PDA

View Full Version : Very Dissapointed in Linux yet again.:(

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 06:51 PM
After hours of typing alien commands which I do not understand at all. I STILL can not get my Sagem modem working.

I keep coming back to Linux but always fall at the first hurdle. :|

If this was a Microsoft problem a simple click and install file would be available to patch the issue.......

As this is such an IMPORTANT piece of hardware as it is a VERY popular modem. where is the click and install file to fix the problem ???????? Surely a fix for this problem is A1 Priority!.

I am new to Linux so telling me to type a shed load of hieroglyphics into a 'terminal' is only adding petrol to the fire.
(thanks to those who tried to help me out anyway)

adwait
August 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Windows is windows.......Linux is linux........ No point comparing. If there are no drivers for you modem, its the fault of your modem manufacturer, not the linux community.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Sagem Linux Drivers exist, They dont 'go in'

Why can't the Linux community complile a tool to install these files for all the people out there new to linux with this very popular modem ??????

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Sagem modem -- If I remember thats a Conexant chipset.

Soooo.....

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-9926.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1906.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/23/2005/01/2/276827

Try not to get upset here....this isnt a place to toss down flames....this area is for support.

aysiu
August 17th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Read the article in my signature.
I have a description of you:

"You think the Windows way of doing things is the best way and is always the best way. You don't really want to migrate to Linux. You just want to make a feigned attempt at installing it and using it so that you can complain about how it's not 'ready for the desktop' when you encounter a single problem."

Linux isn't for you. Sorry.

But if you want to keep punishing yourself and whining to us, check out this thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/23/2004/12/3/202072

Someone claims that Mandriva has no problem with Sage.

Brunellus
August 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM
After hours of typing alien commands which I do not understand at all. I STILL can not get my Sagem modem working.

If this was a Microsoft problem a simple click and install file would be available to patch the issue.......

As this is such an IMPORTANT piece of hardware as it is a VERY popular modem. where is the click and install file to fix the problem ???????? Surely a fix for this problem is A1 Priority!.

I am new to Linux so telling me to type a shed load of hieroglyphics into a 'terminal' is only adding petrol to the fire.
1) Your hostility to any proposed solutions is only going to get you deeper in the hole. At the end of the day, you make the decision: are you going to bother to make it work, or aren't you? If not, then don't come here and tell people not to help you.

A lot of people work from the command-line because, well, it's a very quick way of telling someone what to do that will actually *fix* their problem.

2) Modems are notoriously difficult to support under Linux. After about 1994 or '95 or so, most modems are not real hardware modems at all, but "winmodems" which require software to do the actual modulation/demodulation. Unsurprisingly, that software, which is very low-level and device-specific, is closed-source, proprietary, and windows-only. Reverse-engineering efforts are underway, with mixed success. Device manufacturers aren't very good about releasing their specifications/software to the Linux community, though.

That's cold comfort for you, who cant' get your device working properly. But it's a known issue, and one that's under heavy development.

An unsolicited tip:

If you want help, ask for help. People will willingly take the time of day to listen to your problems and try to fix them, or suggest alternative solutions. If you walk in, drop a screed about how much you miss Windows, and then offer nothing of substance that even a kindly soul might be able to use to help you, well, you're going to get a lot of hostility back.

This might be about humanity to others, but there's also no crying in *nix.

Buffalo Soldier
August 17th, 2005, 07:24 PM
First of all... welcome to the world of GNU/Linux (in general) and Ubuntu (in particular).

I've just read your post and understand your frustration. It's hard to get to know another OS if you've been using MS Win stuff for a long time.

Using a different OS is not like changing application (example using MS Word then changing to WordPerfect). It takes much more time to adapt, learn and familiarise. I'm sorry if someone feed you the idea that transition of one OS (MS Win) to another OS (GNU/Linux or any other) is easy. It is not.

Why can't it be easier? Why can't GNU/Linux just follow the same way/method/style of MS Win?
Well I could be wrong. But I believe the answer is the objective of GNU/Linux developer is different then the developer of MS Win. And GNU/Linux users also have different expectations than MS Win users.

Maybe it's not the right time yet for you to be using Ubuntu or any other GNU/Linux. How about cooling off... let some of that pressure and anger subside. And come back with a different or a bit open perspective.

Should you decide to give Ubuntu another try, perhaps some of the readings I suggest in here HOWTO: For People New to Ubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=13042)will be helpfull.

newbie2
August 17th, 2005, 07:26 PM
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=326339

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Maybe it would help if you posed your posts in the form of an actual question rather than a Flame. It doesnt make us want to read the post any faster when you say stuff like....Im very Disappointed in Linux....like an overbearing father does unto his child that has done something bad........just a thought.

Buffalo Soldier
August 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Why can't the Linux community complile a tool to install these files for all the people out there new to linux with this very popular modem ??????Most of the time... they will be GNU/Linux developers that goes beyond the call of duty and do this.

But usually not to anyone with this kinda attitude:

I keep coming back to Linux but always fall at the first hurdle.

tonysathre
August 17th, 2005, 07:29 PM
it sounds like you dont have the time and patience to learn linux. the reason most ppl are scepticle about linux is because there scared to try to learn something new. if you like windows better and dont have the patience then just use windows, dont "try" to "use" linux, learn it, and you'll be much better off. it takes time, im only 19 years old and have been using linux for about 6 months and at first i got frustrated because i couldnt figure out how to compile apps, all the guides and readme's said ' open a terminal type ./configure, make, sudo make install, but eventually i got it and now can compile anything i need to. so i suggest you just keep trying and try to "learn" instead of "use" and you will be glad you did.

tonysathre
August 17th, 2005, 07:31 PM
check out this site

http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/

Buffalo Soldier
August 17th, 2005, 07:31 PM
I've read your post in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=55322

people are trying to be very helpful with you in there. it would a totally different thing if people were ignoring you.

GavinX
August 17th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I've read your post in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=55322

people are trying to be very helpful with you in there. it would a totally different thing if people were ignoring you. Damn right! I was about to come give him a good spanking for his rant. :grin: But seriously, all he needed to do was to ask for help without venting all of this anger for his own failure to research.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 07:42 PM
2) Modems are notoriously difficult to support under Linux. After about 1994 or '95 or so, most modems are not real hardware modems at all, but "winmodems" which require software to do the actual modulation/demodulation. Unsurprisingly, that software, which is very low-level and device-specific, is closed-source, proprietary, and windows-only. Reverse-engineering efforts are underway, with mixed success. Device manufacturers aren't very good about releasing their specifications/software to the Linux community, though.

That's cold comfort for you, who cant' get your device working properly. But it's a known issue, and one that's under heavy development.

Thank you........ This finally answers my question and goes a long way to explaining why the thread got so heated.... I had no idea M$ had a hold on modem hardware in such a widespread manner.

I had simply assumed that such an important part of the hardware was bieng partly ignored as not bieng important enough to patch...... In the light of the difficulties you all must be experiencing in supporting M$ controlled hardware I can see why you must get annoyed when someone hits the contectivity nerve.

Now I know that they may be little chance of getting this modem to work instead of banging my head against a wall typing garbage into a terminal I will probably go out and buy a know supported unit as I really want to change away from M$.

progress at last.

Brunellus
August 17th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Thank you........ This finally answers my question and goes a long way to explaining why the thread got so heated.... I had no idea M$ had a hold on modem hardware in such a widespread manner.

I had simply assumed that such an important part of the hardware was bieng partly ignored as not bieng important enough to patch...... In the light of the difficulties you all must be experiencing in supporting M$ controlled hardware I can see why you must get annoyed when someone hits the contectivity nerve.

Now I know that they may be little chance of getting this modem to work instead of banging my head against a wall typing garbage into a terminal I will probably go out and buy a know supported unit as I really want to change away from M$.

progress at last.
Helpful hint: external modems that connect to serial ports are more likely to work than internal ones. Google is your friend in this regard--so is the returns & used parts bin down at your local computer emporium.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 08:22 PM
My modem is a usb Sagem fast 800.....

will be looking at other modems now.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Hang on a moment....

I just realised,

Sagem released a linux driver for the modem which I have been attempting to install and link up with the modem itself over the past week.....

So, why have I gone into Linux sympathy mode :-|

So, if the linux driver exists I ask again..... As the modem is extreemly popular.... I mean SUPER popular... why can't one of the dev team create a quick patch for all us Linux newbies with this modem.,until the driver is supported in the next ubuntu release.

Or at least a compressed folder containing the necessary files (ALL OF THEM including these build tools I can't seem to install from the ubuntu disk) needed to start a fresh and reinstall the drivers for the unit ...... Can you imagine the frustration of someone new to linux who has to switch operating system each time to simply check the support thread 'how to' help you guys are kindly offering.
When you tell me to try something, im actually looking at XP at the time obviously......

