no wrong. ;)

23meg
October 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM
It's an overly optimistic review, the kind that tends to set unrealistic expectations in some users. Some "provided that you have supported hardware.." kind of warnings would have been good.

p_quarles
October 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM
It's an overly optimistic review, the kind that tends to set unrealistic expectations in some users. Some "provided that you have supported hardware.." kind of warnings would have been good.
Agreed. It's optimistic with regard to hardware support (I'm expecting a flood of Broadcom and ATI rants in the next few weeks). At the same time, it doesn't recognize the support that Medibuntu gives for DVD playback.

Anyway, it's good press, and Wired has enough circulation to get more than a few people to give Ubuntu a try.