PDA

View Full Version : When you can't use Gutsy, use this thread to cry out your sadness

Zdravko
October 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM
This thread targets all of the people who won't be using Gutsy Gibbon tomorrow. The reasons could be different for the different people. Some will lack appropriate hardware, others won't have the time to give it a try, etc, etc... Poor souls... And I am one of you, dear friends. I won't be happy tomorrow. There won't be Gutsy Gibbon on my computer. Let's use this thread to cry out loud our tragedy. :sad::sad::sad:

My reason is the following: currently the computer I am using has only 256 MB of RAM and an integrated video card with shared memory with RAM of about 8 MB. I might be able to test Xubuntu without the fancy desktop effects, but I am too afraid to dare to think of it! Secondly, this is not my computer, but it belongs to my mother and I don't want to break it in some way. Third, I am a student and I have to do a lot of programming and mathematical stuff, that could be done only under Windows.

Conclusion - tomorrow is a sad day for me. The sun won't shine for me. The Gods abandon me. How am I supposed to live until Hardy Heron? This makes 6 long and gray months full of anxious awaiting? :confused:

ticopelp
October 17th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I feel your pain. Truly, you are a benighted soul, and will eat ashes and tears all your life. Or, at least for the next six months.

Zdravko
October 17th, 2007, 06:15 PM
ticopelp (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=277684), you make me cry :(
Everybody will be overjoyed tomorrow. Only I will sit in the corner with wet eyes... :(

ticopelp
October 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
What about the users who end up with problems? Wireless doesn't work? No sound? Hamburger meat too fatty? Couldn't you balm your agony by laughing at their pain instead?

I guess that's probably not in the spirit of Ubuntu, is it? :(

vishzilla
October 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
wont be able to upgrade for another week, i wont be home for a week. but Gutsy will land on my desk oct 26th

marquarc
October 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I won't get to try it for lack of time, tomorrow. I'll be travelling out of town to help a friend put together his new computer. I'll download it, though, and give it a shot this weekend.

Zdravko
October 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Nope, I will be too sad to think of laughing at such users. BTW, I am not evil.
I thought that the spirit of Ubuntu is the right to have and use this wonderful OS. But I just won't be able to use it! Too bad for me :(

Zdravko
October 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM
vishzilla (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=192383), marquarc (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=290917) - excuse my rude tongue, but I think that you are lucky bastards! :(
Do you know how I will feel tomorrow?

n3tfury
October 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
This thread targets all of the people who won't be using Gutsy Gibbon tomorrow. The reasons could be different for the different people. Some will lack appropriate hardware, others won't have the time to give it a try, etc, etc... Poor souls... And I am one of you, dear friends. I won't be happy tomorrow. There won't be Gutsy Gibbon on my computer. Let's use this thread to cry out loud our tragedy. :sad::sad::sad:

My reason is the following: currently the computer I am using has only 256 MB of RAM and an integrated video card with shared memory with RAM of about 8 MB. I might be able to test Xubuntu without the fancy desktop effects, but I am too afraid to dare to think of it! Secondly, this is not my computer, but it belongs to my mother and I don't want to break it in some way. Third, I am a student and I have to do a lot of programming and mathematical stuff, that could be done only under Windows.

Conclusion - tomorrow is a sad day for me. The sun won't shine for me. The Gods abandon me. How am I supposed to live until Hardy Heron? This makes 6 long and gray months full of anxious awaiting? :confused:

sounds like you need to save a little money and get your own PC. don't use the student excuse though, lots of students have jobs.

Tahi_Kiwi
October 17th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I won't be able to update to Gutsy tomorrow because I have already installed the 7.04 to 7.10 upgrade process.

However, I am getting some Web browser access performance problems that I did not get with 7.04.

Zdravko
October 17th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I don't have much money, because I don't work. I have no time to work. I can barely keep up with the current load of lectures and exercises.

vishzilla
October 17th, 2007, 06:29 PM
vishzilla (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=192383), marquarc (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=290917) - excuse my rude tongue, but I think that you are lucky bastards! :(
Do you know how I will feel tomorrow?

hey, cheer up!!! good things will come around

n3tfury
October 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I don't have much money, because I don't work. I have no time to work. I can barely keep up with the current load of lectures and exercises.

maybe for christmas your relatives can pitch in and get you one for your studies.

