PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Python: best was of saving settings?

holihue
October 15th, 2007, 07:59 PM
How is the best way of saving settings for a Python program?

I think about something like a file that contains settings for a program: (example)

fullscreen = 1
resx, resy = 1400, 1050and maybe run something like exec(file).

Is it a better way, maybe .xml?

Wybiral
October 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I would use XML, Python has several good XML modules for you to use to generate and parse.

pmasiar
October 15th, 2007, 08:04 PM
with python, you can just import the config.py module and be done. I do it for quick-and-dirty solutions. For real production, ConfigParser (using old and tried .INI format) is included in std library, why not use it?

with XML, you have TWO problems: editing the config, and parsing it. AND it is hard to read, with all <>.

holihue
October 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I would use XML, Python has several good XML modules for you to use to generate and parse.

Can you give an example?

pmasiar
October 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
ElementTree is excellent XML parser, but plain old INI files are more readable. If you need more that 2 levels of settings (which INI provides), you may want to think more about your overall design. ;-)

Wybiral
October 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM
pmasiar's probably right, if you're just saving a few settings, XML is overkill. If your settings are hierarchical, then XML would be good, otherwise there are probably better ways.

Unlike pmasiar, for XML I prefer the xml.dom.minidom module, probably because I use Javascript a lot and it's easier for me because they use the same functions. Here's an example of minidom (http://docs.python.org/lib/dom-example.html).

Quikee
October 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I like yaml (http://www.yaml.org/) for this things. It's nicer than XML imho for configuration files.

Or simply pickle if I don't need "external" editing.

If XML I would use Python 2.5 built-in ElementTree or lxml's ElementTree which is a little better.

Quikee
October 15th, 2007, 11:22 PM
For yaml you need PyYaml which is in the repositories.

Your example in yaml (document.yaml):

fullscreen: 1
res: [1400, 1050]
sampleDict: {'a':1, 'b':2}

An example of yaml reading:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import yaml

stream = file('document.yaml', 'r')
valuesDict = yaml.load(stream)
stream.close()

print valuesDict['fullscreen']
resx, resy = valuesDict['res']