PDA

View Full Version : Selling Ubuntu Systems in the UK

benweston
October 16th, 2007, 05:59 PM
NOTE: Originally posted this in the wrong forum! *doh!*

Much like another thread from the US, I'm looking to expand my business to selling Ubuntu systems online. I've been a Linux user for over 10 years and an Ubuntu user since it's initial release candidate!

My aim would be to have a small range of 4 base systems, customisable, starting at £269 inc VAT and Delivery up to £999 inc VAT and Delivery. These have already been priced up. All components are fully Ubuntu-compatible and setup with extras like WINE and and the various codecs (MP3, DVD, etc) preinstalled. A restore image would also be supplied should the user bork the system!

I will also sell Ubuntu-compatible accessories on the site so any Ubuntu users looking for a printer, graphics card, scanner, webcam, etc can buy it from us with the guarantee of 100% compatibility.

Any UKers (or others!) got opinions or suggestions on this?

Ben

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all systems can be bought with the option of Windows XP/Vista installed as well. Either in a QEMU environment (in which we just supply the CDs and don't install as I think it breaches legality) or as a dual-boot!

regomodo
October 16th, 2007, 07:58 PM
basically something like this?

http://efficientpc.co.uk/

They have some nice setups but lack a little in the accessories department

benweston
October 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Exactly. Except my sums suggest they could be beaten on price. And I don't think their site (and even Dell's Ubuntu site) is that well laid-out and their aftersales support seems to leave much to be desired.

I think there's a lot that could be done to make Ubuntu systems more accessible and bring them a little more mainstream with the same level of support we see with Windows systems.

I want to know what encourage people to buy a system from a vendor rather than build it themselves?