So, the code exists, the unit 'should' work but as the code was not installled in the ubuntu build I have (most recent) ... As I have no linux experience and have to switch to XP to gain support why can't one of you make a support package at least that I can pop onto a disk and use instead of having to boot into XP each time I make a mistake......

Come on guys please shorten the learning curve for this one, Im sure it will help hundreds maybe thousands of people out who have this broadband modem.

Strongbad
August 17th, 2005, 09:08 PM
You can probably find a good modem on e-bay for a pretty good price. I think pretty much anything that is a true hardware modem will work on your system. The Linux community is very good with building drivers for pretty much anything. It's just that win modems are very difficult to support under Linux for the reasons given above. On top of it being very difficult to write those drivers, you also have to write a different driver for pretty much every card model. Also consider that the people doing all this programing are volunteers.They are under no obligation to do what they do, they are doing it because they love it! So try to be polite. There's something else that you need to understand about Linux, the whole idea of it is that the owner of the computer should have the ultimate control over his machine. It's your computer! You should be able to do what ever you want with it as long as it doesn't hurt someone else or there property. With that in mind, the graphical interface has it's limitations. So, in Linux you have the terminal, when you learn to use it correctly, you will find that in many cases, it is much easier to use that the graphical way. Don't get me wrong, I like my GUI, but I want my computer to be more than a bunch of cute icons and windows.

-Strongbad-

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
See above thread,

Modem is fine., its not an exclusive 'win' modem, its a usb unit with linux drivers (debian)

It should work but it is myself and no one else at fault. I am too stupid to use Linux.

I would like to learn to use linux with the support of the Linux community, who happen to be on the internet :roll:

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I doubt seriously that thousands own this modem.

Sagem for all intents and purposes isnt a very high class broadband modem or regular modem for that matter.

Strongbad
August 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Well, I hope that you will stick with it. once you have it all set up and have gotten used to it, you will really like Ubuntu! :) especialy "apt get" and synaptic. Good luck and don't give up!

-Strongbad-

Brunellus
August 17th, 2005, 09:31 PM
See above thread,

Modem is fine., its not an exclusive 'win' modem, its a usb unit with linux drivers (debian)

It should work but it is myself and no one else at fault. I am too stupid to use Linux.

I would like to learn to use linux with the support of the Linux community, who happen to be on the internet :roll:

Then tell us what you've done already to try and it up yourself.

If there is a debian driver, then go to the website, download the .deb file, open a terminal and execute <code>$sudo dpkg -i THE_NAME_OF_THE_PACKAGE</code>

definitions:

sudo= program that, when run, runs the command that follows it as root, or superuser, and logs that action for later reference.

dpkg=the command that actually packs and unpacks debian packages. the -i argument means "install"

It is *not recommended* to go around installing .debs using dpkg all the time, as you can end up in Dependency Hell, with broken packages and a limp system. apt, and its GUI frontend synaptic, resolve those dependencies for you--which is why they're GUI, and dpkg is not.

Sorry it's not Windows-y, but the hardware you're using is probably not as widespread as you believe it to be.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM
seriously, thousands 'will' own this modem.

Tiscali had a very big push this year with cut price high speed broadband connection (with the free sagem modem). High speed broadband or any broadband in the UK has been accepted faster than DVD in the UK over the past 12 months and Tiscali ane one of the big 3 UK ISP's......and its this Sagem unit they are providing everyone with.

Dont know if Tiscali provide this modem throughout europe or not but I do know that Tiscali are a big player in the ISP buizz.

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Thats a rather outlandishly unfounded claim to make its_jon.

Care to back that up with a little factual evidence?

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 09:39 PM
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/05mb30gb.html?code=ZZ-NL-11XY

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/images/4450_filter_advice_sheet.pdf

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Uh Jon....something other than an advertisement is going to be needed.

That doesnt prove a whole lot.

Im sure if you looked hard enough you could come up with some demographical data of tiscali's coverage over the UK area and how much of it they rule vs the population density of the area therein.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Well, Tiscali wont advertise their product on TV with a free Sagem modem unless they expect to sell a few thousand. :roll:

Most people in the UK have 3 choices

BT
Tiscali
Wanadoo

Thats it..... there are more but none as as mainstreem as the big 3.

Whole counties have been switching on broadband this year (thousands nay millions of people) with only these 3 big names advertising ISP broadband on the TV.

AOL is comparitively a small outfit in the UK.
BT, is the UK's largest telicom company but I understand it to be dwarfed by tiscali throughout europe. :-?

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Hmmmm...BT is pretty wide ranged, clearly it dwarfs Tiscali in the UK, ergo your statement that thousands in the UK will be tiscali users seems unlikely.

While I know that this is the case, Im not aware of Tiscali's coverage over Europe, it seems still unlikely that 10s of 1000s will be using Sagem hardware supplied by Tiscali.

BT's presence however, even extends itself here into the US, as they have a sizeable outfit in Atlanta.

Regardless.....this is all straying away from the real problem getting your modem to work.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Well, Tiscali are not a small outfit.

http://www.tiscali.com/about/

Getting my modem working::::::::::

I need a pack of some sort containing everything that I need including instructions (that are very dumbed down) to wipe any redundant driver code and install and configue the drivers......

The same pack would be of use to many people...... Im sure if it were placed on the ubuntu pages as a download you would be pleased to see many sagem modem owners download it!

It is impractical to keep swopping between OS to access tec support on this matter.

Kvark
August 17th, 2005, 10:21 PM
So, if the linux driver exists I ask again..... As the modem is extreemly popular.... I mean SUPER popular... why can't one of the dev team create a quick patch for all us Linux newbies with this modem.,until the driver is supported in the next ubuntu release.
Sounds exactly like the problem I had with an exotic piece of hardware. The linux drivers exist but are not packaged for ubuntu. I submited a bug report and now the drivers will be in the next release of ubuntu. :grin:

So go to www.ubuntulinux.org and find the bugzilla there. Read any advice you can find about how to write a bug report. If you whine in the bugzilla or put no useful info in the title like you did here then you will probably be ignored. What the bug report needs to make clear is... the bug is that your modem model doesn't work with ubuntu and what they need to do is include the drivers from [some url] in ubuntu. Telling the developers that you are upset won't fix anything.

BTW. The command line is a very good tool. Sometimes you can do things much faster there then in graphical interfaces. I suggest you get used to it because if you switch to linux then you will be using it and if you stay with windows then you will still be using it. Cause microsoft will finally catch up to *NIX and add a good command line to windows vista.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Seems I got it wrong, Tiscali are one of the top 4 ISP's in the UK so yes....thousands of people will have this modem.

http://www.tiscali.com/where/unitedkingdom/

A bit more demographic stuff here http://www.tiscali.com/where/

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Kvark, Monad is a relative Joke, and I understand under severe overhaul because of many vulners that were found with it.

Monad being the CommandLine Interface for Vista.

Brunellus
August 17th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Seems I got it wrong, Tiscali are one of the top 4 ISP's in the UK so yes....thousands of people will have this modem.

http://www.tiscali.com/where/unitedkingdom/

A bit more demographic stuff here http://www.tiscali.com/where/
Look, Tiscali's marketshare is irrelevant and immaterial.

1) If you compiled the device drivers from a source tarball, go back to the directory where you extracted the .tar. run $sudo make uninstall. run it a few times, to be sure it's cleaned up after itself.

OR

2) if you installed the drivers from a .deb: open up synaptic, hit 'search,' and type the name of the driver you want to remove. when it comes up, mark it to be removed completely. accept the changes.

That should get rid of the driver.

Of course, that advice might be totally off the mark, because you haven't told us what youv'e done yet. You have to help us help you.....

KingBahamut
August 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Thank you Brunellus.......

Though that last bit sounded very Tom Cruisian in nature....
Help me , help you......help me, help you.....=)

sophtpaw
August 17th, 2005, 10:37 PM

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

:grin:

Brunellus
August 17th, 2005, 10:39 PM

if it meas I get Katie Holmes, I'm all for it.

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I have downloaded the latest Linux eagle drivers for the modem, installed via the synaptics tool, asked lots of help, got lots of help, reboted between XP and Ubuntu many many times to report that the typed commands were not working...... etc etc.

To be honest I cant remember what was typed in any more.... When I was typing it in I had no idea what any of it was for anyway as......'im new to linux'

Telling me to try one thing alone means that I have to reboot into ubunto to type it then repoot into XP to let someone know what the result was...............Im sick of it, hence this thread.

truth, you cant handle the truth

Brunellus
August 17th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I have downloaded the latest Linux eagle drivers for the modem, installed via the synaptics tool, asked lots of help, got lots of help, reboted between XP and Ubuntu many many times to report that the typed commands were not working...... etc etc.

