PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy :(

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Yep! I've given up trying to get this so-called Linux for Humans to work ... Long Live MS!

Sorry but it's absolutely useless. Only for geeks without a life.

llamakc
October 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Weird, even my 16 year old and 10 year old have no problem with it. Bye!

Hobo Joe
October 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for that horribly unbased and rude post.

If you want help, tell us what's wrong.

Paul820
October 18th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Flame bait......

n3tfury
October 18th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Yep! I've given up trying to get this so-called Linux for Humans to work ... Long Live MS!

Sorry but it's absolutely useless. Only for geeks without a life.

you're giving up because you're having issues with a broadcom wireless device and you're using a beta version of Ubuntu.

rofl.

reza81
I made a ubuntu box for my granddad & he can work with it. He is 71 years old!

LOL

oilchangeguy
Thanks for that horribly unbased and rude post.

If you want help, tell us what's wrong.

hell, let the idiot go. he's crying about problems (see his other threads) with 7.10. IT'S STILL BETA SOFTWARE. DON'T USE BETA SOFTWARE OF ANY TYPE!

jimrz
October 18th, 2007, 02:37 AM
use what suits YOU ... but then you MUST allow others the same priviledge. Have a nice trip back to where you belong.

Drakkor
October 18th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Lol, @ title of post. even my dog can use it,lol :lolflag:

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I've spent all day trying to get help ... no=one seems to have the answer (other than a suggestion to stick with Windows!) to getting broadcom wifi installed. None of the so-called How-tos have been of any use whatsoever. Hours spent downloading so-called solutions, only to end up with a completely screwed installation which wouldn't let me login (cryptic Your session was less than 10 secs message).

believe me - I wanted to migrate BUT it's gotta be easier than this!

llamakc
October 18th, 2007, 02:41 AM
I've spent all day trying to get help ... no=one seems to have the answer (other than a suggestion to stick with Windows!) to getting broadcom wifi installed. None of the so-called How-tos have been of any use whatsoever. Hours spent downloading so-called solutions, only to end up with a completely screwed installation which wouldn't let me login (cryptic Your session was less than 10 secs message).

believe me - I wanted to migrate BUT it's gotta be easier than this!

It is easier. Buy hardware that is supported.

n3tfury
October 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM
It is easier. Buy hardware that is supported.

that's not much help really, but not EVERYTHING will be supported. it's amazing the amount of hardware support that Ubuntu has out of the box.

castalla
What makes you think I'm a HE ... call the nurse, Doctor, please.

Sef
Moved to Community Cafe.

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Well why don't they support Broadcom - there's pages of stuff here on TRYING to get it to work.

You're a very touchy lot, I must say!

taurus
Got a feeling that this one is going to get nasty real quick.

icechen1
So easy that i don't even understand very much about OS before and installed it without a prob.!
See you in Hardy then.

Caffeine_Junky
....sigh.... hmmm looks like I am a geek :guitar: :)

n3tfury
October 18th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Well why don't they support Broadcom - there's pages of stuff here on TRYING to get it to work.

some get touchy when you come off like you did in your first post. perhaps you should wait until 7.10 is actually released instead of using a beta version and try again?

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Easy yes if you want to stay permanently wired - I admit it worked fine with a copper wire. My point is that Vista worked out of the box over ther ether first time and then updated itself. That's how it should be for the Absolute Beginner - the tweaking comes later for those who want to do it.

llamakc
October 18th, 2007, 02:51 AM

Before this does get uglier, there is support for Broadcom, which is why you read and tried many how-to pages. They all were written at a certain time and they all probably worked for a period of time. However new chipset revisions are released all of the time.

The newer the device the more hassle you'll have (if the chipset maker has not released the specs).

Drakkor
October 18th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Did you go to System>Administration>Restricted Drivers Manager ?

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Fair point! I'll even consider doing that. And eat HUMBLE PIE if it works - promise!

Paul820
October 18th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Most hardware is built with windows in mind, that's why it is easier to install things in windows.

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Restricted Drivers Manager - no use at all = selected Broadcom and it just said some program wasn't installed to proceed - tried it in multiple setups and attempts.

skompier
October 18th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Sorry that you had a bad experience. I love Ubuntu and have had NO problems. I own and run several websites and I'm always amazed at people who say that they're leaving, but then they always stick around and reply to comments.

