PDA

View Full Version : Should I try Gutsy 64?

hellmet
October 17th, 2007, 05:02 AM
I'm gonna get a PC based on 64bit Athlon in a couple of days. I never had a 64 bit before. I heard that 64 bit versions are really not the best to use, and that people install the regular version on their systems instead for better compatibility.
I need to know if this is correct. If yes, is the situation any better with Gutsy? If I install the regular 32 bit version, does it mean I won't be able to utilise the CPU's power fully?

PurposeOfReason
October 17th, 2007, 05:19 AM
If you want to get 64bit opinions, listen to 64bit users who actually gave it a shot. I'm running 64bit 7.04. I tried Gutsy for a while but went back just because I messed up my install and decided I didn't need Gutsy yet. I have flash AND java working perfectly and everything that would matter for 64bit, is 64bit. Once you know what's up, you'll have no problems.

Spr0k3t
October 17th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Running 64bit here as well. Java and Flash work fine. The only compatibility problems you will have are from applications with closed source binaries. Everything else works as it should.

Dark Aspect
October 17th, 2007, 05:29 AM
I'm gonna get a PC based on 64bit Athlon in a couple of days. I never had a 64 bit before. I heard that 64 bit versions are really not the best to use, and that people install the regular version on their systems instead for better compatibility.
I need to know if this is correct. If yes, is the situation any better with Gutsy? If I install the regular 32 bit version, does it mean I won't be able to utilise the CPU's power fully?
Hi

I use Ubuntu 7.04 64-bit and I have few issues.The first is Flash while there are several work arounds there is no easy way to install it.You have to use nspluginwrapper for Flash or install 32-bit Firefox.

Read This for more info related to 64-bit Flash (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMD64/FirefoxAndPlugins?highlight=%28amd64%29)

Second is the N64 emulator,I can only use it in dynamic recompiler mode.Which caused a lot of slow down in some games.Getlibs (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790) works great for Cedega and most 32-bit applications.Bottom line I have not had a problem with 64-bits.

PurposeOfReason
October 17th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Hi

I use Ubuntu 7.04 64-bit and I have few issues.The first is Flash while there are several work arounds there is no easy way to install it.You have to use nspluginwrapper for Flash or install 32-bit Firefox.

Read This for more info related to 64-bit Flash (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AMD64/FirefoxAndPlugins?highlight=%28amd64%29)

Second is the N64 emulator,I can only use it in dynamic recompiler mode.Which caused a lot of slow down in some games.Getlibs (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790) works great for Cedega and most 32-bit applications.Bottom line I have not had a problem with 64-bits.
You're lying about the flash part. Kilz made a sript that just by clicking run, you're fine. In 7.10 you can get it in synaptic.

Dark Aspect
October 17th, 2007, 06:02 AM
ignorance not lying,sorry I thought you had to use nspluginwrapper.I did actually.

hellmet
October 17th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Excellent.. Can't wait for my computer and ubuntu 7.10 :D .. Pretty excited..

misfitpierce
October 17th, 2007, 07:23 AM
I love 64 bit. Never 32 bit again... You can run 32 bit programs by foring architecture which you can google for a guide. Most programs 99% come in 64 bit as well as 32 bit now. Try it... Great speed enhancement.

thisllub
October 17th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I am running 64 bit Debian Etch based 64 Studio here and everything works except VirtualBox. That doesn't like the lowlatency kernel.

nonewmsgs
October 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
64-Bit has really come along way. it is now in the position where i would recommend it to anyone who can use it as the preferred version. cheers to all those who helped make this possible.

Paqman
October 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
ignorance not lying,sorry I thought you had to use nspluginwrapper.I did actually.

You do, but if you get Flash from Synaptic the wrapper is a dependency, and thus installed automatically.

tom-ubuntu
October 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I will give it a try aswell, or again. Feisty did not really work for me; it actually crashed heavily. And as I needed a computer asap, I did not have the time to play around with.

But I am pretty sure, Gutsy will work fine in 64bit. I am really looking forward to it. It looks fantastic. Can't wait to get my hands dirty with it :)