PDA

View Full Version : justlooking icons are simply awesome!

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I was just checking out the justlooking icons and they are simply wonderful!

http://www.kub.fr/design/justlooking.html

popch
October 15th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Yes, they are very impressive.

I find it very encouraging to see that some people take so much care and thought in designing a user interface.

The only thing I do not like that much is the icon to save to disk. While I agree that diskette symbol is becoming rather useless, I can not really believe that users are aware of the 'platters' in their disk drives, even though the word 'disk' would imply as much. But then, how many guns are in your battery?

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Yes, they are very impressive.

I find it very encouraging to see that some people take so much care and thought in designing a user interface.

The only thing I do not like that much is the icon to save to disk. While I agree that diskette symbol is becoming rather useless, I can not really believe that users are aware of the 'platters' in their disk drives, even though the word 'disk' would imply as much. But then, how many guns are in your battery?I actually liked that icon the best. ;)

popch
October 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I actually liked that icon the best. ;)

It looks very nice, but

it is the only one using a spectral color
the spectral color makes it too prominent (outstanding) in relation to the function it invokes
some users may not comprehend its meaning any better than the one it is supposed to replace

Unfortunately, I have no solution to that 'problem'.

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 08:23 AM
It looks very nice, but
it is the only one using a spectral color
the spectral color makes it too prominent (outstanding) in relation to the function it invokes
some users may not comprehend its meaning any better than the one it is supposed to replace
Unfortunately, I have no solution to that 'problem'.
ahh very good points, they should leave the color out of it.

argie
October 15th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I've gotten too used to that floppy. So everytime I see that icon I don't see a floppy. I see a Save... box. Weird association. The CD means, "Write to CD..." to me. Maybe it'll work better for people who are newer to computers.

popch
October 15th, 2007, 09:08 AM
The CD means, "Write to CD..." to me.

What you call the 'CD' should have been the platter of a fixed disk, if I read the artist's explaniation rightly.

This is not really relevant here, because the 'save' command would not as such imply any particular medium. It does show, however, that the meaning of the pictogram is not all that evident.

Would a drawing of a brain represent 'saving' or 'storing' in a more recognizable way, or would it appeal to butchers, surgeons and cooks only? How else could you represent an action which is really quite abstract? A box with a gift wrapper? A shelf or cupboard?

argie
October 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM
What you call the 'CD' should have been the platter of a fixed disk, if I read the artist's explaniation rightly.

This is not really relevant here, because the 'save' command would not as such imply any particular medium. It does show, however, that the meaning of the pictogram is not all that evident.

Would a drawing of a brain represent 'saving' or 'storing' in a more recognizable way, or would it appeal to butchers, surgeons and cooks only? How else could you represent an action which is really quite abstract? A box with a gift wrapper? A shelf or cupboard?

I'll tell you what would have worked with me. You know that typical Mac Hard Drive icon? That would've worked. But I don't know how he'd make that into his black and white outline style thing.