To be honest I cant remember what was typed in any more.... When I was typing it in I had no idea what any of it was for anyway as......'im new to linux'

Telling me to try one thing alone means that I have to reboot into ubunto to type it then repoot into XP to let someone know what the result was...............Im sick of it, hence this thread.

truth, you cant handle the truth
OK. now we're getting somewhere.

1) where did you download the drivers from?

2) how did you install them--using synaptic, or typing things into the terminal?

3) what errors were returned/are returned?

Additional questions, which aren't directly linked to this problem but might have some bearing on alternative solutions:

A) How does your computer connect to the internet?

B) Is this a regular dial-up modem, or a DSL one?

C) Does Tiscali use PPPoE networking (if you didn't understand this question, don't fret)

D) Is your computer connected directly to the modem, or do you connect something else between the modem and the computer--a router, for instance?

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 11:42 PM
see, this thread, its the tip of the iceberg of what I have tried.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=55322&page=1&pp=10

I need a rescue pack?.....zip file containing everything I need including basic instructions step by step.
drivers
build files whatever they are
uninstall text
install text
configure and activate text
so I can take it over to my linux environment without having to swop OS all the time for advice....

its_jon
August 17th, 2005, 11:51 PM

Wrong...... If Tiscali are dishing out thousands of Sagem usb modems that dont work with Ubuntu at the same time as Ubuntu disks appear on peoples doorsteps then the issue is highly relevant.

I assume thousands of Ubuntu disks are also appearing on UK doorsteps ?

Maybe not, maybe its irrelevant.

Hey!..... I am simply ONE of the Sagem modem users witch REALLY want Ubuntu to work, I would guess that many simply first checked the Ubuntu website for a Sagem modem patch then decided to go back to XP when they could not find one.
Maybe they serched the forums for info about how to make a Sagem USB modem work with Linux drivers,,,,, in which case they would have found this thread.

Brunellus
August 18th, 2005, 12:08 AM

You are dangerously close to alienating whatever help you're trying to get.

We are trying to get things to work for *you*, since *you* are the one who asked. It would be a lot easier, not to mention infinitely more pleasurable, to help you if you dropped this exasperatingly hostile attitude.

I'm not being paid enough to deal with it tonight, or ever.

aysiu
August 18th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I'm not being paid enough to deal with it tonight, or ever. You get paid?

Brunellus
August 18th, 2005, 12:14 AM
You get paid?
no. hence my irritation.

its_jon
August 18th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Sorry If I seem abbrasive., help is appreciated.

I was assuming I may have been highlighting an important bug but I seem to get the impression this is brushed aside as a minor issue by some reply's......

Im not worried for myself, I could cure the problem by purchasing another modem tomorrow... Im concerned that Ubuntu has a major bug that will isolate potentially thousands of people from accessing online support or indeed basic connectivity, which is for many users the main use of a OS

Nequeo
August 18th, 2005, 12:55 AM

I was assuming I may have been highlighting an important bug but I seem to get the impression this is brushed aside as a minor issue by some reply's......

Im not worried for myself, I could cure the problem by purchasing another modem tomorrow... Im concerned that Ubuntu has a major bug that will isolate potentially thousands of people from accessing online support or indeed basic connectivity, which is for many users the main use of a OS
I certainly see what you're getting at... But you must remember, Linux is a free operating system. No money is lost if a person chooses not to use it. And, maybe more importantly, no money is gained if someone does choose to use it. So to the vast majority of Linux users, you are thinking backwards.

The issue is not whether Ubuntu will lose thousands of users if it does not work with Sagem modems. But rather, will Sagem lose any users because people choose to buy new modems that *do* work with Ubuntu?

RastaMahata
August 18th, 2005, 12:59 AM

yeah. the right way to post a bug in some certain software is to go to the forums and flame the software, the developers, and say that if you were using another software, it would work.

If you have a bug, post your specs, what kind of bug it is, etc etc, in bugzilla. You can find a link at the very top of this forum. If you're lazy, Here it is, ubuntu bugzilla (https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/)

If you have a suggestion, suggest it nicely please.

Now, if you dont like the system, use another one, dont demand something you would like the system to have. Firts, it's not linux/ubuntu's fault, and second, you are not paying for it. If we help people here, is because we like to help.

Nequeo
August 18th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Just read the previous thread...

The last thing you said was that you couldn't run ./configure. Did you ever get that running?

Before we lose all hope here, at least lets try to get the latest driver compiled.

its_jon
August 18th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Yeh, compiled

...someone send me a link to a bundle with everything in is so I have the best chance of doing it in one when I boot into Linux.

When Im in Linux I can't talk to you lot....so when im actually 'in' linux you lot can't help...

Im not going to boot into linux to try out one thing only to boot back to xp to boot back into linux and so on.

such is the nature of a modem problem when you are new to an OS ...... I remember the nightmare I had with win 95 and the internet ! :roll: I don't want to revisit those days.

5-HT
August 18th, 2005, 02:40 AM
From what I understand, the Sagem 'fast 800' seems to be an adsl modem and not an external dialup.
I've tried looking around to see if the modem also supports an ethernet connection, but from what I can find...it doesn't seem to
(which for me at least if a little surprising...though I'm more used to cable modems and to a lesser degree DSL. I try to avoid USB as much as possible especially for cable/dsl modem exactly for these driver compatibility reasons).

If the modem does have an ethernet port however, I'd suggest using that as it would completely bypass the need of trying to install Sagem's drivers.

The only driver you'd need would be for your NIC card (which hopefully Ubuntu has already automatically detected and configured).

If the modem only has a USB option, unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to help to get it to work, but would suggest replacing it for one with an ethernet port (if that's a viable option and you cannot get the USB working, as you shouldn't have problems that way).

moopere
August 18th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Maybe because its not 'super popular' at all? I've been in the game for a long time, I support and sell IT equipment and have never ever seen nor heard of this modem - so its certainly not popular here.

Come on guys please shorten the learning curve for this one, Im sure it will help hundreds maybe thousands of people out who have this broadband modem.

Why don't you just buy a decent modem and stop bothering the (various) devs with demands to support crap hardware?

You can get an ethernet based (not USB) modem here in Aust. for around AU$100 which is what....about US$60. If thats too much for you, why not whinge to your modem manufacturer about giving support to the kernel devs (money, human resources) and perhaps their crap hardware will work out of the box on most/all future Linux kernel builds?

Seriously now, your modem was made "for Windows" why are you so upset that it dosn't work on any other operating system? How can it be the developers involved with any other operating systems fault that your 'for windows' hardware doesn't work?

Talk to your hardware manufacturer - better yet, return the crap hardware, get a refund, make sure that the retailer knows _why_ you're returning it (ie, its crap) and buy yourself a decent supported modem by a decent company willing to support their hardware across operating systems.

Good luck
Craig

aysiu
August 18th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Talk to your hardware manufacturer - better yet, return the crap hardware, get a refund, make sure that the retailer knows _why_ you're returning it (ie, its crap) and buy yourself a decent supported modem by a decent company willing to support their hardware across operating systems. It's the same thing with Firefox. I've read a lot about people switching banks for not supporting Firefox and telling the bank why. Until people realize they're losing business because of not supporting open source efforts, they will continue not to support them. You could do this for any hardware, really. If an MP3 player doesn't support Ogg, you buy one that does (iRiver, for example), and write Apple or whomever and tell them you really like the iPod, but you just have to have your Ogg support.

cwaldbieser
August 18th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Well, a couple of observations here:

+ I downloaded the driver .tgz from Sagem's support site. It looks like they provide the source code for the driver and they license it under the GPL, so if someone wanted to develop an Ubuntu package for it, I don't see any impedements on those fronts.

+ It doesn't say exactly when the sources were released, but the dates on the files seem to place it around January 19th of this year.

+ The major technical hurdle I see to actually getting a package made for this, is that you need to find a developer who actually has this piece of hardware so they can actually test their package and see if it works.

+ I actually tried building it as far as the "make" step, and everything seemed to work for me (I didn't proceed further since I don't actually have that modem and consequently don't care to have the drivers installed).

Brunellus
August 18th, 2005, 06:05 AM
I've gone away, had dinner, played the piano, and had a long and amusing chat with my brother.

All of which has gone a long way towards making me forget the general aggravation that has been this conversation.

