PDA

View Full Version : Want Linux to Look like Windows

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 08:08 PM
XPde it. =)

somuchfortheafter
August 17th, 2005, 08:13 PM
why yes... yess you can. also this happens to be the shortest opening post i have ever seen....

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Looking at screenshots it sure looks like it. Except the top of the window part (whats that called?) where the minimize and maximize and X buttons are :P

XFCE has a good XP like skin called RedmondXP. The windows look like XP but not the taskbar.

Do you know of any similar projects trying to do the same but instead make it look like OSX instead? That'd be cool :) Ive been googleing trying to find that for along time.

Edit: It might be fun to try and trick someone who hates linux with this =O If anyone does that, PM me the results. Or post them :P

super
August 17th, 2005, 08:22 PM
i never really liked the XP look. :neutral:

even on my XP system i have it looking like win98 and i alway have the taskbar hidden.

i like my desktop either clean and completely keyboard-driven (good for working/typing) or OSXish and primarily mouse-driven (good for web-browsing/playing games) :grin:

somuchfortheafter
August 17th, 2005, 08:22 PM
gnome = osx

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 08:23 PM
gnome = osx

Gnome looks more like OSX then KDE does but it isnt close. XFCE has been the closest ive been.

And I dont mind the XP look... Its not as good as OSX but better then the old Platinum that was on OS9.

somuchfortheafter
August 17th, 2005, 08:27 PM
ok gnome + OSX Themes +OSX Icons + gdesklets + mono + e17 + beagle = .999(OSX)

suppose i should have made that clearer

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 08:29 PM
ok gnome + OSX Themes +OSX Icons + gdesklets + mono + e17 + beagle = .999(OSX)

suppose i should have made that clearer

Itd be nice for there to be one DE to look like OSX over 7 different things into one. That looks like it'l take alot of configuration.

aysiu
August 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Do you know of any similar projects trying to do the same but instead make it look like OSX instead? That'd be cool :) Ive been googleing trying to find that for along time. I don't know of a project (actual desktop or window manager) like that, but I use something like these themes in Gnome, and it accomplishes pretty much the same thing:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=14742
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=13548

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Those look really good, thanks =D

Ill download them when I get back to my linux computer. (Its not always hooked up to the internet)

drizek
August 17th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Looking at screenshots it sure looks like it. Except the top of the window part (whats that called?) where the minimize and maximize and X buttons are :P

XFCE has a good XP like skin called RedmondXP. The windows look like XP but not the taskbar.

Do you know of any similar projects trying to do the same but instead make it look like OSX instead? That'd be cool :) Ive been googleing trying to find that for along time.

Edit: It might be fun to try and trick someone who hates linux with this =O If anyone does that, PM me the results. Or post them :P
use KDE and use the baghira theme and kxdocker. very cool. check them out on kde-look.org

somuchfortheafter
August 17th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I don't know of a project (actual desktop or window manager) like that, but I use something like these themes in Gnome, and it accomplishes pretty much the same thing:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=14742
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=13548

that actually is osx.......

super
August 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM
@aysiu
do you use this theme? if yes, how the heck do you get that program bar at the top in GNOME? :?

i know it is possible in KDE but i've never seen it in GNOME before.

EDIT:

that actually is osx.......
nevermind! ;-)

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 08:38 PM
use KDE and use the baghira theme and kxdocker. very cool. check them out on kde-look.org

I thought kde wasnt very good on ubuntu, to get it going good you had to get kubuntu? Ill download it then and try =D

aysiu
August 17th, 2005, 08:43 PM
@aysiu
do you use this theme? if yes, how the heck do you get that program bar at the top in GNOME? :?

i know it is possible in KDE but i've never seen it in GNOME before.

EDIT:

nevermind! ;-)

I actually do use that theme, and it's actually not OS X. I use Aqua OS X for my window decorations, and I use RPanther for my controls. As for the program bar at the top--just right-click the panel and it'll give you the option of whether you want it at the the top or the bottom.

aysiu
August 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I thought kde wasnt very good on ubuntu, to get it going good you had to get kubuntu? Ill download it then and try =D Kubuntu is Ubuntu. A quotation from their website (http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php):

Kubuntu is the first Ubuntu derived distribution. Our Kubuntu CDs are made up of Ubuntu's base plus KDE. You can get exactly the same effect by installing Ubuntu and adding the KDE packages (and removing the Gnome packages) from the Ubuntu archives.

drizek
August 17th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I thought kde wasnt very good on ubuntu, to get it going good you had to get kubuntu? Ill download it then and try =D
just do apt-get install kubuntu

but the baghira in the ubuntu repositories is old and doesnt work as well as it should. download either the latest stable or, better yet, the CVS. and there is also an app called kompose for kde too, which is like expose in osx.

drizek
August 17th, 2005, 08:50 PM
heres screenshots with instructions

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=23535

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 08:51 PM
This post got a little interesting.

