PDA

View Full Version : You guys know if Vista can be resold?

ZarathustraDK
October 17th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Heya.

Just bought a new laptop today, one of those Medion laptops from Aldi (pretty good horsepower for the money).

A point of annoyance for me was that when I booted it up it came with Vista home edition pre-installed, prompting me to accept the license-agreement in order to use the laptop.

Well, I didn't accept.

Now I'd like to know if it's legal to resell the installation-cd of Vista; been thinking about putting it at eBay or something for 0$ starter-bid, then make a big deal out of it like "how much do you want to pay to shred a Vista-cd?", basically auctioning it for destruction along with all the fine arguments and what I'm using instead, maybe get some youtube-hype up about it.

But is it legal? Again, I haven't accepted the license-agreement.

Or, if it's not possible, is there some way I can get my useless copy of Vista redeemed to make a more subtle statement? I live in Denmark btw.

tombott
October 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM
As far as I am aware this breaks Microsoft Licensing rules.
The laptop would come with an OEM license, and therefore the License is attached to the machine.

Tom.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM
That's the wonderful thing about XP and Vista - you never actually own it, its "leased". So I guess its not yours to sell. I love Microsoft.

EowynCarter
October 17th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Nope, you do own vista. you're just allowed to use it only on the computer that it was buy with on the fist time. (unless it's a box version, in that case, you do what you want with it).

Well, I have a vista licence tanks to the msdnaa, so, i won't need to buy a new windows for a while. And how knows, maybe by then, i can actually run everyting under linux, and don't need a windows anymore :)

ZarathustraDK
October 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Hmm.... what to do then?

- Shred it.

- Have a penguin take a dump on it.

- Scratch it and hang it on the wall.

Decisions decisions... :)

Lampooning a product in public space is a little better (and a lot more fun) than voting with the wallet, although both aren't mutually excæusive. :guitar:

EtniesBMX
October 17th, 2007, 10:14 AM
A guy got Acer to agree to refund him for win XP after a long, and well reasoned correspondence. His copy of windows came with the EULA pre-accepted which Acer claimed made the software used, in effect making his computer "used" before he could even open in, and therefore non-refundable. He eventually convinced them that he deserved his money back for XP.

To make a long story (or thread) short, he had to send his computer away to them; they made sure his hard drive was formatted, and he got a a small amount of money refunded to him. Unfortunately, he had to pay for shipping both ways which amounted to more than the refund. I don't believe he has received his computer back from the Acer Tech Support either.

Read about it here.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=139627

Still, it is an encouraging story because he convinced them to give him a refund after they initially seemed very steadfast.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 18th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Nope, you do own vista. you're just allowed to use it only on the computer that it was buy with on the fist time. (unless it's a box version, in that case, you do what you want with it).

Well, I have a vista licence tanks to the msdnaa, so, i won't need to buy a new windows for a while. And how knows, maybe by then, i can actually run everyting under linux, and don't need a windows anymore :)

No. read the EULA. You own squat.

Nunu
October 18th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Do what i did and break the law properly drive as fast as you can on the motorway then let it fly out the window. looks pretty cool get a friend with a camera to help :popcorn:

lancest
October 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM
True!
Windows Vista like previous versions of Windows is proprietary software leased to you under a license that severely restricts how you can use it.
Even when you buy XP or Vista you don't own it.
Microsoft says it best:
This software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. Anybody that wants to rent their OS can go back to MS now. Sickness Bleh!

lyceum
October 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Heya.

Just bought a new laptop today, one of those Medion laptops from Aldi (pretty good horsepower for the money).

A point of annoyance for me was that when I booted it up it came with Vista home edition pre-installed, prompting me to accept the license-agreement in order to use the laptop.

Well, I didn't accept.

Now I'd like to know if it's legal to resell the installation-cd of Vista; been thinking about putting it at eBay or something for 0$ starter-bid, then make a big deal out of it like "how much do you want to pay to shred a Vista-cd?", basically auctioning it for destruction along with all the fine arguments and what I'm using instead, maybe get some youtube-hype up about it.

But is it legal? Again, I haven't accepted the license-agreement.

Or, if it's not possible, is there some way I can get my useless copy of Vista redeemed to make a more subtle statement? I live in Denmark btw.

Sell the hard drive with Vista installed, and buy a new hard drive. Then they can accept the licence and they do not have to worry about the disk.

Caffeine_Junky
October 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Heya.

Well, I didn't accept.

Now I'd like to know if it's legal to resell the installation-cd of Vista; ....

Well, I have a laptop that came pre-installed with "XPsp2 - Home", and the cd I got with that was a "recovery disk" (which means you can restore your installation to the factory state) ..It is not a standard full installation CD and will only work on the machine/hardware it was made for. So it is useless to anyone accept me/my laptop.

So I would hang on to it If I was you, ..after all you have already paid for it :)

hyper_ch
October 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM
depending on where you are from you can get reimbursed for the unwanted licence.

Lord Illidan
October 18th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Does the recovery disk only work if you keep the recovery partition? If so, I'm screwed :lolflag:

I had Vista Home Premium on this laptop (Sony Vaio), and I wiped it completely...I still have the recovery CD, though.

hyper_ch
October 18th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Actually:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

Vista Licence (on top... you have to scroll up when opening the PDF as it opens not on top)

By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not
use the software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit. If you
cannot obtain a refund there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for
information about Microsoft’s refund policies. See www.microsoft.com/worldwide. In the
United States and Canada, call (800) MICROSOFT or see www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm.