PDA

View Full Version : improperly diagnosed problem

WildTangent
August 17th, 2005, 03:05 PM
a while ago (a month or more) i posted a thread explaining how i managed to ruin my computer. Well, turns out i was wrong. when i got my new computer parts, the old ones i decided to keep using, as my server, so i put them in my old ubuntu box's case. well, thats wierd...nothing works now... I began to freak out, thinking i ruined another good computer, but before i gave up hope, i took the parts out, and layed them out on a table and connected the power supply to the motherboard, and put a video card in, and turned it on. surprise surprise, it works again. it seems the case i had been using is improperly grounded, and must be shorting something out, because nothing works in it. i got one of my older cases out, and put the server parts in it, and now its back online. so i thought about the old ubuntu box. what if it still works? so i did the same thing, set it up on a table, and what would you know, it worked! too bad im out of cases :\ anyway, just felt like sharing that with you all. i suppose theres a lesson....but i cant really think of a good one, so heres a crappy one:
if your computer suddenly stops working, and youve exhausted all the reasons you think it could be...try changing the case ;)

-Wild

macgyver2
August 17th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Heh...at the beginning of the summer we had the same problem...with our air conditioning unit! It just wouldn't turn on, even though the thermostat was clicking. We had no idea why it wasn't working. We fiddled with some stuff then called the company. Finally, the repairman noticed the tiniest of sparks where a wire's insulation had worn away and was rubbing on the casing. Luckily the repair call was covered under an extended warranty.

az
August 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Do you mean the power supply, or the entire case?

Perhaps you can just swap out the power supply and fix the problem.

WildTangent
August 17th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Do you mean the power supply, or the entire case?

Perhaps you can just swap out the power supply and fix the problem.
tried switching the PSU, no luck. if i hit the case, the PSU, and CPU fan would turn on, but not the hard drive,and it wouldnt POST

-Wild

az
August 17th, 2005, 08:50 PM
tried switching the PSU, no luck. if i hit the case, the PSU, and CPU fan would turn on, but not the hard drive,and it wouldnt POST

-Wild
Then don't hit the case...

:)

WildTangent
August 18th, 2005, 02:46 AM
well it works now :P in another case. i tried putting the old linux box back in the faulty case. wouldnt start. take it out, and it does :P im pretty sure its the case ;)

-Wild