Was thinking about installing xpde on a system and seeing if someone would get that it isnt windows...like a grandparent or something....you know, see if they could tell.

lol

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 08:53 PM
This post got a little interesting.

Was thinking about installing xpde on a system and seeing if someone would get that it isnt windows...like a grandparent or something....you know, see if they could tell.

lol

But the funiest would be if they were someone who hated linux =P

"Wow, since when was XP so fast? It hasnt crashed in the last 5 minutes youve been showing me this!"

kvidell
August 17th, 2005, 08:54 PM
just do apt-get install kubuntu

but the baghira in the ubuntu repositories is old and doesnt work as well as it should. download either the latest stable or, better yet, the CVS. and there is also an app called kompose for kde too, which is like expose in osx.
I believe it's actually apt-get install kubuntu-desktop isn't it?
- Kev

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I believe it's actually apt-get install kubuntu-desktop isn't it?
- Kev

I think youre right =P

Random Question - When did people start calling their computers with linux a "linux box"? Ive never heard someone say Mac Box. Or Windows Box =P

aysiu
August 17th, 2005, 09:00 PM
But the funiest would be if they were someone who hated linux =P

"Wow, since when was XP so fast? It hasnt crashed in the last 5 minutes youve been showing me this!" In all fairness, my XP doesn't usually crash for at least a couple of hours.

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM
In all fairness, my XP doesn't usually crash for at least a couple of hours.

Yea. I like to exagerate things sometimes =P

I just stopped noticing when windows ME froze because it happened so often. Many times a day.

Edit: KDE is 154 MB to download. Ill pass =P

Ill use the links aysiu put up to make linux look like OSX =P XFCE wasnt NEARLY as big as KDE to download... Odd!

I just realised this. The X in OSX could also mean unix, since its based on it or something =O

super
August 17th, 2005, 09:06 PM
I actually do use that theme, and it's actually not OS X. I use Aqua OS X for my window decorations, and I use RPanther for my controls. As for the program bar at the top--just right-click the panel and it'll give you the option of whether you want it at the the top or the bottom.

@aysiu
no i don't mean the GNOME panel. look closely at the screenshot (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=13548) your post linked to and you can see that the GIMP has no application menu (file, edit , etc...) instead it is at the top, integrated in the top panel.

afaik, i don't think this is possible in GNOME, only in KDE or on an Apple. but if you got this working in GNOME please let me know. :smile:

aysiu
August 17th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Yea. I like to exagerate things sometimes =P

I just stopped noticing when windows ME froze because it happened so often. Many times a day.

Edit: KDE is 154 MB to download. Ill pass =P

Ill use the links aysiu put up to make linux look like OSX =P XFCE wasnt NEARLY as big as KDE to download... Odd!

I just realised this. The X in OSX could also mean unix, since its based on it or something =O Windows ME was a piece of garbage not even worthy of Windows 3.1 or Windows 95. Windows XP is far more stable.

XFCE isn't as big as KDE because it's a lightweight desktop. That's why XFCE is advised over Gnome or KDE for people with less than 256 MB of RAM.

aysiu
August 17th, 2005, 09:09 PM
@aysiu
no i don't mean the GNOME panel. look closely at this screenshot (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/s...p?content=13548) and you can see that the GIMP has no application menu (file, edit , etc...) instead it is at the top, integrated in the top panel.

afaik, i don't think this is possible in GNOME, only in KDE or on an Apple. but if you got this working in GNOME please let me know. :smile: Maybe I'm just operating in blind faith, but I think just about any look can be achieved in Linux. I've seen some crazy screenshots before! Nevertheless, even if my desktop doesn't exactly replicate Mac OS X, it comes pretty close where it counts.

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Windows ME was a piece of garbage not even worthy of Windows 3.1 or Windows 95. Windows XP is far more stable.

XFCE isn't as big as KDE because it's a lightweight desktop. That's why XFCE is advised over Gnome or KDE for people with less than 256 MB of RAM.

Id take ME over 3.1 and 95 anyday :P Did 3.1 even have a webbrowser? I dont have much experience with XP other then web browsing. Our family computer has XP and I cant download or install anything.

My ubuntu computer has 191 MB RAM. It runs gnome good, but XFCE great.

super
August 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM
windows ME *shudder*

how does xpde work? is it based on an already existing WM/DE? (like mezzo being based on FVWM) or is it an entirely new desktop environment.

it looks like it could be the basis for some very cool projects in the future.

