PDA

View Full Version : TV Projector thingy

Officer Dibble
October 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Has anyone tried one of those TV Projector things? Y'know, you buy some sort of screen magnification kit and you can project your 28" screen to 150"...

Sounds a little dodgy to me, but I've never seen one working. :)

popch
October 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM
The projected image would be roughly 5 times the size of the original or 25 times in area. That would take either a 25-fold increase in picture brightness or a very dark room to allow viewing of the magnified picture.

Not a very good proposition. Might drastically reduce the life time of your tv.

n3tfury
October 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Has anyone tried one of those TV Projector things? Y'know, you buy some sort of screen magnification kit and you can project your 28" screen to 150"...

Sounds a little dodgy to me, but I've never seen one working. :)

since you don't seem to be talking about a front projector, can you link to what you're talking about?

bigken
October 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
sounds like one of them projectors you make yourself you buy the kit and build the box you get them on ebay
probablys a piece of crap

popch
October 17th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I think the OP means something like an OHP (overhead projector) without the box containing the lamp and the slide, i.e. just the projecting lens and possibly a box which hides the tv screen.

Officer Dibble
October 17th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Well, I've been finding sites like this one, which as you can see they have had to really turn everything all the way up to 11. (Spinal Tap joke there...)

http://www.bigscreenprojection.com/contents.htm

http://www.diytvprojection.co.uk/sample_photos.html

Hmm... the video's at the bottom of the second page look really cheesey, but I don't know if that is purely down to the quality of the video because the stills look a little better.

The suggestion about the OHP is a really good one... I remember trying that out many years ago and I've got one of them lying around.

Henry Rayker
October 17th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Even the stills look pretty terrible. Not worth it, IMO.

n3tfury
October 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM
wow, that looks terrible. not a good idea.

bigken
October 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
i think they are designed on light house technology one huge lamp and a massive magnifier :lolflag: the quality realy is poor

adamklempner
October 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I borrowed a Fresnel lens from work to see how these things worked a while back. If you put the TV upside down it does indeed project an image. But as you can imagine, it is very dim and the room needs to be completely dark. Don't waste your time.