Zdravko
October 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Maybe? Maybe not. I am jealous!

JacobRogers
October 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I won't be able to upgrade until next week, when I get back from the vacation I'm going on tomorrow. The hotel I'm staying at does have wifi, but I think I'd rather just wait till I get back then do geek stuff on vacation.

mthei
October 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Nothing really wrong with Feisty for me, but I'll still upgrade because I'd really like to try the new version of Gnome, but I think I'd rather wait at least a week and see if there are many issues with those who upgrade right away. I'm also looking forward to the fact that suspend and hibernate are supposed to work in Gutsy, which will be the main reason I will upgrade when I do.

agurk
October 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Same here, Feisty runs fine and I'll wait a couple of weeks for things to settle down before upgrading. Still excited though. :)

Sunflower1970
October 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I upgraded my PII to see how Gutsy works (Xubuntu flavor). And it seems perfectly fine. I'll probably wipe it clean and reinstall Gutsy this weekend for a clean slate :)

But, I'm too much of a chicken to upgrade my laptop and other desktop to Gutsy. I've been reading about suspend problems, and my laptop suspends perfectly with the imported Gutsy 2.6.22-10 kernel, read about a problem with ATI graphics cards (including the Mobility 7500 one)...so I'll be keeping Feisty for certain on it for quite some time.

Also reading about nVidia troubles. Freezes and such with the 7-series cards (Mine's a 7600GT card) I did have problems with nVidia when there was a Feisty kernel update to 2.6.20-16 (so I'm using 2.6.20-15) and when I tried to import the Gutsy kernel (2.6.22-13) my card lost all 3D graphics. So, I'm not touching that setup for quite some time either.

I'll be reading with interest in the next few weeks how things are going with Gutsy though, and based on the reviews I might upgrade, or I may wait till Heron...

tocky
October 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I would love to use ubuntu, but I have an Epox 8k9a7i motherboard, with the via vt8237 chipset, which makes it impossible to install ubutnu with grub, and I can't stand LILO.

Although once I succeeded to install it thanks to a guide, but my floppy doesn't work anymore so I can't install it.

kinematic
October 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Boohoo, can't use Gutsy. Get a life, it's only an operating system.

Zdravko
October 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM
It is even more than that. It is life.

argie
October 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM

No way! I have a desktop with 256MB RAM and Feisty vanilla runs on it nicely. In fact, that is the computer I used to run Dapper on. It was our main desktop :D

And oh yeah, I kept shifting between 32MB shared and 8MB shared. It was pretty good. It was actually pretty responsive. Windows 98 was faster, but that OS is just a pain these days. We did manage to get XP on it now, and it isn't any more responsive than Ubuntu is. Unfortunately, the ndiswrapper'd drive for the Netgear card disappears every now and then so my family uses XP, but Ubuntu is just as fast. (We used to use a wired line, so it wasn't an issue before)

Oh, and can you believe I actually enabled xcompmgr to have fun with? :D Ha ha, that and kompmgr in KDE. Funny. It was all on the CPU of course.

Crashmaxx
October 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I won't have time to mess with it tomorrow, but within a week my laptop will be upgraded to Gutsy. I'll wait a week or two before I mess with the desktop, between MythTV and the other things that have been inappropriately upgraded already, I'm a little concerned how smoothly it will go. So I'll need to at least back up anything important and make sure I have enough free time to mess with it.