@aysiu

Maybe I'm just operating in blind faith, but I think just about any look can be achieved in Linux. I've seen some crazy screenshots before! Nevertheless, even if my desktop doesn't exactly replicate Mac OS X, it comes pretty close where it counts.
agreed!
your article is a great read btw. :cool:

Freddy
August 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I just realised this. The X in OSX could also mean unix, since its based on it or something =O
Yes, OSX is based on a modified BSD kernel.

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Darwin....and what a lovely piece it is....Id rather run FreeBSD straight before Id consider such a thing.

xequence
August 17th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Ooooh, another idea. To trick someone even better, use IE under WINE. (If its possible... Says it is on the WINE website.)

kvidell
August 17th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I think youre right =P

Random Question - When did people start calling their computers with linux a "linux box"? Ive never heard someone say Mac Box. Or Windows Box =P
I've heard Windows Box before and have heard Linux Box before...
The other one I like is "boxen" (A play on the word "Oxen" or strong worker... only applies to Unix based systems as Windows systems "Aren't strong enough" ;)).

I like Boxen.
- Kev

drizek
August 18th, 2005, 01:06 AM
i themed firefox to look just like ie for my dad.

i installed firefox for him but he said he didnt like it and that he prefered IE. i asked him why and he said he "just did." so he thinks hes using IE now, and i dont have to worry about fixing his computer anymroe.

Brunellus
August 18th, 2005, 01:10 AM

i installed firefox for him but he said he didnt like it and that he prefered IE. i asked him why and he said he "just did." so he thinks hes using IE now, and i dont have to worry about fixing his computer anymroe.

God that's hilarious.

xequence
August 18th, 2005, 01:19 AM

I dont understand why anyone would want to use IE :K But good job :)

I've heard Windows Box before and have heard Linux Box before...
The other one I like is "boxen" (A play on the word "Oxen" or strong worker... only applies to Unix based systems as Windows systems "Aren't strong enough" ).

I like Boxen.
- Kev

I only started hearing box after I started reading linux forums. Never heard windows box.

I do agree. But boxen sounds better on things like servers and stuff, not desktop. Probably because desktops dont use as much processing power :P

drizek
August 18th, 2005, 01:46 AM
here is a screenshot if you are interested ;)

i dont understand it either, but i didnt really want to argue with him.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1471/untitled6lc.th.png (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled6lc.png)

TravisNewman
August 18th, 2005, 02:22 AM
the question still stands about that OSX-like screenshot. How did he get the application menu (file, edit, etc) in the gnome panel and not in the programs? That's quite interesting.

WildTangent
August 18th, 2005, 02:38 AM

i did exactly the same thing, my dad hates firefox for some reason. i couldnt get it to look EXACTLY the same, so i told him it was an update. so anyway, after about a week, he said the new update i installed was great, and spybot wasnt catching nearly as much spyware. so i told him he was using firefox that i modified to look like IE. he didnt talk to me for the rest of the day :P he still uses it too :)

-Wild

somuchfortheafter
August 18th, 2005, 02:38 AM
the question still stands about that OSX-like screenshot. How did he get the application menu (file, edit, etc) in the gnome panel and not in the programs? That's quite interesting.

because it really is osx or at least the base of and it was set as a background. people are doing lots of this bs on the psp right now. I swear i was on a forum and people thought a guy had a perfect psx emulator on a psp. notice i said perfect, there is one but the best one gets .5fps and no sound. so i hope nobody got their hopes up.

aysiu
August 18th, 2005, 02:39 AM
the question still stands about that OSX-like screenshot. How did he get the application menu (file, edit, etc) in the gnome panel and not in the programs? That's quite interesting. Even on the theme's page itself, there's quite a bit of debate over the authenticity/methods of the screenshot.

TravisNewman
August 18th, 2005, 02:40 AM
well, I don't think so. I have OSX and it really looks quite different.

It might have been edited, but I don't think its OSX

TravisNewman
August 18th, 2005, 02:46 AM
aha. He says that it's a panel applet that is still in development, as it's very unstable at the moment.

The dock is just a modified starterbar gdesklet, and I can believe that because I've done that with mine before.

newbie2
August 18th, 2005, 02:23 PM
XPde it. =)
don't shoot the messenger(me)...i am just quoting ;-) -->

"This is about as friendly as Linux gets (see here). The box, which is covered mainly with an impressive list of features, should have a "Linux Experience Not Required" sticker on it."
http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;920929017;fp;16;fpid;0