If MS is what you want...then go and enjoy it. It's clearly the best choice for you and your hardware. Seems pretty clear to me. Us geeks will still be here, enjoying the BEST distro available and playing D&D.

ticopelp
October 18th, 2007, 03:07 AM
It's a testament to this community that people will still try to help you after how rude you were in the initial post.

Being frustrated with Linux is perfectly understandable up to a point, but be specific in your questions and help requests and people will be glad to help. This is a community of unpaid volunteers, and no one owes you anything, but many take time out of their own day to help new users. Being insulting is absolutely uncalled-for.

All that said, I hope you give it another try, and that it works out for you. Best of luck.

tbroderick
October 18th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Restricted Drivers Manager - no use at all = selected Broadcom and it just said some program wasn't installed to proceed - tried it in multiple setups and attempts.

After looking at your posts, I think I have the same wireless as you, BCM94311MCG. Restricted Drivers Manager worked fine on it. Can you post the exact error message you recieved?

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Sorry - didn't think I was being really nasty or impolite. I asked for help and my post just sank into the morass - despite some who actually tried to help. The problem is that no=one seems to be able to give an answer that doesn't quickly degenerate into pages of commands, each of which lead me further into the swamp. Despite what you may think - I'm not computer illiterate, just can't spend my life trying to get a program to work!

I spent years working with DOS and Novell, then railed against Microsoft as it took over. I have to admit in its Vista incarnation, it's easy to install. What comes after, well that's why I hoped to get Ubuntu to work. I like it, it's just not possible at the moment to accept that it fits my needs (mainly wifi connection).

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Oh dear! In my frustration, I wiped 710. As far as I remember when I enabled the Boadcom firmware it said that the fwcutter program wasn't installed - I gave up at that point. I did go on line via wire and did update, etc. which seemed to work but I still got the fwcutter message.

My frustration is that I actually like Ubuntu but I MUST have wifi otherwise it's pretty useless to me.

Drakkor
October 18th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Now you can get the final release tomorrow,lol :)

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Does this imply that'll work with Briadcom wifi ?

tbroderick
October 18th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Oh dear! In my frustration, I wiped 710. As far as I remember when I enabled the Boadcom firmware it said that the fwcutter program wasn't installed - I gave up at that point. I did go on line via wire and did update, etc. which seemed to work but I still got the fwcutter message.

My frustration is that I actually like Ubuntu but I MUST have wifi otherwise it's pretty useless to me.

It does have wireless. My Dell wireless works fine. Are you sure it said bcm43xx-fwcutter wasn't installed? Check this blog post out:

http://ubuntu1501.blogspot.com/2007/10/wireless-in-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

I know you don't have a Dell notebook, but I do and it's the same wireless mini-pci card as you. Particularly, take note of the screenshots. Do they look familiar?

loell
October 18th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Does this imply that'll work with Briadcom wifi ?

in Gutsy? no one is sure i guess, but you can burn the livecd and try it if it works now, if it doesn't , you can just forget it.

easy as that :)

SunnyRabbiera
October 18th, 2007, 06:53 AM
by your first post it certainly seemed you were flame baiting.
Look just because your hardware doesnt work with Ubuntu or Linux doesnt mean its for geeks only.
No what it means is that hardware companies more target windows then anything else, the blame should never be on linux as its a WINDOWS ALTERNATIVE not a windows replacement.
Granted there is a lot of stuff that doesnt work in linux, but keep in mind it is not our fault.
I suggest if you are going to have this attitude then stick with windows, if you expect too much then you will be disappointed.
All I can suggest is stay where you are, if windows works better then use it, but you can bet in the very near future linux will catch up... Linux is growing.

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks a lot for the link. Okay it gets as far as Enable Firmware ... I never see the next screens because that's where the message about missing fwcutter comes in! The rest of the screens and info is very useful because it tells me what I should get! Thanks.

castalla
October 18th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Oh dear ... sorry! It was just an expression of utter frustration of being left floundering. At least it did provoke some people to actually come up with some helpful explanations and suggestions ...

I hate to give up!

tbroderick
October 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks a lot for the link. Okay it gets as far as Enable Firmware ... I never see the next screens because that's where the message about missing fwcutter comes in! The rest of the screens and info is very useful because it tells me what I should get! Thanks.

Well, you should try installing the packages it's complaining about. You can open up a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install bcm43xx-fwcutter

Then retry the restricted driver manager.

EdThaSlayer
October 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
LOL@Troll