PDA

View Full Version : Will ubuntu.com's web servers drop under the heavy load of 18.10 launch?

siropel
October 16th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Will ubuntu.com's web servers drop under the heavy load of 18.10 launch?
I'm just curious if the frontpage (and forum) will go down as people try to visit ubuntu.com and download this new release.

Place your bets :)

-grubby
October 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I don't think it will drop...but on Fiesty's release it took a while for the servers to go back to normal again

PartisanEntity
October 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I don't think the forum and the main site share the same server.

oldos2er
October 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Will ubuntu.com's web servers drop under the heavy load of 18.10 launch?
I'm just curious if the frontpage (and forum) will go down as people try to visit ubuntu.com and download this new release.

Place your bets :)

I wouldn't worry about it--18.10 is quite a ways away!
7.10, on the other hand....

Dragonbite
October 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
They have 10 years to get their servers robust enough.. I think they can handle it.

Not to mention, by then people will be getting it (pre-installed) when they buy a new computer.

p_quarles
October 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I don't think the forum and the main site share the same server.
Perhaps not, but they do appear to be on the same network (according to DNS):

ubuntu.com: 91.189.94.158 / arctowski.canonical.com

ubuntuforums.org: 91.189.94.186 / ohiggins.canonical.com

So, it's possible they share bandwidth.

Dyegov
October 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Last time it got really slow with Feisty's release . . . Let's hope it doesn't this time.

PartisanEntity
October 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
They have 10 years to get their servers robust enough.. I think they can handle it.

Not to mention, by then people will be getting it (pre-installed) when they buy a new computer.

lol I didn't notice at first, now I get it, nice one :)

Seisen
October 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM
They didn't last few times with Feisty and Edgy but you never know since Ubuntu has become more popular. I think the only complaint when previous versions came out was the repositories when dist-upgrading were a lot slower than usual but that worked itself out after about two weeks.