PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your computer for?

TeraDyne
October 15th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I didn't see another thread asking this after doing a quick search. I apologize if there is one.

What do you use your PC\Mac for? Just web and email, or something more?

Personally, I use my desktop (dell inspiron 530 with Kubuntu Fiesty) for web surfing, email, art (thank you GIMP and Wacom), web design\development, writing, schoolwork (online college), and music.

My laptop (emachines m2352 with WinXP and Kubuntu Gutsy RC) is used for schoolwork, my TI 84+, mobile TV tuner, and Maple Story (if they'd only make a Linux client).

yabbadabbadont
October 15th, 2007, 06:12 AM
It would be easier to say what I don't use it for. ;)

I don't use it to prepare food or beverages. :D

PryGuy
October 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I don't use it to prepare food or beverages. :DThat's right! Computer does so many things for me also.

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I didn't see another thread asking this after doing a quick search. I apologize if there is one.

What do you use your PC\Mac for? Just web and email, or something more?

Personally, I use my desktop (dell inspiron 530 with Kubuntu Fiesty) for web surfing, email, art (thank you GIMP and Wacom), web design\development, writing, schoolwork (online college), and music.

My laptop (emachines m2352 with WinXP and Kubuntu Gutsy RC) is used for schoolwork, my TI 84+, mobile TV tuner, and Maple Story (if they'd only make a Linux client).

Primarily I use my computer for posting here on Ubuntuforums.org :lolflag:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46333&d=1192382949

santiagoward2000
October 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I use my laptop with Xubuntu mostly for web surffing and IM, and sometimes to do some work for the university.
I use my XP desktop PC mostly as a wireless gateway (I'm too lazy to install Linux on it, mostly because my ADSL modem is USB). It also has my printer and the games.

vishzilla
October 15th, 2007, 06:36 AM
That's right! Computer does so many things for me also.

+1

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Yes, same here. I use if for a lot of things. And all the native Linux apps get the job done.:)

troy1of2
October 15th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Same here, I use it for so many things it's impossible to list them all but I'll do what I can:

Surf The Web

Look up stuff I want to know about like who starred in that movie we're watching right now and what else did they play in, what drug is this that the doctor prescribed and how does it interact with other drugs, what exactly is a periwinkle and what does it look like or anything else that comes to mind.

Keep up with the latest news.

Keep up with friends and family, what they're doing, when are their birthdays, etc.

Do my online banking and play my bills.

Listen to music once in awhile or watch some video clips.

Play a game once in awhile.

Chat.

Tinker with settings and see what all I can configure.

Learn new stuff like how to program in one language or another. Although I'm not very good at it.

Look up how to play songs on the guitar sometimes.

Check for flight information.

Read a book I just downloaded.

Burn some CD's of music to listen to while working out in the yard or on a trip.

Find out what I broke and how to fix it on Ubuntu Forums. ;-)

There's more, there is always more...

:guitar:

hessiess
October 15th, 2007, 07:48 AM
in order, most to least:

blender
rendering
gimp
web

EdThaSlayer
October 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hmm...
1.Internet
2.Music
3.GIMP
4.Python Programming
5.Watch videos and read manga
6.Life

t0p
October 15th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Okay, let me think what I use this thing for...

Internet/Web, email, listening to music, watching movies, reading (downloadable) books, playing games (Alien Arena; oh, and GnuBG is teaching me to play Backgammon)... and I've just started to learn to code in Python.

Versatile thangs, them computers. :)

C.A.T.S. CEO
October 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
MacBook - School work, video editing, personal stuff, UNIX test bed, and some other stuff.

Ubuntu VM (yet to be created, will be when Gusty is out) - System administration, mobile Ubuntu VM
iMac - School work, video editing, storage, system administration, personal stuff, etc

Ubuntu VM - Linux test bed, etc
Debian box - SSH server for my LoCo, Linux test bed.
iBook G3 (running Ubuntu) - FTP server, PPC test bed.

urukrama
October 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Primarily I use my computer for posting here on Ubuntuforums.org :lolflag:

We've noticed... :p

afeasfaerw23231233
October 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM
bittorrent, watching football, tennis, browsing the web, posting question, openoffice writer and formula... so even a P1 computer would satisfy me. oops, can i watch avi movie and use openoffice on a PI box? so i think computer manufacturers should make their computers more durable! (it should last at least 10 years for 24-7)

fuscia
October 26th, 2007, 09:40 AM
music
surfing&foruming
email
decorating

popch
October 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM
@home: letter weight
@office: raising the monitor some height above the desk

:lolflag:

true:
@home: mail, internet, office suite, managing music and foto collection, solitaire
@office: mail, office suite, document repository, administrting servers and custom apps, internet

Eric the Grey
October 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Yea. I tried the whole "sudo make me a sandwich" thing, but it just gave me an error saying there was no rule to make target 'me'. :lolflag:

Seriously, my laptop, running Gutsy is mainly for watching videos at work, homework or surfing while away from home, and sometimes playing games.

My home machine, running Vista is mainly for bittrorrenting anime and playing serious games that won't run on Linux. :D

:cool: Eric the Grey

Scruffynerf
October 26th, 2007, 11:10 AM
It's the only computer at home.

So:
Email / Internet
Household documents / spreadsheets
Games (on both Ubuntu / XP)
Also, I can do some work from home if need be.
Also, for me - learning. I've only been using linux for about 8 months, and I'm enjoying the learning curve.

boast
October 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Gaming is primary.
Forum spamming comes second.
Multimedia is third.

quixotic-cynic
October 26th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Adding and removing packages. I think I must have OCPD ;)

Sunflower1970
October 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
surfing
email
listening to music
watch movies/tv
web design
using Gimp on photos I take
play around with Compiz-Fusion
learn more cool Linux stuff :D

eggdeng
October 26th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Lying about my pr0n surfing habits in online surveys.