PDA

View Full Version : Wired or Wireless?

Mr.Ganja
October 15th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Just wondering, which do you prefer to have a wire in your network card or do you prefer wireless in a laptop. My personal opinion a wire is a sure thing especially in Linux.

ironfistchamp
October 15th, 2007, 06:35 AM
I agree with you on that one Ganja. I have no end of troubles with Wireless regardless of my OS. Even when I get the damn thing working I suffer from slow connections.

Guild Wars (which I love) pretty much refuses to work at all with a wireless connection. It becomes Lagtastic!

Ironfistchamp

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'd go wired. Almost for sure to work. Although I did get a laptop with a wireless card and was surprised that it worked out of the box. Albeit with a restricted driver though, but it works!:)

argie
October 15th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I like wireless on my laptop. Works fine. One of the desktops has a wired connection though, but the other has wireless. Don't want wires running all over the house.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Just wondering, which do you prefer to have a wire in your network card or do you prefer wireless in a laptop. My personal opinion a wire is a sure thing especially in Linux.

At home, I use the powered ethernet plugs. The security of wired and the mobility of wireless. :)

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM
use both, but prefer to be tethered.

PartisanEntity
October 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Since I have a laptop I prefer wireless for continued mobility. I did try out a wireless connection for an older XP computer but that didn't work out too well, I suspect it may have been linked to the ill performance of the driver in Home Edition at the time.

prizrak
October 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I dislike wires and think that they are an unnecessary inconvenience.

madsmeg
October 15th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Wired all the way for me, its more secure and faster. nuff said.

Pekkalainen
October 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
All life does develop cancer, however cancer isn't actually caused by anything in the wild it is our bodies breaking down from old age. Cancer wasn't a problem until people started living for 50-60 years old. We are just not meant to live that long in natural environment.

I assure you countless millions have lived to see their eightieth birthday cancer free. But sure, your last statement is correct.

I got so mad I forgot to answer the topic:

Im all wired at the moment. But I plan to make my desktop and laptop wireless shortly. Since I have a 100/10 Mbit connection I do however have the problem of utilizing all that if I switch to wireless. Guess I have to build a wired torrent server :)

x0as
October 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I'd rather use wired but its not an option currently so I'm stuck on wireless.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 15th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I'd rather use wired but its not an option currently so I'm stuck on wireless.

Use these then (http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_ethernet_adapter_hdx101.php)

-grubby
October 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM
wired is just fine for me. I don't really have a use for wireless since my computers are fairly close to each other and just connect through ethernet cables to a router

jgrabham
October 15th, 2007, 02:55 PM
When im within easy wired range, Im happy to run a wire to my laptop (I like wires :]), otherwise, wireless is fine.

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I dislike wires and think that they are an unnecessary inconvenience.

just depends if you need to stream heavy flows of data like HD for instance. wireless doesn't cut it (at least not G)

glupee
October 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM
wired, it's just faster and more secure. That and the fact that i don't own a lappy! :lol:

SunburnedCactus
October 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I've had to use wireless ever since getting the internet in this house. At first it was so much pain but once you get past the headaches of uncooperative hardware it is possible to have a very consistent connection for downloads, streaming and even :o gaming.

But if I had the choice it would be wires.:)

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2007, 05:00 PM

volkswagner
October 15th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I prefer wired for desktops and wireless for laptops.
My broadband connection is not even close in speed to my 802.11b wireless access point. My oldest laptop was contiously having to be plugged in and out which caused the onboard lan jack to toast. Now i have to use a pcmia adapter if i need wired speed. Should have used a dongle (cheaper to replace than a MOBO). If I only new then what I know now!

Convience always has a cost.

red_Marvin
October 15th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Wired whenever possible - for reliability and speed.

markp1989
October 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM
i find that wired for desktops wireless for laptops has always worked well for me

hessiess
October 15th, 2007, 08:04 PM
wired

Erdaron
October 15th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I prefer wires if possible. Far more reliable. However, I'm stuck with wireless in most of the places where I use internet. My roommate and I didn't want to string wires all over the place, so we settled on wireless. Works pretty good, though I don't play online games, so I guess lag doesn't matter to me too much.

...shielded twisted pair cable is a much more safe and natural approach for the Internet.
Ah yes. That free range, organic, home-grown internet!

BTW, cancer cases rapidly increased since the introduction of:
1. Cell phones.
2. Wireless Internet.