I'm really hoping that Gutsy will mean I can have Compiz-Fusion on my laptop finally. The stupid Radeon card in it has made sure everytime I tried to use Compiz in the past that it would crash X hard. But Compiz has certainly come a long way and there have been a ton of improvements in Gutsy, so I'm hoping it will be downright simple this time.

orange2k
October 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I already upgraded to Gutsy a few days ago, but today I ordered 2 Gutsy CD-s: one for i386, the other 64-bit...
Since I have one big torrent to download, I can afford to wait: by the time Gutsy arrives, I will be ready - I plan to install my first 64-bit OS!!!
It would be a shame not to try out my new 64-bit dual core system with appropriate software...:-\"

hessiess
October 17th, 2007, 07:36 PM
i have no use for the 'fetures' that it adds(3d desctops are ugly/ messy. and i profur to do things via cli. and i do allot of 3d work, thus need all the resorses i can get (i already have the best pc i can afford)). also fisty fawn works flawlesly

arashiko28
October 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I have the count down on my MSN nickname, how ever, I won't be able to use it tomorrow, unless I leave it downloading at 12'o clock tonight and installit at dawn, that would have been if my internet was useful, but it is as slow as a slug in the middle of the Sahara... I'm a med student and I'm on midterms:( and friday it is also an exam day, so i'll be studying tomorrow night, can't afford to mess the pc with anything, if this were windows, I would not even browse internet, just in case antivirus chooses to fail and a virus breaks in (it happens):guitar:
Any way, tomorrow is a sad, sad, day for me too.:(:(:(

n3tfury
October 17th, 2007, 07:47 PM
It is even more than that. It is life.

if you think it's "life" you'd find a way to get a faster PC.

Swarms
October 17th, 2007, 08:19 PM
It doesn't support the hardware my laptop got, so stuck at Vista. :'(.
After LONG hours of work I could get Feisty to boot, but then neither my soundcard or wireless card would work. Then after long hours again I could get net, but the sound was too big a problem for my abilities. My dream scenario tonight is when I boot up with Gutsy and everything works out of the box. ;)
One more thing, must find an easy way to use update my iPhone, what would you suggest I could do?
Atleast until iPhone Linux is developed enough for using. ;)

creon_of_thebes
October 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I just can't get my Radeon X1200 card to work properly. I've tried a few guides, but nothing works great. At best, I run @ 800 x 600 (which is very, very ugly). Also, after updates or editing xorg.conf in any way, Ubuntu refuses to boot (black screen, blinking caps lock key). Anyone know any good places to trade laptops? I want linux.

SunnyRabbiera
October 17th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Me I will stick to pclinux if it doesnt work.
But it is strange, I got some low memory too (252) but I was able to run mandriva with compiz fusion pretty well on its live.
I hope I might luck out again

Zdravko
October 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Just a few hours to go. I wish everyone nice time. Let Ubuntu be with you. And I? What should I do now in order to forget the pain?

Zdravko
October 18th, 2007, 07:22 AM
It is not officially out. But tears start dropping! Why is not the Hardy Heron forum open? I'd like to post there! It will make me feel better. I can live 6 months while posting there. Just open it! Please!

tekpunk
October 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM
The upgrade doesn't work and the tracker for the torrent keeps refusing my connection. wtf?

conehead77
October 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I installed 64bit Gutsy from alternate CD, but all i get is a black screen after GRUB :mad:
32bit beta worked great before...
Will install again tomorrow, maybe it works then ;)

rickyjones
October 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm downloading it right now for installation this weekend I think...

-Richard

roachk71
October 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I may or may not try Gutsy out in t he next few days.

I tried the live CD a week ago, but lost the disc. Plus, I still may have to reinstall the proprietary nVidia drivers, along with the serialmonkey rt73 driver.

We'll see...

Zdravko
October 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
This is not fair! :(

neodorian
October 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Can't upgrade to final on my desktop because my internet is down at home and I was running it on my laptop but the most recent updates killed it and I can't find a solution on any of the forums. Maybe I will set up a dual boot on my work computer.

TidusBlade
October 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Cant upgrade because the servers are so full. Should have upgraded to the RC when I could have...

diskotek
October 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM
i renewed my computer by working in bar from 22.00 till 05.00... i was smoked for a long time :(

anyway, better try tot find a little job to upgrade it month by month at least.

DoruHush
October 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I found Gutsy, it wasn't a problem.
But the live CD do not work for me.
And it is for the first time when that happen to me.
I try all the other version till now with no problem,
before the actual install.
Theese one do not recognise my monitor (I think)
or my video card (which is integrated).
What should I do?

