PDA

View Full Version : Virus on my Windows Platform

Black Mage
October 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I use Ubuntu most of the time but occasionaly for work I'm forced to go back to Windows. Recently my windows platform has caught a virus...well I think its a trojan.

But anyway, I was wondering could I take the virus off using Ubuntu and Linux Anti-virus software? Either through a network, taking out the hard drive and putting it to an external reader? Or how do I get the virus off the windows hard disk in general?

Discov3ry
October 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Sure, just mount it with read-write privilages and fire up ClamAV or BitDefender on it.

Or you could boot into Windows and run an anti-virus utility to clean it up.

Black Mage
October 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
What is some other good virus software? One or two I know generally doesn't catch everything?

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM
and those one or two are.....?

Black Mage
October 15th, 2007, 10:50 PM
For one, NORTON!!! That anti-virus software is way over rated.

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
norton home editions blow big time, but the corp edition is very good, but you pay out the nose. i've used AVG for my windows boxes for over 3 years now and once in a blue moon i scan online using trendmicro, and have had nothing but great results.

Officer Dibble
October 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
NOD32 gets quite high ratings, but AVG and Avast are very good alternatives and are free.

If you want free and are running 64bit box then Avast is your friend. ;)

funrider
October 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM
back to my windoze age......

i used avg antivirus free version, zone alarm firewall free version, spybot antispyware (free)

they worked fine and i didnt pay a penny

with ubuntu, i shall forget them now

Black Mage
October 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Its funny because I've used Mac my whole life and now Linux and rarely windows, and this is my first ever virus problem and it happens to be windows. So I guess the drawback is, I'm really a newb at this virus stuff.

osxcapades
October 16th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Give the Avast! antivirus software a try.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

I run it on Windows and haven't gotten a virus (or spyware, for that matter) in many years. Just remember to run Firefox (of course), stay updated, and you'll be fine.

LookTJ
October 16th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Give clamwin a shot. It's open source too.

Linuturk
October 16th, 2007, 01:38 AM
+1 www.avast.com

http://housecall.trendmicro.com as well.

reza81
October 16th, 2007, 03:34 AM
What windows version do you use & is your data encrypted?

zugu
October 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM
For Windows, I recommend NOD32, it got me out of some nasty situations and it's probably the fastest antivirus program I used. If you don't want to spend money on it, you can use the 30 days trial version, it's full-featured.

Black Mage
October 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Thnx for all ur help everyone. Unfortunately it has a worm so I guess that means reformatting everything. FUN :).