Checking your other thread, I find that someone has already posted this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=295004&postcount=29

One thing that nobody seems to have mentioned: did you run ./configure as root?

that is, did you execute

$sudo ./configure

?

if not, you might not have the necessary permissions to build & install the module...thus the failure. The same thing happened to me the first time I tried to compile ndiswrapper--and I was in a similar situation as you (I needed to compile the driver to get my internet connection up and running).

I will echo a lot of the advice in both threads: Tiscali might be giving this thing away, but since it connects via USB, it is rubbish. If you want a worry-free transition, use a modem with an ethernet (RJ-45) connection. To make things even easier, you can buy a cheap four-port router/switch to go along with it, which allows you to share your internet connection four ways.

theinvictus
August 18th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Hey buddy, don't be so quick to give up on Ubuntu. I agree, it was VERY frustrating being a newb (I was there about 2 weeks ago), and not being able to use the internet out of box. The linux community, while very nice, and perfectly willing to help, unfortunately seems to forget the technical expertise level entailed with being a "newb". Many people will tell you to do things and ask you if you;ve done things, without recognizing that you may not have any clue what those things are. Nonetheless, these people are well intentioned and are trying to help you, so try to be civil to them, and just explain that you don't know what they are talking about. Also, it doesn't hurt to try and research and pertinant topics using the search feature on this and other forums, as well as google. The more you read about a topic, the more you can gather a feel for the nature of the problem. I had a hell of a trime trying to get my wireless internet working with the damn atmel drivers, I went through many attempts at getting it to work, which failed horribly, but all along the way I slowly learned more and more about the terminal, and snyaptic.
One step that would have alieviated my frustration significantly at the begining is if I had mounted my windows partition, once I did that I got working a lot fast, because I would save the forum replies on to my hard drive, and open them up in linux while trying to fix the problem. That way, if need be I could copy and paste code directly into the terminal, and not have to worry about forgetting commands.
Another thing that would have helped is if someone had provided a tutorial on some basic concepts such as: CVS, apt, how to un-tar, and compile from source.
I stuck with Ubuntu through my problems, and eventually was able to install my driver, and was quite happy using Ubuntu...that is until I attempted to install Wine, and Warcraft III, which eventually led to my GUI not loading. I've decided to re-install and start fresh.
Switching operating systems is not an easy process, you must be willing to recognize that they are different, and accept those differences. It will require a large reserve of patience to make the transition sucessful, and you must be willing to put in some gruntwork. The community is willing to help you, so long as you remain civil, and the more detailed information you can give, the better people will be able to help you. Ubuntu is free software and as such clearly there are some things that aren't quite there yet, modem and wireless support are two of them, however there are plenty of positives (synaptic and apt-get come to mind....ironically I hated/was very frustrated by them in the begining). I also wish that there was a centralized source of detailed tutorials regarding topics for newbies on how to make the OS useable after a fresh install that would cover important commands, the concepts behind apt, synaptic, and cvs. "Something given has no value" the more you struggle with this and learn along the way, the more rewarding the experience will be, and you will come out of it with a better understanding of the operating system. If someone just hands you a miracle patch, it is not going to solve anything because you will still not know how to use the most important features of the operating sytem, and every time you have a problem you will be forced to ask for a handout from someonelse. This isn't to say you have to do this all by yourself, but the more you learn and accomplish by yourself the better off you will be for future experiences with Ubuntu.

- theinvictus

Alanmw
August 18th, 2005, 06:51 AM
I can sympathise with Its_Jon in his frustration. It is very didicult to get help from the forums if you can't connect to the Internet. I have tried the HH5.04 LiveCD and can't connect. My wireless card is on the "List" as supported (D-Link AB520) and the "Network Setup" GUI goes through the setup perfectly and ends up with 'ath0' configured.
From then on there is nothing. 'route -n' only shows the headings but no data.
I an in 'XP' now so if I get asked something I must close 'XP' and start HH5.04 to find what to do. This can be very slow and I know his feelings.
The remark about just buying another modem is also uncalled for. I am a pensioner on a limited budget and that is why I thought HH5.04 was ideal. I can't just go out and buy a special 'smothing'. My computer is a hand me down from my son and is a source of much enjoyment to me and I have been interested in Linux for a long time but not had much luck with getting it going. There is always some thing in my system that will not work!! This is the most helpfull forum I have seen so far so I will have a look at the "Bugzilla" and try that.

Thanks Alan

nocturn
August 18th, 2005, 07:19 AM

The thing is that Microsoft has a stronghold of hardware devices and will use it to force any competition out of the market.
If the Linux developers would just get access to the specifications of the hardware (not actual drivers), the situation would be much better. But now, to support some piece of hardware, they need to reverse engineer how the hardware works to create drivers, all without support from the manufacturer (with some notable exceptions).

progress at last.

I'm glad you are sticking with Linux. Welcome to the community.

nocturn
August 18th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Well, Tiscali wont advertise their product on TV with a free Sagem modem unless they expect to sell a few thousand. :roll:

Most people in the UK have 3 choices

BT
Tiscali
Wanadoo

Thats it..... there are more but none as as mainstreem as the big 3.

Whole counties have been switching on broadband this year (thousands nay millions of people) with only these 3 big names advertising ISP broadband on the TV.

AOL is comparitively a small outfit in the UK.
BT, is the UK's largest telicom company but I understand it to be dwarfed by tiscali throughout europe. :-?

Let's not go into this discussion. We can help you get your modem running if possible. If you still want to, this would be an excellent opportunity for you to learn Linux.

moopere
August 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM
The remark about just buying another modem is also uncalled for. I am a pensioner on a limited budget and that is why I thought HH5.04 was ideal. I can't just go out and buy a special 'smothing'.

That was me. You may consider the remark unhelpful or uncalled for but seriously, exactly -who- should be looking after compatability between Linux and badly supported hardware?

Its ok to complain that your hardware doesn't work, but whats the way through that? Who will do the work?

A lot of folks might be tempted to say something like 'the linux people' or 'ubuntu' but to that type of answer I'd say..why? Why should the whole problem of Windows only hardware not be placed at the feet of the cheapo manufacturers?

Its an age old argument, but worth reminding ourselves of from time to time. If the manufacturer of a piece of hardware won't or can't support it, why would anyone else?

There are numerous examples of otherwise unsupported hardware actually being supported under linux, but these examples are almost always due to someone with an interest and the skills doing the work themselves and sharing the results of their labour with the community.

Resist the temptation to support manufacturers who don't support their own products by buying their crap. This way, the guys who do the right thing and support Windows/Linux/whatever will survive to continue providing a useful service (and make a few bucks hopefully) and those shonky outfits that don't will dissapear. Market based darwinism (hehe).

My computer is a hand me down from my son and is a source of much enjoyment to me and I have been interested in Linux for a long time but not had much luck with getting it going. There is always some thing in my system that will not work!! This is the most helpfull forum I have seen so far so I will have a look at the "Bugzilla" and try that.
Thanks Alan

Ok. This is no problem. Plenty of folks running old systems, plenty of folks with no spare money (I'm one of these). If someone donates a old spare system to me as sometimes happens I don't whinge at anyone when I find a piece of crap hardware inside. If you're only means of connecting to the internet is via Windows then so be it, run Windows.

If you can work out how to make your Windows only modem work under linux great! Share the knowledge, but don't expect anyone, for even a moment, to spend their own time working on drivers and other compatibility issues for free on your behalf...they might do it, but treat them nicely, don't -expect- anything.

The tone of this thread started by assuming that 'the linux people' or more rightly 'the ubuntu people' -should- take seriously the _demand_ for support of a piece of hardware. My response has been.."why"? Why doesn't the manufacturer of these Sagem modems (or whatever they are) work with ubuntu (using their own resources) to make their modems compatible? This is how it works in Windows world, why should it be different here in linux world? (smile)

As a matter of interest, those of you running Windows XP, did anyone ring up/email or otherwise abuse Microsoft when ISA based soundcards, network cards and most SCSI cards stopped working because MS decided not to support ISA hardware any longer?

Solid, well supported (by the OEM) hardware has almost always worked under Linux, I can't think of a single piece of common kit where this is not true.

Crap hardware has and will always exist too, some of it barely works under Windows - lets accept this and move on or else spend our own spare time making our particular piece of crap hardware work on our systems and then share this programming work with the community.

Cheerio,
Craig

its_jon
August 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
The point is that the Linux drivers for this item of hardware DO exist.

The process of making them work in Ubuntu is very Alien to me.
As the Linux drivers (debian) exist and as the hardware is a modem (reported to be difficult to support under linux) then I would have thought this would have been a 'gift' to anyone with an ounce of Linux programming or simply ussage ability, which unfortunatly is not me YET.

