PDA

View Full Version : New Linux/Ubuntu user... :)

maxxym
October 18th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Hello peeps... :)

Well.. I guess I should introduce myself. I am new to Linux..(completely switched to Kubuntu on my home desktop and work's laptop from Windows)...now, after playing around with it for about a week, I can't wait to switch to Ubuntu from Kubuntu. I think I would like Gnome better.

I decided to switch to Linux after working with Microsoft my whole life. I work in IT where entire infrastructure is Microsoft, but with Vista, I am not sure if they will upgrade anytime soon.

Anyways, I find Linux very interesting. It's little weird at the first because it's nothing like Windows. True, I get frustrated sometimes when I try to watch streaming videos in Firefox, just to find out that I need to run crazy commands to install RealPlayer. But I get it working. :)

So, with that said, I hope I can keep this going and stick with Linux. I had enough of Windows, and to be honest, I have a great opportunity at my work to start new career path, which is Linux...I see there is a lot of demand for people with Linux skills out there and market is pretty good.

I will be back... asking dumb questions probably. Hopefully as time passes, I will be able to help others.

id I mention that I can't wait to install Gutsy 7.10???? =D>

carlinuxlearner
October 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Well to Ubuntu Forums!

C@RL

nonewmsgs
October 18th, 2007, 03:15 AM
welcome! all of us here are impatiently waiting. i wouldnt be surprised if some people started rioting because it's sooo close but time is slllooowwwwwiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggg ddddddooooooowwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Paul820
October 18th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Hello and welcome to the friendliest and most helpfull forums on the net, I hope you feel right at home here. On these forums, no question is a dumb questions.):P

maxxym
October 18th, 2007, 03:19 AM
LOL...I know.. I see them changing a website a little... I can't freaking wait!

My first Linux experience was with KDE, but after reading and checking out some stuff, I really like Gnome and I see you can customize is just as much as KDE. Looks to me that Gnome is just straight to the point, where KDE you have to mock around a little.

Man I can't wait to start messing with all the cool s**t that Linux provides!!!!

SunnyRabbiera
October 18th, 2007, 03:55 AM
well good luck on your venture, after you get used to it you may find that linux might be easier then windows in some repects... I know I have.

Bungo Pony
October 18th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Welcome aboard! It takes a bit of getting used to, but after awhile, "sudo apt-get install" becomes part of your regular vocabulary. I've been making a gradual switch starting back in March. I still have Windows, but I spend more and more time in Linux. I hope to be able to switch over completely sometime in the next few years, possibly when Windows 2000 is no longer supported. But it's actually kinda useful having two OSes on my PC. I can use one to fix the other, just like back in the days when I used DOS to fix Windows :)

I started with Gnome. I dabbled in KDE, but I personally found it kinda flakey, moreso than my Windows install. I recently tried e17 which is quite pleasing on the eye. If I wasn't so addicted to Gnome, I'd probably go with that.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your new OS!

freetonik
October 18th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Hello and welcome to the friendliest and most helpfull forums on the net, I hope you feel right at home here. On these forums, no question is a dumb questions.):P

This is true, I was absolutely amazed about people here!!!

maxxym
October 18th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Thanks everyone!

I really hope this will workout because I really like the OS. sudo apt-get install and sudo apt-get remove is already part of my daily vocabulary lol.....

I just can't wait for 7.10 to be realeased already!!!

p_quarles
October 18th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Thanks everyone!

I really hope this will workout because I really like the OS. sudo apt-get install and sudo apt-get remove is already part of my daily vocabulary lol.....

I just can't wait for 7.10 to be realeased already!!!
From your first post, it sounds like you're willing to work through a little initial frustration, so I predict it will work out for you.

Linux isn't a replacement for everyone's needs, but there are many advantages when it does work out. For instance, I've found that the configuration files (as opposed to the registry) makes it much easier to experiment with different settings. And, because they're just files, it's also easier (necessary, too) to back them up in case you screw something up.

If you stick with it long enough, too, you'll discover the joys of bash. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find that you can essentially create small-scale custom applications on the fly.

southernman
October 18th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Welcome to the forum... and Ubuntuesque!

Just be prepared to work through the occasional hiccup and you'll do fine. If in doubt and can't find the resolution on your own ask out there ----> and someone will be willing to help out.

Again, Welcome!

btw, are you trying to butt in line for Gutsy? ;) jk