Zdravko
October 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I found Gutsy, it wasn't a problem.
But the live CD do not work for me.
And it is for the first time when that happen to me.
I try all the other version till now with no problem,
before the actual install.
Theese one do not recognise my monitor (I think)
or my video card (which is integrated).
What should I do?
You should start crying with me! Let's make it a kindergarten!

DoruHush
October 18th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I cry all over 3 posts now (not counting this one).
So it can be taken as kindergarten crying chorus.
But it don't wipe my tears.
:cry:

Zdravko
October 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
It is my turn to cry:
:cry::cry::cry:

Uuh, now I feel a little bit better.

KoolPenguin
October 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Gutsy LiveCD does not work, monitor kicks back wrong resolution (widescreen monitor). It does this with ubuntu, kubuntu and even other distros that have been released in the last couple of weeks that use the LiveCD.

I'm also using a Dell computer purchased about six months ago, so it is a bit shocking that ubuntu out of all of them does not work. Previous versions of Ubuntu work with no problems. What's Dell going to do if they use the LiveCD to install on new systems?

Does any one know if an upgrade will work instead of using the LiveCD for a clean install?

Zdravko
October 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Use the alternate CD.
Now leave me crying.

awakatanka
October 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Gutsy LiveCD does not work, monitor kicks back wrong resolution (widescreen monitor). It does this with ubuntu, kubuntu and even other distros that have been released in the last couple of weeks that use the LiveCD.

I'm also using a Dell computer purchased about six months ago, so it is a bit shocking that ubuntu out of all of them does not work. Previous versions of Ubuntu work with no problems. What's Dell going to do if they use the LiveCD to install on new systems?

Does any one know if an upgrade will work instead of using the LiveCD for a clean install?

Use the alternate version, still can save you're home dir with it.

For me wireless is a problem, it finally can connect to wpa and use knetworkmanger but it so boring slow and web page request is horrible have to wait a lot of seconds, its even worse if i use konqueror what i normally use.

thesmartace
October 19th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I graduate from university in a few weeks so I am swamped with assignments and studying for final exams :-( I know that if I install Gutsy I will be procrastinating too much :-P

Speaking of procrastinating... I should get off Ubuntu Forums and get back to work :lolflag:

Zdravko
October 19th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Bye! I have a "hole" (a time interval of several hours, whithout any lectures). That is why I am spamming here.

Zdravko
October 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM

-grubby
October 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM
had the beta installed, but it was too sloooow. I don't know if the official release works better, but I'm just going to stick to my new Install of 7.04

Zdravko
October 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM
nathangrubb (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=356069), you are happy. You have Ubuntu.
Now I use Win. :cry:

kellemes
October 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Can't use Gutsy because of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=583176
Not sure if this is something to cry over though.. it's just a reason to use another dist.

Zdravko
October 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
At least you can try some Linux. :cry:

thx11381974
October 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Tomorrow I won't have a pc.
I'm giving up all my worldly possessions, so I may go walk the Earth like Kane.

thx11381974
October 20th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Maybe I'll bring my laptop.

thx11381974
October 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM

On second thought It's supposed to rain tomorrow. I'll probably do the whole walk Earth thing Monday.

Zdravko
October 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM
It is snowing in Bulgaria.

overlord.gaurav
October 21st, 2007, 02:45 AM
Just waiting for bug fixes to pop-up! :)

Zdravko
October 23rd, 2007, 06:26 PM

bigb_thedestroyer
October 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I did a fresh install of gusty from fiesty and I wasnt all that impressed. I had a heck of a time with synaptic manager for some reason, and there is a typo, a very annoying typo for me in the Update manager, where there is "lYou" at the top of the screen. That bothers the heck out of me for some reason.

I know that fiesty in 100% stable on my lappy so I reverted back... I should have saved some of my config files for my apps. now I have to set up my system again :(

Zdravko
October 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM

EdThaSlayer
October 25th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Gutsy boots so slow. Basically, it is too slow to be of any use(I like to take my laptop here and there). :-(

Zdravko
October 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
But at least you have it.

igknighted
October 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Zdravco, if your computer truly has the specs you posted, running gutsy should not be a problem for your at all.

