PDA

View Full Version : best new hardware bought

celticbhoy
October 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
what is the best new bit of kit you have bought for your PC in the last six months for under £50 (arround $80 or so)

Whiffle
October 16th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Its not exactly new...but... my 1984 IBM Model M Keyboard.

Keith_Burton
October 16th, 2007, 03:07 AM
You can get brand new keyboards, using the old IBM clicky switches, from http://www.pckeyboard.com/

I'm still using an old one myself. But a couple of friends have bought these and now love them as much as I love my old clunker. It's fun watching a friend go from "making fun of your ancient, noisy keyboard" to "amazed when their typing speed & accuracy have improved 20% in a couple of weeks of using one". I have a loaner I push on everyone who'll give it a real trial.

Most people under 30 have never touched a good keyboard, and so have no idea what they're missing. :)

P.S. to anyone who's going to order one, they have multiple types of keyswitches available on some models. The one you want is "buckling spring"

Whiffle
October 16th, 2007, 03:14 AM
lol yeah. This keyboard rocks! Its way better than my old logitech. And, its so heavy I could use it to defend myself...not kidding. Shipping weight was a full 8 pounds.

I used one back when I was like 6 with our old IBM clunker. I forgot all about it till I read that they were still around and good keyboards. Then I bought one.

Sef
October 16th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Scruffynerf
October 16th, 2007, 05:08 AM
While not under that price cap, I recently bought 2Gb of Corsair Value-Select RAM.

Came to $169 AUD (we get boned on hardware pricing)

Prior to that was a 256MB Nvidia GeForce 6600GT for a bit over $110 AUD

celticbhoy
October 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
The reason I asked is that I have just bought a new Trust graphics tablet for under £20, and have to say I aint had so much fun using the PC for years. Was easy to set-up and with cellwriter I get the mouse and keyboard in one.

So I thought what other bargains that work easily under Linux are out there.

x0as
October 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Seagate external drive, much easier than burning everything onto dvd.

regomodo
October 16th, 2007, 02:02 PM
zalman cpu cooler

Dixon Bainbridge
October 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM
2gb pendrive for £15.

celticbhoy
October 16th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Was thinking of a tv card but don't know if I would use it