PDA

View Full Version : Save me from an Embarrasing situation

bigbrovar
October 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
i have been using Ubuntu now for the past 3 months..and it has been soo good that i made i decision to have a local shipit project in my country where i send ubuntu cd plus an aptcd to anybody who request for it in my country...the probelm i have is that whenever i use ubuntu based burners like gnome baker,k3b or basero to burn an ubuntu cd ..i always get errors when checking the cd for defects ..and i dont get this error when i use nero in my vista partitions..infact it is soo embarrasing when i friend comes to me house and i tell him ubuntu is all that..and when its time to write an ubuntu cd for him to try out ..i shut down and go to vista :( to wirte the cd for..please is there anything i can do..
my hardware config are

Gateway MT6821 notebook

2gb ram
intel core2duo
256 graphic memo
intel GMA 945
DVD DL writer
dvd wirting speed is 8x
while that for cd is 24x

Dixon Bainbridge
October 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
What speed are you burning at? please don't say maximum.

Data/iso's should be burnt at slow speeds, x2,x4 max, music/audio max x8.

Burning at stupid speeds will cause disk errors on the burn.

vambo
October 16th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Have you tried burning at X4, or even x2 ?

phidia
October 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM
You say you get errors when checking the cd for defects..are you checking the iso with md5sum before you burn it? Or maybe you need to specify how exactly you burn. I have never had a problem with gnomebaker or K3B.

mindtrick
October 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Also K3B has some settings like DAO, TAO, you might wanna learn that stuff.

bigbrovar
October 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
thanks guys for your response

What speed are you burning at? please don't say maximum.

Data/iso's should be burnt at slow speeds, x2,x4 max, music/audio max x8.

Burning at stupid speeds will cause disk errors on the burn.

Have you tried burning at X4, or even x2 ?

well gnome baker burns at x2 that is the default and i dont alter it..
k3b well that is just another story...it takes forever to lunch and when it does i get some errors which i cant quite remember..i have since switched to gnome baker and basero

but even that gives is not perfect as far as burn iso ubuntu cds are concern

You say you get errors when checking the cd for defects..are you checking the iso with md5sum before you burn it? Or maybe you need to specify how exactly you burn. I have never had a problem with gnomebaker or K3B.

well i check the cd for defect by shutdown the system inserting the cd and booting from it and select check cd for defect and it tells me that 1 or 2 files are missing...but i dont get this when i use nero in vista
please is there anything i can do ..maybe change my settings..am willing to learn..booting vista makes me feel like ...u just cant imagine ..me an advocate of ubuntu ..secretly sneaks into vista to burn ubuntu cd..yeah thats how i feel.

teet
October 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
If you're just burning an iso file, you can just right click on the file within nautilus and choose "burn to disc".

No need for an external program. It's worked like a charm everytime I have tried it.

-teet

vambo
October 16th, 2007, 04:24 PM
This might be worth a look
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/NeroLinux
I haven't used it so can't give any comments good or bad about it.
It's not in the repos so you'll have to download as is.
Hope it's of some use.

bigbrovar
October 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Re: Save me from an Embarrasing situation
This might be worth a look
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/NeroLinux
I haven't used it so can't give any comments good or bad about it.
It's not in the repos so you'll have to download as is.
Hope it's of some use.
thanks but i rather have an opensource alternative ....ok ok am broke and i cant pay for the software ..beside i think that gnime baker should work maybe there is something am not doing..

argie
October 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
thanks but i rather have an opensource alternative ....ok ok am broke and i cant pay for the software ..beside i think that gnime baker should work maybe there is something am not doing..

Maybe you should look at the 'details' thing in the GnomeBaker burning dialog and see if there's anything suspicious? Also, as teet suggested, have you tried just using nautilus to burn your discs?

n3tfury
October 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM
i burn iso's with k3b when in linux and nero when in windows and never have a problem. generic cd's too.

Balazs_noob
October 16th, 2007, 10:17 PM
well i check the cd for defect by shutdown the system inserting the cd and booting from it and select check cd for defect and it tells me that 1 or 2 files are missing...
maybe you should try to download a new image ...
good luck

lzfy
October 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Lol wrong thread :D