I am sticking with Linux, I am thouroughly enjoying the card games and connect 4...... Very excited about running Photoshop under Linux,,,, over the past year I have been using GNU app's on XP ready for the change such as OOo and Firefox,,, Abiword until I found OOo.....

So, If someone would be kind enough to bundle the up to date eagle linux drivers for this unit with all the other code and stuff I have to install to be able to build? the drivers into ubuntu with some text instructions to help me out I can then take that to Ubuntu and spend some time with the best possible chance of making some progress in one sitting....... The same package I am sure would also be very helpful for other new users with this 'crap' hardware.

Brunellus
August 18th, 2005, 02:18 PM
So, If someone would be kind enough to bundle the up to date eagle linux drivers for this unit with all the other code and stuff I have to install to be able to build? the drivers into ubuntu with some text instructions to help me out I can then take that to Ubuntu and spend some time with the best possible chance of making some progress in one sitting....... The same package I am sure would also be very helpful for other new users with this 'crap' hardware.

I suggest you take your request to the Ubuntu Bugzilla (https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/) as a feature request. The devs are there, and they will listen.

Leave out the "OMFG, Tiscali bundled this and thousands of people will be cut off from Linux!" rhetoric--which reminds me of that old "Channel Ferries stopped by fog; Continent cut off" line.

Instead, phrase the request simply. State your hardware (Manufacturer, Model/Part #, chipset (if you know/can find out). State that drivers are available at $URL_drivers. Request that these drivers be packaged in .deb form, for Ubuntu x86.

The devs & package maintainers love concrete information, and hate spleen.

coolclassic
August 18th, 2005, 03:33 PM
This topic is covered very well on these forums. The problem your are having is very common even with some experienced users. I use the same modem as you and it works perfectly. This thread has all the answers you need to get your modem working.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45974

sneax
August 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I understand your frustration. I had the same problems and have started with linux at least 10 times and always deleted it again after a few days of total trial and error.

I like Ubuntu though coz it doesn a good job on my laptop (all other distro's failed in this, monitor resoltion was one problem and wireless the other), good how to's with understandable hyeroglyphs ;)

The problem with linux is that everybody is doing what they want. It's a good OS for developers but as a desktop OS I don't think it suits everybody. There are A LOT of programs to play music and movie files for example but there is NONE which is as advanced and easy to use as windows media player. There are 2 contradicting points why the linux community can't create anything better:
1) They all have their own ideas of what is a good program so they will never work together for one big excellent good working program.
2) To create a very good excellent program, there are A LOT of people needed doing exactly what the project leader says, though linux people want to make their own program with their own ideas and don't want to listen to their project leader.

Linux (on desktop!) will break through once there is a microsoft alike company, wanting to make an os based on linux, closed source, with a huge development team and with the purpose of making profit.

aysiu
August 18th, 2005, 05:14 PM
There are A LOT of programs to play music and movie files for example but there is NONE which is as advanced and easy to use as windows media player. This sort of statement is totally unsubstantiated. Can you give us concrete examples of things you can do in Windows Media Player that you can't do in any media player Linux has to offer?

I also don't see how you can think being closed source helps Linux get any better. Linux got as good as it did today by being open source. I think both models have pros and cons. On the one hand, if everyone works on one project, people aren't duplicating efforts. On the other hand, if everyone works on her own individual project, we can get choice and variety, and each project can drive the other projects to innovate (via a little friendly competition). The problem is really wasted energy (reinventing the wheel) versus stifled innovation (too many cooks in one kitchen).

Also, do you really believe most desktop users install their own OS? It doesn't matter how easy Linux gets. As long as Windows comes preinstalled, people are going to use it.

Brunellus
August 18th, 2005, 05:16 PM
This sort of statement is totally unsubstantiated. Can you give us concrete examples of things you can do in Windows Media Player that you can't do in any media player Linux has to offer?
...play wmv and wma files, without resorting to sneaky tricks like the ubuntuguide?

I'll have to give him this point, if his media environment is entirely microsoft-centric. My music's in Oggs, so...

Kvark
August 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I am sticking with Linux, I am thouroughly enjoying the card games and connect 4...... Very excited about running Photoshop under Linux,,,, over the past year I have been using GNU app's on XP ready for the change such as OOo and Firefox,,, Abiword until I found OOo.....
Before you run photoshop under linux (with wine I guess). Learn your way around the various linux alternatives. One of them will most likely be able to meet your image editing needs.

Linux (on desktop!) will break through once there is a microsoft alike company, wanting to make an os based on linux, closed source, with a huge development team and with the purpose of making profit.
Rofl, I guess you could say that linux would break through on the desktop market if windows (or another propriarity closed source system) started using the linux kernel. But that wouldn't really be a Free Open Source Software GNU/Linux system anymore.

its_jon
August 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I hate the way Microsoft conduct and present their products.

I have a good knowledge of the history of linux along side microsoft but no actual experience in using Linux.

Linux has always been too clunky for me although I understand why it is powerful in comparison to microsoft produce. The birth of Unbuntu I hope is the point at which I jump onto the Linux train.

Microsofts media player is pants..... It does everything you dont want it to do before it finaly executes the file you want.
Keep away from microsoft compression formats and use OGG/Vorbis. Its quality at high compression is simply Better than MP3 or windows own format.... Its darn near to AAC as well. And if you every use MPpro your not doing anyone any favours at all.

Anyone remember tiwnVQF ?

:: Photoshop alternatives...... I have tried gimp in the past under mandrake and windows...... trouble is that Photoshop is one of my main app's so for me to switch to gimp it MUST reacha point where it offers significantly more power than photoshop, which one day I am sure it will (look at firefox etc.)

Anyway....... can someone piece together all the modem files I need, including the build stuff I never seemed to be able to install.....pop it in a file so I can take it all into a linux environment so I have no excuses to get it wrong. ta. ....then maybe I could post from ubuntu instead of XP.

PeP
August 18th, 2005, 05:44 PM
hi everybody,

I won' t go in windows vs linux vs blackboard and chalk comparison,

just a few tips:
1. the chipset is supported by the eagle-usb driver.
2. its_jon tried the driver provided by ubuntu -> didn't work (this version is not really up to date)
3. its_jon tried the new version of this driver -> didn't compile (it 's not so easy thing to explain ...)

The driver provided by sagem is as far as I now the one above (a few years ago it was their own crappy driver, now they contribute to the gpled one)

its_jon: if you still want to install this, why not go on on this thread or start a new one (without mentionning windows, it will make the same troll as above)

also, you didn't answer this:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=299412&postcount=34

good luck anyway,

earobinson
August 18th, 2005, 05:45 PM
On a happy note, I have have had/have many many many problems with linux, but as im sure many of the people know here I have been able to resolve %99.9 of them (and %100 of the important ones eg nsdiwrappering my wireless network card) with the help of people on this site and others.

Thanks guys for all your time end effort.

As a side note I find it is much more easy to get support on the inner workings of linux due to its open source nature and that is the reason I switched.

its_jon
August 18th, 2005, 05:58 PM
hi everybody,

I won' t go in windows vs linux vs blackboard and chalk comparison,

just a few tips:
1. the chipset is supported by the eagle-usb driver.
2. its_jon tried the driver provided by ubuntu -> didn't work (this version is not really up to date)
3. its_jon tried the new version of this driver -> didn't compile (it 's not so easy thing to explain ...)

The driver provided by sagem is as far as I now the one above (a few years ago it was their own crappy driver, now they contribute to the gpled one)

its_jon: if you still want to install this, why not go on on this thread or start a new one (without mentionning windows, it will make the same troll as above)

also, you didn't answer this:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=299412&postcount=34

good luck anyway,

And thanks for all your help PeP during that thread.

My main problem was the constant switching between OS to try out each suggestion...... by the time I switched OS a few times I really had no idea what I had done and why,..... This is why I sugest someone piece together a file containing everything I need including instruction so I can boot into Ubuntu and start with the best chance of solving the problem in one go.

sneax
August 18th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Rofl, I guess you could say that linux would break through on the desktop market if windows (or another propriarity closed source system) started using the linux kernel. But that wouldn't really be a Free Open Source Software GNU/Linux system anymore.

