PDA

View Full Version : Which verson of Firefox?

DaveTheAve
October 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I was wondering which version of firefox the community recommends?

I'm currently using Swiftweasel, but I always used swiftfox before when not using standard firefox.

Which one of the two, or offer another option (not suicide), and if you don't mind, the benefits.

bruce89
October 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
None of them, they're all rubbish.

DaveTheAve
October 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
So what do you prefer?

bruce89
October 15th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Epiphany

rsambuca
October 15th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Frankly, there really isn't that much difference between them. Are you having issues with your browser? There are also many alternatives to the mozilla based ones... Opera, Kahazekase, Dillo, Epiphany, Konqueror, etc.

Henry Rayker
October 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
bruce89 appears to prefer epiphany...which I found to be annoyingly basic. I like Firefox because it is incredibly extensible and I was unable to find a similar feature-set in any other browser.

For the record, I just use the regular Firefox with some extensions.

bruce89
October 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
bruce89 appears to prefer epiphany...which I found to be annoyingly basic.

That's why it's part of GNOME.

I like Firefox because it is incredibly extensible and I was unable to find a similar feature-set in any other browser.

For extensible, read slow.

What extensions do you use anyway?

DaveTheAve
October 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I'm not having an issue with firefox just wondering which optimized version i should use.

smartboyathome
October 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not having an issue with firefox just wondering which optimized version i should use.

If Firefox works for you, keep using it. The only difference between firefox and swiftweasel is that swiftweasel may be a little faster.

bruce89
October 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Optimisation is a waste of time usually, especially with something that likes memory as much as Firefox does.

smartboyathome
October 15th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Optimisation is a waste of time usually, especially with something that likes memory as much as Firefox does.

Firefox3 won't waste as much memory as you think, and it should be out soon. :)

bruce89
October 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Firefox3 won't waste as much memory as you think, and it should be out soon. :)

I just don't like Mozilla's forgetting about Linux (for instance web forms will only be proper GTK+ ones in 3.0+)

mthei
October 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I recall reading somewhere that Swiftweasel has better protection against buffer-overflow attacks, granted, that was on Wikipedia. In terms of speed, I didn't notice any difference.

vishzilla
October 15th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Firefox. Don't have any problems wit it, very customizable

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Firefox. i tried swiftfox because it was supposedly built to be optimized for amd processors, but not only did i find it no faster than firefox, the font rendering is UNBEARABLE. it was quickly uninstalled. rubbish on my system.

funrider
October 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
ff2 is a joke

-grubby
October 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Firefox 2 seems much slower than earlier versions of Firefox. I have big hopes for Firefox 3

undine
October 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Another Epiphany luddite here. There appears to be light at the end of the tunnel in the form of FF3, but at the moment, Firefox is nigh-on unusable for me. Download-helper and Flash-block are damn nice extensions though, so it's a bit of a shame (plus the tab management in Epiphany sucks, I have to say).

ThrobbingBrain66
October 15th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I just don't like Mozilla's forgetting about Linux (for instance web forms will only be proper GTK+ ones in 3.0+)

I just installed Epiphany and it doesn't have GTK+ widgets either...am I missing something? The address bar doesn't have a drop-down menu either...