PDA

View Full Version : Unbuntu's Hype Is Misleading

beercz
October 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM
http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200709/page02.html

Is this true?

My Dad uses Ubuntu linux, having been a long time Windows user and once he got through a small learning curve, has been able to do with Ubuntu what he was previously able to do on his Windows machine.

Comments?

Druke
October 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
jsut on teh second paragraph

They say that "Its a replacement fof Windows", "Windows users will feel they are in home".
Ubuntu says that no where

It doesn't support any proprietary tools or software out of the box and for many things you need to know the Linux command

the first part is legal issues, the command line part is rather obsolete, I can watch dvds play mp3s and using 3d desktop all with about three clicks each. (3 clicks to accept the fact that there is a license with given software that ubuntu doesn't control and may in fact be illegal in your country)

srt4play
October 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Is this true?

My Dad uses Ubuntu linux, having been a long time Windows user and once he got through a small learning curve, has been able to do with Ubuntu what he was previously able to do on his Windows machine.

Comments?

I think you answered your own question with your mini testimonial about your dad.

x0as
October 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Very biased, PClinuxOS magazine & PClinuxOS won :lolflag:

conehead77
October 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM
PClinuxOS fails because of bashing other distros.

In this forum i always read advices like "Try other distros and make up your mind".

PClinuxOS seems to say "Dont try other distros, cos they are not ready/as good as PClinuxOS/rubbish".

This is only the 2nd time i see sthg like this from PClinuxOS, so i might be wrong.

undine
October 17th, 2007, 01:47 PM
PCLinuxOS is a terrible distro, that has to resort to calumny and spreading falsehoods in order to try and bolster their user-base.

ddrichardson
October 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Its irritating when Microsoft resorts to FUD, but it's shameful when another Linux distribution starts.

thx11381974
October 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Well I'm using a xp laptop right now. I tried Ubuntu and hated it. Then recently I tried Kubuntu loved it. Most windows users will not warm up to Nome. Kde is more intuitive and well more like windows.
Ubuntu is no way slower than xp It's faster, cleaner, and way more stable. Kubuntu is fast than Vista even when its running off the live cd. The article looks biest against Ubuntu right from the beginning. The only part I can agree with is about needing to use the command line.
Most people will not use Ubuntu as long as they have to use the command line end of story. Yes I know Windows 3.1/95 you had to enter commands by hand. You know what in the 3.1 days hardly anyone had a computer. By the time 95 came around most of command crap was gone and PC's came into wider use. For about 99% of end users the command line is going to be the end of their use of Linux.

BigSilly
October 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I find this kind of crap really upsetting. I'm trying to figure out which distro to put on my PC along with the new Gutsy, and I'd been seriously considering PCLOS after having a mate bang on ceaselessly about how wonderful it is. But I dunno, something puts me off, and I think it's this type of fantard-ism. Why do they feel the need to rubbish other distros in order to feel big? It's happened before hasn't it, and it's usually aimed at Ubuntu.

I've got a disc with PCLOS, and a Mandriva 2008 disc too, and I am edging ever more to the Mandriva install. It's a pity in a way because I hear nothing but good things otherwise about PCLOS. That said, the new Mandriva is a bit special innit?

cogadh
October 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Very biased, PClinuxOS magazine & PClinuxOS won :lolflag:
There's your truth, plain and simple.

Lozz
October 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM
What a load of crap. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I've never seen a more biased appraisal of a
Linux distro than this article's 10 out of 10 prefer PCLinuxOS, and 0 out of 10 prefer Ubuntu. Get real. I'm an Opensuse user myself, so I'm not directly mingled into your catfight. "I'm running a computer institute and I have new, middle and advanced users. People who know Linux very well and those who don't even know "L" of Linux." I smell a rat. If you want to be considered a serious publication, don't claim objectivity on false pretenses. PCLinuxOSMag is advertisement and service for PCLOS users. Don't try to produce fake or extremelybiased "tests" written by "IT professionals". I don't care, if the test is actually carried out or if Anant Gowerdhan is in fact "running a computer institute". It's still a poorly written and biased test.
That's all.
Thank you for your attention
Mads

I just found that in the letters section of this months PCLinuxOS magazine. It does seem they've ruffled a few penguin feathers here. I seem to remember seeing a few forum posts around about it as well. All they seem to have achieved is damaging their own credibility.

greymongrey
October 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Is this true?

No. Ubuntu is where it is because it belongs to be there. That is a really sad article and it was a poor decision on someone's part to include it in the official PCLOS Magazine.

stimpack
October 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Ubuntu is overhyped (to a silly degree imo) especially for us KDE folk. But never underestimate the power of a single CD install and Debian package management.

kshane
October 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Hi all. I just found an article on my morning news readings that really ticked me off. First, who says Ubuntu (or ANY Linux) is a replacement for Windows? Does any official stuff from Canonical make that claim? I haven't seen it. Any ways, here's the link to this article:

http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200709/page02.html :x

Whatcha think??? I shot off an email right away to the editor. Wonder if they'll have the "cajones" to print it?

Kevin

igknighted
October 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Please, this has been beaten to death... can we move on for the love of god?

Lozz
October 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Hi all. I just found an article on my morning news readings that really ticked me off. First, who says Ubuntu (or ANY Linux) is a replacement for Windows? Does any official stuff from Canonical make that claim? I haven't seen it. Any ways, here's the link to this article:

Whatcha think??? I shot off an email right away to the editor. Wonder if they'll have the "cajones" to print it?

Kevin

Would that make you Mads? If so its in there.

Perfect Storm
October 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Thread merged. Properly move it to somewhere else also....
Edit: Recurring Discussions it gonna be...for now.

greymongrey
October 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Please, this has been beaten to death... can we move on for the love of god?

Apparently not. :D

sekoseko
October 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM
just laugh man und continue your life :lolflag:

computer institute!!! :popcorn:

vishzilla
October 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Not right, I always believed with Linux the users have a choice. This is not good for the Linux community

Johnsie
October 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM
This article is what's known as "troll bait" or "trolling". It's an article specifically designed with some controversial lines to provoke a reaction out of people. Many webmasters and bloggers do this to try and attract visitors to their site or to get attention. People like this usually thrive on attention and controversy. Sometimes they have valid points but normally they exaggerate problems to make things seem worse than they really are. These articles can normally be detected simply from the controversial title most of them have.

Ps. when I started with Ubuntu I knew NOTHING about Linux, so Ubuntu isn't only for Linux experts. The article is nothing more than a pack of lies.