Yes. There are a lot of programs a lot of variety with good ideas but none of them does the COMPLETE job. It's dificult to explain. I just think that if you want an os to break through, it has to be SO SIMPLE that you need loads of effort to develop this kinda thing that it will only be able in a huge commercial project (linux is too hard for 90% of the people, they want things to work without EVER having to type commands in a terminal) Anyway sorry for off topic I kinda ruined this page of the topic with spamming my opinion :???:

My main point that didnt come clear in my previous post was: I realy like Ubuntu - it's the best distro I ever tryed and I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it if they keep their promise of the regular updates \\:D/ :grin:

Brunellus
August 18th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Yes. There are a lot of programs a lot of variety with good ideas but none of them does the COMPLETE job. It's dificult to explain. I just think that if you want an os to break through, it has to be SO SIMPLE that you need loads of effort to develop this kinda thing that it will only be able in a huge commercial project (linux is too hard for 90% of the people, they want things to work without EVER having to type commands in a terminal) Anyway sorry for off topic I kinda ruined this page of the topic with spamming my opinion :???:

My main point that didnt come clear in my previous post was: I realy like Ubuntu - it's the best distro I ever tryed and I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it if they keep their promise of the regular updates \\:D/ :grin:
MS-DOS wasn't too hard for its users, back in the day. And LOTS of people used DOS.

What determines "breakthrough" is "installed base." And yes, a large commercial corporation will play a part in that, by making linux desktop solutions cost-effective and desireable to large corporations, schools, universities, and other organizations....in exactly the same way that IBM made the PC (with MS-DOS!) attractive to those same entities.

Computers with the 8088 processor existed before the IBM PC, as hobbyists' toys. But it was when big business put them on every corporate desktop that things really took off, both in hardware and in software--operating system development, application development, and user-interface development.

Stormy Eyes
August 18th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Wrong...... If Tiscali are dishing out thousands of Sagem usb modems that dont work with Ubuntu at the same time as Ubuntu disks appear on peoples doorsteps then the issue is highly relevant.

Ubuntu disks don't just "appear" on people's doorsteps. That's AOL's schtick (in the USA), and it's a waste of money and materials. If you have an Ubuntu CD, it's probably because you asked for it.

Let's get something straight here: if you don't like the way Sagem's drivers work, why are you complaining here? It's not our problem, and whinging isn't going to get you any sympathy here. Like another poster said, find the Ubuntu Bugzilla, file a clear, polite report, and hope that somebody can package the driver properly. Either that, or save your flames for Sagem; it's their driver, and therefore, their problem.

Making assumptions is a bad habit.

allans
August 19th, 2005, 12:10 AM

I think perhaps you are using linux for the wrong reasons - linux isn't here to eventually replace window's dominance with another closed source based corporately owned product.

Allan

theinvictus
August 19th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Linux will continue to grow in popularity as more businesses switch over. The reason people use Windows, and originally DOS is because thats what they learned to use at work. If you use linux at work, you'll be far more likely to use it at home....

jerome bettis
August 19th, 2005, 06:05 AM
This topic is covered very well on these forums. The problem your are having is very common even with some experienced users. I use the same modem as you and it works perfectly. This thread has all the answers you need to get your modem working.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=45974
hey thread starter i think you missed that post.

PeP
August 19th, 2005, 06:09 AM

My main problem was the constant switching between OS to try out each suggestion...... by the time I switched OS a few times I really had no idea what I had done and why,..... This is why I sugest someone piece together a file containing everything I need including instruction so I can boot into Ubuntu and start with the best chance of solving the problem in one go.

I had to configure the same modem three years ago, (older drivers /kernel /everything) and at the time I was quite new to linux ...

I was lucky enough to hev to computers, so I didn't have to reboot, but I undersand you well, it is a painfull experience. But, it is very difficult to anticipate any misfunction or problem you might go through to give you a full resolution scheme. If you think it's worth it, print the few threads on he subject, the howto from the eagle-usb website and download anything you might need.

Good luck then .

A better solution is to bring a linux "guru" at home so he can help you directly.

Anyway, if you post a the output of the non-working command, you will always find someone here to help you.

nrayever
August 19th, 2005, 07:39 AM

jon: i really think that u should try to check on other thread, maybe trying to get some "linux for dummies", if u don't get some really common command, or stuff from linux. trying to learn on the way, is the hardest way to learn anything.

i had used linux formally since last months of 2004. but, i had been in touch with linux maybe since 1996 or 1997. but right now i'm trying to get deep into it.

with ubuntu forums i found a community with some great people with a big will to help anyone. and right now i'm trying too to help anyone with a problem, according to my knowlegde. because nobody here is trying to f$%& with someone's problems. as this community work is:

1) ask for help
2) give as many clues as you can
3) if someone has the answer, is going to give u a howto, so u should try by yourself
4) if that doen't work, go again to step 1) until you got it
5) thank anyone involved with your answer to your problem

you're asking for help as a usual winbugs user:

1) a file "with the solution"
2) copy/move/install
3) if it doesn't work, try another file!

that kind of solving method generaly works only in M$. maybe is hard with no internet. but be patient, i know how hard is to try to get help form internet witout internet access. i hope u could have your problem solved. cheer up!!

poofyhairguy
August 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM
The remark about just buying another modem is also uncalled for. I am a pensioner on a limited budget and that is why I thought HH5.04 was ideal. I can't just go out and buy a special 'smothing'. My computer is a hand me down from my son and is a source of much enjoyment to me and I have been interested in Linux for a long time but not had much luck with getting it going. There is always some thing in my system that will not work!!

I often suggest that people buy Linux compatible hardware when the hardware they have doesn't work. I call it "the real price of Linux." Its better than not helping them at all, and its cheaper than buying a new Mac (if their intention is to not use Windows).

poofyhairguy
August 19th, 2005, 08:56 AM
...play wmv and wma files, without resorting to sneaky tricks like the ubuntuguide?

How is the Ubuntu Guide a sneaky trick?

its_jon
August 19th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I have accepted that I will have to 'type stuff in' and a auto installing patch will not be made available.

All I need is everything I need in a package so I can take it over to Ubuntu so I can make my modem work.

::::::::::::::::::::
EDIT,

Just noticed a PM which covers the subject

sonny
August 19th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I have accepted that I will have to 'type stuff in' and a auto installing patch will not be made available.
Now that you have accept it, and I hope you also ahve accepted the fact that if you REALLY want your internet working in Ubuntu you'll have to reboot as long as as it's not working and as many times as needed... now let's make your hw working. First, some few questions you haven't answer (or I haven't understand you):

1) Where did you download the "drivers" (put the acctual adress, and the name of the file). This way, all the people in this forum can check out the driver's and try to see if it works.

2)If it's a tar file then perhaps you'll need some compilers in your machine. Go to synaptic (it's under system>>tools>>synaptics ; or just type ctrl+F2 and type in synaptics), search for build-essential when it ask you to install it say yes and take note of ALL the files it tries to install, then go to: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/ and look for ALL the files you wrote down. It WON'T be easy, in fact it will be tedious. Once you have all of them, burn them into a cd, or copy them in a usb memory, flash memory or wahtever. Boot into Ubuntu, copy them to your home, after that open up a terminal, and write: "sudo dpkg -i file.deb"

After you have done that you will be able to compile the source (if it's a source package), you just have to uncompress it, move to the folder via terminal and write:
./configure
After you have done that, copy the results from the terminal to a text file, copy the file into a cd, or usb memory, then boot into windows, come to the forum and post those results. After you've done that, many people would be able to guide you and help you.

If you are not willing to do this, don't post anymore, and stick with windows, because obviously Linux is not for you.

Brunellus
August 19th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Now that you have accept it, and I hope you also ahve accepted the fact that if you REALLY want your internet working in Ubuntu you'll have to reboot as long as as it's not working and as many times as needed... now let's make your hw working. First, some few questions you haven't answer (or I haven't understand you):

1) Where did you download the "drivers" (put the acctual adress, and the name of the file). This way, all the people in this forum can check out the driver's and try to see if it works.

2)If it's a tar file then perhaps you'll need some compilers in your machine. Go to synaptic (it's under system>>tools>>synaptics ; or just type ctrl+F2 and type in synaptics), search for build-essential when it ask you to install it say yes and take note of ALL the files it tries to install, then go to: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/ and look for ALL the files you wrote down. It WON'T be easy, in fact it will be tedious. Once you have all of them, burn them into a cd, or copy them in a usb memory, flash memory or wahtever. Boot into Ubuntu, copy them to your home, after that open up a terminal, and write: "sudo dpkg -i file.deb"

After you have done that you will be able to compile the source (if it's a source package), you just have to uncompress it, move to the folder via terminal and write:
./configure
After you have done that, copy the results from the terminal to a text file, copy the file into a cd, or usb memory, then boot into windows, come to the forum and post those results. After you've done that, many people would be able to guide you and help you.

