PDA

View Full Version : AmigaOS 4.0

Freddy
August 17th, 2005, 10:01 PM
My first computer was a SVI 128 back in the early 80s but I fell in love with the hole computing thing when my father bought his first Amiga 1000 back in 85. I got myself a A500 around 88, and when the A1200 came out I was the first in line, even though I dreamt of the 4000 :)

I'm now longing for the new Amiga One and with the new operating system AmigaOS 4.0 but unfortunely I've actually never seen it in action, only looked at it, in some screenshots and read some reviews but is someone here using it or atleast even tried it and can tell me about the experience first hand. No computer dealership close to me has imported it, so the chances for me to try it is closely to none. (if I'm not buying myself a box, that is :))

Maybe I'll just coff (hmm not sure about the spelling there :)) up the money and order it from the states ;) /// Freddan

TravisNewman
August 18th, 2005, 02:37 AM
hmm. That actually doesn't look half bad.

weasel fierce
August 18th, 2005, 05:52 AM
My Amiga 1200 is still my fave computer ever.

Freddy
August 18th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Mine was my fathers A1000, it took computers to the future and the A4000T (tower edition) is still the most beutiful computer built to this day.

Still want to hear from someone who have used Amiga One and AmigaOS 4.0 firsthand, what's it feels like, compatiblity with older apps, demos and of course games.

Does it feel like home or has intuition completly changed and if so, is it for better or worse ? Plz give me something to dream about until I can gather the money to buy one myself :). /// Freddan

YourSurrogateGod
August 18th, 2005, 09:26 PM
My first computer was a SVI 128 back in the early 80s but I fell in love with the hole computing thing when my father bought his first Amiga 1000 back in 85. I got myself a A500 around 88, and when the A1200 came out I was the first in line, even though I dreamt of the 4000 :)

I'm now longing for the new Amiga One and with the new operating system AmigaOS 4.0 but unfortunely I've actually never seen it in action, only looked at it, in some screenshots and read some reviews but is someone here using it or atleast even tried it and can tell me about the experience first hand. No computer dealership close to me has imported it, so the chances for me to try it is closely to none. (if I'm not buying myself a box, that is :))
Check ebay if you would like to get one.

Maybe I'll just coff (hmm not sure about the spelling there :)) up the money and order it from the states ;) /// Freddan
It's cough.

Freddy
August 18th, 2005, 09:37 PM
It's cough.
Thank's, every day you learn something new, can't be a complete waste of time :)

Check ebay if you would like to get one.
I know how to get one, but it cost quite a bit and that's kind of scaring me away (at least for now) For about 5 years ago I would already have one but nowadays not all my money can go to computers (hate get older and get more responsabilities:))

I just wanted to chat with some dude who had cross overed to Linux about the new OS4, comparing and such. /// Freddan

Teroedni
August 18th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I wish i could afford it
Anyway in case you didnt know there exist a Amiga system for Pc using Linux kernel
Its called Aros http://www.aros.org/ :)
It isent finnished but is closing yust look at this screenshot http://www.tgmonline.it/tgmfiles/bovas/aros/amistart_aros_1.jpg

crispingatiesa
August 18th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I had a A400T with a Video Toaster back in 1994. Awesome, It was a shared computer for video editing and the works. I remeber it had the 68040 processor from motorola and I had mounted in a Warp card for speed. What was most amazing at that time was that running at only 28 mhz the processor was capable of real multitasking (the languaje for porting I remeber was the Arexx) and use to process graphics better that my home Intel 386 running at twice the speed.

TenPlus1
February 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Now I feel nostalgic, it brought a tear to my eye when I remembered my Amiga 1200 and how easy it was to use with so little resources...

I did however build mines into a tower with a PPC card running at 133mhz, 64mb memory and a kewl BVision 8mb graphics card with full 3D support :) I miss my Amiga...

Ubuntu makes up for it in a way, and I hope the future of linux continues to gain popularity, stability and support for drivers and it's users...

forrestcupp
February 25th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Looks like it is only compiled for PPC or classic Amiga hardware with PPC expansion.

I remember in the late 80's using my C64 and dreaming about being able to afford an Amiga 500. I never used an Amiga, but they looked amazing back in the day.

D-EJ915
February 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Looks like it is only compiled for PPC or classic Amiga hardware with PPC expansion.

I remember in the late 80's using my C64 and dreaming about being able to afford an Amiga 500. I never used an Amiga, but they looked amazing back in the day.
yes, it only works on the Amiga hardware platform.

sunexplodes
February 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM

My Dad had a 500, and then a 2000. Those are the computers I was raised on, and they hold some of the responsibility for my love of, and skill with computers.

mips
February 26th, 2008, 11:27 AM
yes, it only works on the Amiga hardware platform.

