PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Mail Client?

StewartM
October 15th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Greetings,

I'm using (for now) Evolution. It's OK, but it's a bit Outlook-y like for my tastes. I might keep it for the calendar functions. You can get mail to separate accounts into separate folders by filtering, though I think that they should be delivered there by default (i.e., see below).

I've tried Thunderbird on Windows, and wasn't that impressed either. Biggest dislike? Its use of a blue bar to mark quoted text, instead of the old (but good) convention of using '>'s. (Though color-coding the '>'s and the corresponding text with via level to (like XNews does) is a great add-on if available). You can get around this, reportedly, in Thunderbird but it's kind of a hassle.

I prefer '>'s because I feel that marking quoted text with bars or tabs or the like (like Yahoo mail and a lot web mai servicesl do) encourages bad habits in replies, especially top-replying (the mail equivalent of top-posting on Usenet). Such abandonment of what was a previous internet convention reminds me of what Microsoft does with their software all the time. I think it's a much better habit to reply by inserting one's comments interspersed within the original , which is what the '>' convention encouraged.

The best email client I've used I've gotten to run on Ubuntu (though it runs buggy) via Wine: that's Pegasus Mail for Windows 3.12. I like it because it allows you to:

a) paste something as quoted with >s;
b) allow you to control word wrap at whatever character length you prefer;
c) allows for the insertion of custom mail headers;
d) has filtering rules;
e) different email accounts have their own separate Pegasus mail accounts (i.e., at startup you log in as the user for that account). That way you keep the mail separate.

And may other options.

Like I said, it works, but buggily, via WINE.

Is there a GNU/Linux that does something close?

Stewart

helliewm
October 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Havebdumped this as I like Pegasus too. Any similiar clients out there for Linux?

Helen

n3tfury
October 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7023&highlight=email+client

StewartM
October 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7023&highlight=email+client

Thanks, n3tfury, but I did check that thread before I posted this. There were a lot of opinions of why people like Thunderbird and Evolution, and Claws, but not too many people seemed to be interested in the features which I've described above that make Pegasus Mail rock. :guitar:

That's why I'm asking about it in this thread. It seems that Pegasus mail does have a fan base out there in Linux world, and the developer is thinking about porting it to Linux, reading the Pegasus Mail home page.

On a slightly related note, as someone who in their Windows years quickly found out that Micro$oft apps usually were third-rate, and that third-party (often open sourced) apps (for Windows) were frequently far superior, I am somewhat distressed to come to Ubuntu-land and see people wanting Linux look-alikes for Microsoft apps (like Evolution strikes me as being). Don't get me wrong, I prefer Evolution to Outlook, but my Windows experience tells me that you can do far better (as Pegasus does). My two cents.

Stewart

mindtrick
October 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Have you tried Kmail? (KDE's mail client)

n3tfury
October 16th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks, n3tfury, but I did check that thread before I posted this. There were a lot of opinions of why people like Thunderbird and Evolution, and Claws, but not too many people seemed to be interested in the features which I've described above that make Pegasus Mail rock. :guitar:

That's why I'm asking about it in this thread. It seems that Pegasus mail does have a fan base out there in Linux world, and the developer is thinking about porting it to Linux, reading the Pegasus Mail home page.

On a slightly related note, as someone who in their Windows years quickly found out that Micro$oft apps usually were third-rate, and that third-party (often open sourced) apps (for Windows) were frequently far superior, I am somewhat distressed to come to Ubuntu-land and see people wanting Linux look-alikes for Microsoft apps (like Evolution strikes me as being). Don't get me wrong, I prefer Evolution to Outlook, but my Windows experience tells me that you can do far better (as Pegasus does). My two cents.

Stewart

np, wasn't sure if you saw it or not. wish i could help, but i don't use any email clients.

StewartM
October 16th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Have you tried Kmail? (KDE's mail client)

No, does it do the things I described above? (I'm using the default GNOME desktop, would KMail work with that?) :?

Checking around at Claws Mail, it might be a fit.

Stewart

StewartM
October 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
No, does it do the things I described above? (I'm using the default GNOME desktop, would KMail work with that?) :?

Checking around at Claws Mail, it might be a fit.

Stewart

Claws Mail does indeed seem to be a good choice, so I'll use it unless someone has something better. So far it's a notch below Pegasus (unless there are features hidden that I've not discovered yet) but it's the best so far.

Stewart