If you are not willing to do this, don't post anymore, and stick with windows, because obviously Linux is not for you.
you missed the part about his not wanting to do any of that stuff, and preferring instead to hector the forums about the lack of automagic configuration....

its_jon
August 19th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Someone has kindly created a .deb file for me as they have the same kernal as me. And have also included a detailed text file for me to take over to ubuntu....... as it appeared that I was struggling to make the deb file

I tried this but unfortunatly it did not work for me. The kind person is also trying to find another solution and in the mean time pointed me towards this page http://forum.eagle-usb.org/viewtopic.php?t=3460&highlight=urb+c which sort of points out that its not just me with the problem.

I don't mind doing some research or learning some commands but as I am new to Linux this problem is very much a deep end situation for me.

grim42
August 19th, 2005, 09:03 PM
its_jon,

I understand that your main problem is that you have no Internet connection from Ubuntu, yet you need support via the Internet. Thus you have to reboot to Windows etc. etc. (sorry I'm stating the obvious).

It's probaby not what you want to hear, but I would recommend solving your problem by buying an ADSL Ethernet modem/router. These are usually very simple to set up, and once it's working for Windows, it's working period. If it's configured with a DHCP server, you won't have to change any settings in Ubuntu at all.

I don't know what they cost in the UK, but they're not too expensive here in South Africa which is usually notorious for overpriced hardware.

This way you'll have your Internet connection working properly from Ubuntu and you'll be able to get on with setting up other stuff.

EDIT/PS: The reason for my suggestion is that you don't have very much/any experience with Linux and IMHO tricky hardware driver problems are not a good place for Linux newbies to start.

its_jon
August 19th, 2005, 09:24 PM
The best solution for me is to be able to use the Sagem USB modem I already have. It would also help others if I can find a solution with the help of the community.

A known 'good' modem would solve the problem, but there again the modem I have does have debian linux drivers!

Check out my recent failed progress here HERE (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/design_jon/MR2/INSTALL.txt)

allans
August 19th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I don't know what they cost in the UK

About £50

its_jon
August 20th, 2005, 12:43 AM
_[cough]

its_jon
August 20th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Partial Success !

Forum user PeP has created a driver pack of some sort which workes with my modem and the copy of Ubuntu I am using !.... I now have 2 lights on my Sagem 800 USB modem which I presume means that Its working !

So Thanks PeP for making the files and the instructions.... I believe this is the 4th set of Linux drivers for this modem I/we have tried out.

I know need to know how to enter my providers details as I dont know where or how to enter my ISP stuff. ???

cheers!.... one step closer! ...... Once this is all done and working, it may be worth placing this useful pack for download as a Sagem 800 Modem rescue pack for others like myself...

Brunellus
August 20th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Partial Success !

Forum user PeP has created a driver pack of some sort which workes with my modem and the copy of Ubuntu I am using !.... I now have 2 lights on my Sagem 800 USB modem which I presume means that Its working !

So Thanks PeP for making the files and the instructions.... I believe this is the 4th set of Linux drivers for this modem I/we have tried out.

I know need to know how to enter my providers details as I dont know where or how to enter my ISP stuff. ???

cheers!.... one step closer! ...... Once this is all done and working, it may be worth placing this useful pack for download as a Sagem 800 Modem rescue pack for others like myself...
System>Administration>Networking.

its_jon
August 20th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Ok, so I changed my hosts name in the networking thing and I could not gain access to anything, whats going on :neutral:

Kvark
August 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
What would help others is if you reported the bug that the modem model, 'sagem 800 usb modem' i guess, does not work out of the box with ubuntu. And the solution, where you found the working drivers and what you did to make them work.

Ok, so I changed my hosts name in the networking thing and I could not gain access to anything, whats going on :neutral:
Shouldn't host name and such be given to you by a DHCP server?

Guess it depends on what circus your ISP requires to give you access, my old ISP for example required that I go to a website and log in each time I connect.

its_jon
August 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM
What would help others is if you reported the bug that the modem model, 'sagem 800 usb modem' i guess, does not work out of the box with ubuntu. And the solution, where you found the working drivers and what you did to make them work.

Guess it depends on what circus your ISP requires to give you access, my old ISP for example required that I go to a website and log in each time I connect.

No, I mean nothing at all will open in ubuntu from any of the menu's

Brunellus
August 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM

yeah, but what if is ISP uses PPPoE?

PeP
August 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM

your ISP details should be entered by answering questions from eagleconfig
(UK01 for tiscali, yenter also your login and your password)

then you connect with

sudo startadsl

You do not need to enter any host name.

For the login/password:
Didn't you receive a user login and a password from your ISP, ???
quote from the tiscali uk website:
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadband/98dun.html

Enter your Broadband username and password which you registered when you signed up for the Broadband account (this is the same as your Broadband email address and password). If you have forgotten your account details click here. Then click Next.

its_jon
August 20th, 2005, 10:11 PM
does this make any difference?.... I have 2 ethernet connections?...I assume 'o' was the first failed item and '1' is the one that is working ?

I was able to use the terminal to access eagleconfig and re-entered my connection details, set it to autostart on boot, and also tried sudo startadsl ...... still not working.... once it reported that it was unable to start connection.

I know I must be down to something obvious by now.....the modem appears to be working as I have 2 lights on it.

PeP
August 21st, 2005, 12:50 AM
does this make any difference?.... I have 2 ethernet connections?...I assume 'o' was the first failed item and '1' is the one that is working ?

I was able to use the terminal to access eagleconfig and re-entered my connection details, set it to autostart on boot, and also tried sudo startadsl ...... still not working.... once it reported that it was unable to start connection.

I know I must be down to something obvious by now.....the modem appears to be working as I have 2 lights on it.
:roll:
ok let's go on...

can you post the result of:
sudo startadsl (wait until it give you back the hand)
sudo eaglediag -msc

(you can also try eagleconnect instead of sudo startadsl)

oxalá
October 11th, 2005, 02:48 AM

Why can't the Linux community complile a tool to install these files for all the people out there new to linux with this very popular modem ??????

to expand on the previous response to your plaint, Linux is pretty much DIY. The thing with open source is that

1. the answer is out there
2. if it isn't, you're free to create it yourself

That sucks in the beginning, but becoming conversant enough in Linux (conquering the command line, for example) is rewarding. I know how frustrating it is -- i'm in the middle of it right now. I know just enough now to know that i understand very little.

The point is that Linux is not necessarily the answer for people who are running from Windows. It is the answer for people who want more control of their computing environments.

It looks like you've received a lot of help in this thread. Here's to running with that.

jeffreyvergara.NET
October 11th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Well, I hope that you will stick with it. once you have it all set up and have gotten used to it, you will really like Ubuntu! :) especialy "apt get" and synaptic. Good luck and don't give up!

I also can't make my modem to work before so I switch back to Window$ to search how to install my usb modem in ubuntu linux then back to Ubuntu. I did this a few times until I got my modem working.. w00t! I shout for joy back then, now it's no turning back to Window$. Also, try to contact your ISP(my ISP provided me the modem) they might help you, mine did.:D

BinaryDigit
October 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM
This might be about humanity to others, but there's also no crying in *nix.

Hehe, can I quote that in my sig? :)

gamesmad
November 2nd, 2005, 08:05 AM
It is irelevant how many people have the modem, be it 500 people or 500,000 people, but when we decide to use Ubuntu, we want to be able to access the internet! A download with the .deb, and a text file with the instructions is what we need. Although Im not an expert, Im going to try to make one myself, because I know Im not the only one....

Will

WuMeSsIaH
November 2nd, 2005, 08:52 AM

Of course, that advice might be totally off the mark, because you haven't told us what youv'e done yet. You have to help us help you.....

Thank you for getting them back on track! Regardless of how popular the ISP is, and how many usb modems they sell world-wide the problem still remains how to get it to work and how to make future new users not lash out at Linux. I am suprised that a generic driver was not able to be used - regardless of microsoft firmware/software authenticity issues. The world is full of clever developers, I think these are the types of issues they should try and tackle (i'm not saying their not trying, but clearly if this modem is as popular as its_jon claims as well as the ad shows then it should be put on some sort of priority list). Now, not being a developer myself I wish to walk away from the comment I just made because someone is bound to reply back to me and tell me to write the code myself, but I pray I dont get blasted for these comments. This topic is already as heated up as it needs to be without getting myself burnt in the process.

Finally, a word of advice its_jon (one that you have already heard I am sure). Much like you I am a complete newbie at Linux, but I have found this and many other linux based forums very useful if I remain polite, in control, and respectful in the eyes of others. Clearly I can understand the choice of subject because you got my attention with it, but the last thing you want to do is make enemies on a forum that is here to support your cause.

moopere
November 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM
It is irelevant how many people have the modem, be it 500 people or 500,000 people, but when we decide to use Ubuntu, we want to be able to access the internet!

Fair enough. I assume then that you have contacted the modem manufacturer and passed along your unhappiness with their lack of support for Ubuntu?