Of which there are none available. They have an OS but no hardware.
In theory it could run on almost any PPC hardware but in their infinite wisdom they decided to restrict it to certain hardware that has a onboard rom chip of some sorts to use the OS. Very stupid, but hey the history of stupidy with Amiga goes way back.

tadcan
February 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Syllable is an open source attempt to recreate the Amiga OS for x86 machines. Haven't used it.

http://web.syllable.org/pages/index.html

handy
February 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Of which there are none available. They have an OS but no hardware.
In theory it could run on almost any PPC hardware but in their infinite wisdom they decided to restrict it to certain hardware that has a onboard rom chip of some sorts to use the OS. Very stupid, but hey the history of stupidy with Amiga goes way back.

Commodore made the mistakes that basically killed the Amiga hardware.

The die hard AmigaOS lovers have kept its heart beating for all these years. Then the odd entrepreneur comes along & tries to cash in on the community...

It's all a bit sad really; the Amiga was where I started in the end of 1986.

mips
February 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM
It's all a bit sad really; the Amiga was where I started in the end of 1986.

Same here.

They are flogging a dead horse if you ask me. The only hope I see for it is to open source the os and make it run on common x86 or PPC/Power processors. For drivers and stuff they can simply borrow code from freebsd.

This is a good example of how greed can kill something.

DrMega
February 26th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I had an A500 with a half meg expansion card and a second floppy drive. It was ace. I sold that and put the money towards my A1200 (which I still have). I later put a whopping 120MB (not GB, actually megabytes) hard disk in it. It was/is ace.

I once had the honour and privilige of fixing somebody's A4000 after they managed to screw up their filesystem somehow, but alas, I couldn't afford a 4000 at the time.

I've always thought that PCs are pants, but Amigas were ace. Naturally an A1200 or even a 4000 wouldn't stand a chance against modern PC hardware, but at the time the Amiga nailed the PC hands down.

handy
February 27th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I agree mips, it would be great it they let the AmigaOS go Open. I would love to play around with it on a modern piece of hardware.

I suspect that whoever owns the rights to AmigaOS has hopes of making money out of it in the embedded products market.

There was a reputable Mac magazine (I can't remember it's name or the year) that did a review of all computers & software available for working with video & graphics, & they actually handed the prize to the Amiga! This was a cover story too!

One wonders if the editor of that mag' was a secret Amigo? :lolflag:

samwyse
February 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I got an Amiga 500 in 1992 or 1993. It's sad that the Amiga (and Commodore) got wasted by bad management. My friend had an A1200 with a 400 megabyte harddisk. That was neat.

Check this out: "BBC Micro Live (1985) - Commodore Amiga Debut" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IS-NYK-8KL0) (starts at 2:04) :)

Computing got boring after the fall of the 16-bit home computers with the dominance of PC/Windows. I got a PC in 1999 after a few years of not caring much about computers. Luckily a couple of years later I was introduced to GNU/Linux.

DrMega
February 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Here is an intriguing thought.

The word 'amigo' in Spanish means 'freind'. In the case of the feminine version, the 'o' is swapped with an 'a' to indicate that we are refering to the article in the femine sense.

Does this mean that the word Amiga was deliberately chosen to mean 'Girl freind'?

Just something to think about.:)

samwyse
February 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
The reason for the choice of Amiga has become legendary - Miner wanted a 'friendly' name that would dispel the air of confusion that surrounds most computers. As the Spanish word for female friend, Amiga fitted this profile. The fact that it came before Apple and Atari in listings also helped.
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/ahistory.html#1982

handy
February 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM

The word 'amigo' in Spanish means 'freind'. In the case of the feminine version, the 'o' is swapped with an 'a' to indicate that we are refering to the article in the femine sense.

Does this mean that the word Amiga was deliberately chosen to mean 'Girl friend'? :)

Well Amiga was the first computer I had a relationship with, & of course all you who have got to know me on the forum can tell that my mind has been f----d ever since. :lolflag: I'm still laughing though. ;-D !Right!

Teber
February 27th, 2008, 10:08 PM
i miss my amiga too. however, i think i found a new home in the ubuntu community. i look ahead now, with fond memories of what used to be.

mips
February 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Does this mean that the word Amiga was deliberately chosen to mean 'Girl freind'?

Just something to think about.:)

From what I recall the name was deliberately choosen to be 'friend'. The original creators were in the US and some of them could speak spanish. As for the female gender I suppose I could try and explain that. When we (western english speakers) refer to our toys like cars, boats etc we usually assign a 'female' gender to those objects and refer to them as 'her' or even give them female names. I suspect that is how we ended up with 'Amiga' instead of 'Amigo'