I am not using Gutsy because no Debian-based distros run properly on my current hardware. So its Mandriva for me, and I couldn't be happier with it at the moment.

Zdravko
October 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM
The computer is not mine. And I feel uncomfortable using it.

Zdravko
October 28th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Zdravko
October 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM

JAPrufrock
November 1st, 2007, 05:03 AM
I finally got around to installing Gutsy. On one box (64bit) I decided to update. Unfortunately Compiz broke on me. It worked fine on Feisty, but on Gutsy I can't resize windows, and the terminal window is completely white! So I had to disable compiz for now. Looks like I'll have to do a clean install.
On another box (32 bit) I couldn't update because I didn't have enough hard disk space. So I had to repartition my harddrive and do a clean install. Again, everything worked except for Compiz. I only have a 32 mb nvidia card, so I didn't expect much- but nothing? It worked on Fesity. However, it was slow and so I didn't use it much, so it's no great loss. Even so, no thumbs up for Gutsy.

Zdravko
November 1st, 2007, 08:19 AM

Zdravko
November 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Tomorrow is Monday. Another week has passed without Ubuntu.

Zdravko
November 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Paqman
November 18th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Gutsy (or more accurately, Compiz) doesn't play nicely with my hardware. Ironically, this situation came about due to my upgrading the PC, including a switch from ATI to Nvidia card. Rats.

Atreus12
November 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM
6.06 worked great. I installed it on 5 computers flawlessly
I skipped 6.10
7.04 worked ok. I was able to install it on 4 out of 5 computers. The last one would not boot the live cd, nor the alternate cd
7.10 didn't work well. I was only able to install it on 1 out of 5 computers. The others either won't boot the cd, or have serious X problems.

I am a little bummed. How come as the version #'s go up, the hardware support goes down?

derby007
November 18th, 2007, 04:10 PM
When you say wont boot the CD, do you mean the Live CD or Alternate CD. I also couldnt boot the Live CD, & had to use Alt CD, and even then I needed to edit xorg.conf, but........its now working & compiz is also working, no hassle.

Linuxratty
November 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I feel your pain. Truly, you are a benighted soul, and will eat ashes and tears all your life. Or, at least for the next six months.

So true and so tragic...
As for me,my motherboard died on the Linux box,so I'm waiting for a new one.
The replacement Dell has also not arrived,so I'm using the house server,which has XP...The geek in charge would be really po'ed if i put Kbuntu Gutsy on here.

Dimitriid
November 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I had to outright uninstall network-manager in favor of wicd to be able to even use Gutsy on my laptop. As you might imagine, the ability to shut down on a laptop is critical, those hdds are already stressed out and hard reset every time to shut down would really put stress on the situation.

Wireless its still totally unreliable so I need to switch the default driver ( which works with broadcom 43xx if you allow restricted drivers to install the firmware ) to ndiswrapper and see if there is any improvements. Otherwise I might need to replace the wireless NIC altogether.

I also had more than one installation problem, so a completely newbie person would had probably given up on it. As it stands, I can't recommend Gutsy to laptop owners unless they are willing to learn a bit and troubleshoot a lot.

Zdravko
November 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Another lonely week has passed by. :cry:

Glenn1337
December 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM
I cant use it because my dad is a wuss and he thinks it'll **** up his PC

-grubby
December 1st, 2007, 03:10 AM
I cant use it because my dad is a wuss and he thinks it'll **** up his PC

why don't you explain to him what a live-CD is then?

Zdravko
December 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
A sad week ++.

Zdravko
December 10th, 2007, 08:55 AM
++ a_lonely_week :cry:

-grubby
December 12th, 2007, 05:29 AM
oh sorry to rub it in, but I'm using gutsy right now. To make it better, my other PC is still using feisty

Zdravko
December 16th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I have a laptop now!
This one here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=640709
But no one wants to tell me whether it works with Ubuntu :cry:

Zdravko
December 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
It seems it is completely incompatible with Ubuntu. Just have a look here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=644817