What did they say?

> A download with the .deb, and a text file with the instructions is what we
>need. Although Im not an expert, Im going to try to make one myself,
>because I know Im not the only one....
Will

Now you've got the idea.

The other thing you could do would be to buy one of the tens of thousands of available modems that are supported out of the box on Ubuntu and lend support in so doing to those manufacturers who do produce good cross platform equipment (that 'just works').

You say theres a .deb from this manufacturer for your modem? Great, it should install without trouble then given the instructions they provide. If it doesn't, I'd be logging a bug report with them.

Best regards,
Craig

Malphas
November 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Windows is windows.......Linux is linux........ No point comparing.
Don't be ridiculous, they're both operating system and of course they can be compared. Also, I never see anyone saying this when comparing Linux's strengths against Windows' weaknesses.

gamesmad
November 2nd, 2005, 06:38 PM
Ive got a .deb file, I try to install it, but it goes down the files, and each one has "Permission Denied" written next to it, how do I give it the permissions it needs, would it be fixed if I ran as root?? Im an IT technician, I should be able to do this, and when I find out how to do it, Im gonna help others. But for the time being, for a change, Im the one who needs help, so help me!!

Will

Ampersand
November 2nd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Ive got a .deb file, I try to install it, but it goes down the files, and each one has "Permission Denied" written next to it, how do I give it the permissions it needs, would it be fixed if I ran as root?? Im an IT technician, I should be able to do this, and when I find out how to do it, Im gonna help others. But for the time being, for a change, Im the one who needs help, so help me!!

Will

You need to install .debs as root, so instead of running

dpkg -i package.deb
run

sudo dpkg -i package.deb

teaker1s
November 2nd, 2005, 08:03 PM
changed

poofyhairguy
November 3rd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Don't be ridiculous, they're both operating system and of course they can be compared. Also, I never see anyone saying this when comparing Linux's strengths against Windows' weaknesses.

People should.

gamesmad
November 3rd, 2005, 06:29 PM

dpkg -i package.deb
run

sudo dpkg -i package.deb

OK, Im off to do that now, thanks... That is thanks if it works ;)

Will

gabbman
November 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM

(thanks to those who tried to help me out anyway)Your frustration is taken out on the wrong thing, its not the o/s it the modem.

I know your frustration, it's common among modem users. I was one.

I made a deceision 4 years ago to trash my modem for a nix card. DSL was somewhat more linux freindly once you know how to set it up and fairly available almost anywhere in North America, but if your serious, just go for cable and I gurantee you will have more computing fun then you ever thought possible, on Windows or Linux.

A modem on a computer for serious use today, is like a 440-Hemi with only 3 spark plugs in the block in a winner takes all drag race.

Loose the modem, grab a nix card call your ISP, and start having some real fun. JMHO.

Malphas
November 3rd, 2005, 06:54 PM
People should.
I disagree. They're both operating systems, they both perform the task and they both compete for the same role. The fact that people are switching from Windows to Ubuntu is evidence of this. Dual-booting aside, Linux is there as an alternative product, not as a complementary or addition one, therefore it's only sensible that the two (Windows variants and GNU/Linux distributions) should be compared in relation to one another.

poofyhairguy
November 3rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
I disagree. They're both operating systems, they both perform the task and they both compete for the same role.

Well...they are both OSes. And they both complete tasks, sometimes similiar ones. But they do not compete for the same role. Most of Linux development in the server/embedded field and Windows is the king of desktops. You do see Windows in embedded spaces (Win CE) and Linux on a few desktops, but neither area is the others strength so comparing them is ackward.

The fact that people are switching from Windows to Ubuntu is evidence of this. Dual-booting aside, Linux is there as an alternative product, not as a complementary or addition one, therefore it's only sensible that the two (Windows variants and GNU/Linux distributions) should be compared in relation to one another.

Ok. I can accept that logic. I guess the real question is not can they be compared (as you prove they can) but WHY compare them? What does it help? Usually when someone compares things its to get an insight into a certain object or its a metaphor to help explain something.

Comparing the two does nothing but highlight problems with both. What good does that do? It does not make either develop faster, and it does not solve the problems the comparison discovers on either platform. Its not like MS cares what Linux is doing on the desktop (well...not enough to change) and its not like the developers comb this forum looking for answers, so whats the point?

The only good reason I see to compare them is if you are trying to explain to someone that doesn't know what an OS or what Ubuntu is and what it can do. As a way to educate non nerd users. For us nerds here on the forum, comparisons are invitations to flame wars.

gamesmad
November 4th, 2005, 08:20 AM

dpkg -i package.deb
run

sudo dpkg -i package.deb

I installed it as root, and then ran like this :

sudo eagleconfig (Then I filled in the details)

sudo startadsl (Modem is apparently not operational, check eaglestat for result)

sudo eaglestat (Loads of stuff, then it says, modem is waiting for response from driver check eaglectrl -d)

sudo eaglectrl -d

Then it says something like

No options at line 27
No options at line 28
No options at line 29
No options at line 30
No options at line 31

It doesnt tell me what to do next, and the same thing happend, even when I repeat the whole process. Please help me with this problem, I love Ubuntu, but I need the internet :(

Will

Leviticus
November 5th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Windows and linux are not created equally, futhermore perhaps a class or to on unix or maybe a book or two will help. To expect to understand a different operating system automatically is, well.... not right.

Frustration because of failure at the first hurdle -- if you do not know the commands then one cannot operate within linux effectively.

As for yer modem, it is probably a software driven modem, and yes sometimes linux cannot run them. There are a multitude of sites that write drivers for such problems, I would suggest searching google for "linux modem drivers" or better yet, try finding your drivers at linmodems.org (http://linmodems.org/). very nice site that specializes in hard to find, software driven modem drivers......

Just a thought or two....

fredbird67
March 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Exactly. When something doesn't work properly in Linux, you should adopt an attitude of "where there's a will, there's a way", and Linux IS getting better and better all the time when it comes to hardware. And besides, if you can find a store that deals in used computers and used computer parts, chances are you can find an external serial modem there (I, thankfully, am on DSL myself).

However, pardon my French here, but it REALLY pisses me off when people try Linux, run into the first problem, and instantly go back to Windows. It ROYALLY burns me up when Windows gets a free pass all the time in spite of how much of a piece of you-know-what it is.

Due to how much I despise Microsoft's business practices, while I personally am committed to staying the course with Linux on my desktop no matter what, it makes me wonder if Linux on the desktop, be it Ubuntu or any other distro, will ever really gain any serious traction. As a Linux advocate, I really find others' unwillingness to work through any Linux problems very frustrating indeed -- ESPECIALLY when you consider how Microsoft is trying to completely kill off Windows XP and take that choice away from people.

Speaking of, I have a sister-in-law who works for the Daily American Republic newspaper in Poplar Bluff, MO, and while she won't consider Linux, I was chatting with her online the other night, and she told me about this old guy who came in to the newspaper offices, and somewhere in the course of conversation, he started ranting and raving about how much he DESPISED Windows Vista, which I got quite a laugh out of. I asked her if she mentioned that I'd be happy to help him out with Linux, and she said that thought didn't enter her mind at the time -- I woulda GLADLY driven the 3 hours from here in St. Louis to help get him set up with Ubuntu! It's still very funny, though...

Daveski
March 10th, 2008, 12:43 AM
... he started ranting and raving about how much he DESPISED Windows Vista, which I got quite a laugh out of. ...

Well I have found many existing Windows users ARE getting annoyed with Vista and the new Office interface. There does seem to be a growing trend of some people starting to wonder if there are workable alternatives. When (if) MS do manage to push the world into using these newest versions of their flag-ship desktop products, there might be an opportunity for Linux and Mac to make further inroads to the Desktop market.

Linux HAS been getting more and more mainstream in the last few years, and I think that many home users would be quite happy using a configured Linux machine so long as they didn't desire some Windows only software (usually games).

aysiu
March 10th, 2008, 12:44 AM
This thread is almost two and a half years old. Yikes! Well, if you want to keep going on about it, I'm moving it to Recurring Discussions.

mdsmedia
March 10th, 2008, 01:20 AM
This thread is almost two and a half years old. Yikes! Well, if you want to keep going on about it, I'm moving it to Recurring Discussions.Funny that the original....ummm....most recent post from the old thread..... was just one month after I started using Linux seriously....more than 2 years ago.

tigerplug
April 18th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Perhaps you should consider writing some drivers?

If all else fails perhaps try XP.... (I would say 98 but to the best of my knowledge, proper plug and play support was introduced in XP)

;)

quinnten83
April 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Holy necromancing, batman!!!!