That's a correlation, not a cause-and-effect relationship. For example, during the same time, email and ironic tshirts has become much more popular. Do email and ironic tshirts cause cancer?

Other things that have seen much greater use: artificial food dyes and flavors, many of which have been shown to actually, really cause cancer. I am yet to see a scientific study that definitely shows that everyday doses of radio-frequency exposure causes cancer.

bobbocanfly
October 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Wired on my desktops. Wireless on the laptop unless im watching Futurama in bed or something. Seems to run cooler with wires which = less burnt duvet covers.

odiseo77
October 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Living room PC: wired,
My own PC (in my bedroom): wireless.

As many people on this thread I'd prefer to go wired (because is more secure and I could install Debian, Gentoo, etc, via network install), but I'm too lazy to throw a wire from the living room to my bedroom; besides, my wireless card (rt2500 chipset) has native linux drivers and is always fun to set up my wireless connection :)

bonzodog
October 15th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I have two computers at home, a laptop running feisty using the Intel wireless on 128 bit WEP, and a desktop wired up over ethernet to the wireless router- it has 4 physical Ethernet ports as well as a wireless connection. The laptop wireless Just Worked out of the box with Feisty.

prizrak
October 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM
just depends if you need to stream heavy flows of data like HD for instance. wireless doesn't cut it (at least not G)

There is a wireless HDMI standard in the works :)

-SpaZ
October 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Wireless for convenience, wired for performance (guaranteed 100% signal).

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
There is a wireless HDMI standard in the works :)

"in the works" means little. that kind of technology is a given though.

Quillz
October 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM
My entire home network is wireless, and has been so since 2005 with no issues whatsoever. I also configure everything via DHCP, so there is literally no work to do whenever I introduce a new device onto the network, it receives its IP address automatically. I'm good to go with any device in about 30 seconds.

prizrak
October 16th, 2007, 12:24 AM
"in the works" means little. that kind of technology is a given though.

Yeah it's not really done by any means but of course in like 5 years at most it's gonna be in "production" seems somewhat pointless to me to be honest but w/e

NovaAesa
October 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Wired for my computer, wireless when I get a laptop at the end of this year. My brothers and sister who have laptops all use wireless as there's a wireless router in my house.

xpod
October 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
We dont have our own wireless and dont even use a proper router as such.
I just use one of the two desktops we have here(mine & the one my younger girls use) as router/firewall/gateway for the other pc`s around the house, depending on which broadband connection is being shared at the time.It`s not as confusing as it mabey sounds:)

Having two broadband connections as we do really put off the need for any router when it was only 2 pc`s but as more have been added along the way i`ve just wired the relevant rooms for ethernet.I have a little 8 port switching hub which feeds those relevant rooms via ics from here.
Oldest girls room,sons room & the dinning room all have internet access,as well as here, over in the back corner of our large sitting room.

Never had WIFI problems although i have had a few run ins with the WFA(Wife acceptance factor):)
Thankfully her promise to just uninstall me when the pc`s outnumbered the 5 children has not become a reality.(2 of the 6 are laptops i suppose):rolleyes:
None of our bandwidth really is lost along the way and all pc`s are quite capable of receiving whatever we happen to be getting through that modem or stb at the time,depending on other factors too of course.

Everything is filtered as appropriate for the other rooms and everything is so easy to montior and keep watch over.Never had a problem of any sort in the 14 months or so we`ve done things this way.
I do know the benifits of a proper hardware firewall but....
I am the hardware firewall for the childrens pc`s,whilst also having the bandwidth benifit of the modem connected directly.
No dubious servers/services ever really run on any pc acting as gateway and all ports are always as closed, stealthed or secured as i can get them.
If the evil bad guys do ever get in then i would just change ip`s,switch drives and re-install.......i`m forever doing that as it is in fact.

I await the day.......patiently:)

southernman
October 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Wired for me and not for the reasons being thrown about without prejudice here. In time, I'll go wireless... cancer causing radiation and all.

popch
October 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks very much for breaking the vicious circle, and cheers to your wires.

bapoumba
October 16th, 2007, 08:50 PM
The health discussion has been moved here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577794

LookTJ
October 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I use either one, since I just web browse.

stalker145
October 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Wired or wireless depends on the situation. I use wireless on my three laptops for convenience (and the fact that one of them has a bum ethernet port) and hard-wired for my server for speed and stability's sake.