PDA

View Full Version : anyone interested in a project i need?

Mr. Joe
October 16th, 2007, 04:10 AM
you see, I have a fascination/hobby; evolution simulators. In particular Darwinbots.
This isn't really a game to me, I consider it a scientific experiment that anyone can contribute their findings to, much like the SETI at home project. I had Darwinbots running non-stop when I had wndows, but alas when I installed Ubuntu I found no linux version had been made. There has been talk of porting it by the main designer in the past, but it seems static. If I had any knowledge of programing I would make a functioning Linux version myself, but I must ask for the help of any willing programmer.

Darwinbots, as far as i can tell, is Open source and fairly popular, so porting it to linux seems like a great idea. Like other life sims that ARE on linux (although much less boring), this would make a great educational tool for learning about evolution. It clearly illustrates the basics of evolution in a clearer way than any other life sim i have found. It has a much better graphical interface that would really hold the attention of younger students (i'm 16 myself). Not that it is in anyway dumbed down, actually I feel its much more complete than bugsx or avida.

Its an interesting program, and the job of making a functional linux version certainly seems worthwhile.

So, anyone interested?

I'm baffled why the best evolution sim out there isn't on linux yet. :confused:

here is a link: http://www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual/index.php?title=Main_Page

Mr. Joe
October 16th, 2007, 04:13 AM
and also, anyone know of a more appropriate forum to post this in? Coul'dnt think of one off the topof my head so i posted here...

reza81
October 16th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I have tryed Achilles, but it's a bit sucky! Intresting, but sucky :(

Love to try this if it becomes avalible for linux users

ryanVickers
October 16th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I like that "random page" thing :p