PDA

View Full Version : Shipit. CD For non-commercial use only.

MalfunctioningMartian
October 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I ordered Ubuntu 7.04 through ShipIt but when I received the cd on the packaging stood "...for non-commercial use only...". What is defined as commercial use?

rickyjones
October 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I ordered Ubuntu 7.04 through ShipIt but when I received the cd on the packaging stood "...for non-commercial use only...". What is defined as commercial use?
Commercial usually implies business, enterprise, etc... Home or personal use would be defined as on your personal computer.

-Richard

Martje_001
October 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I think you may not sell it, that's all.

Tomosaur
October 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM
As far as I'm aware you're allowed to sell Ubuntu CDs - but I'm not sure whether the same deal applies to the CDs that ShipIt provides.

rickyjones
October 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I think you may not sell it, that's all.

Now that I think about it I want to change my answer to this. Commercial means business means making money, so you can't sell the CDs to make a profit. You can give them away though :P

-Richard

perce
October 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Doesn't this infringe the GPL?

davidshere
October 17th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Commercial means business means making money

What if my business is losing money?

MalfunctioningMartian
October 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Can someone copy the CD and sell that?

ahaslam
October 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Doesn't this infringe the GPL?

That's what I thought. Unless the disc content differs from a downloaded iso?

mostwanted
October 17th, 2007, 07:45 PM
That's what I thought. Unless the disc content differs from a downloaded iso?

GPL only covers software. I suspect since these are tangible objects, it's alright to make the user agree not to sell them before he/she is allowed to have them shipped. The software itself is a different story.