PDA

View Full Version : From Windows to Gutsy in 17 minutes!

Tux Aubrey
October 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Unbelievable - 17 minutes from inserting a Live CD (Gutsy RC) to logging-in after the installation reboot. This includes manually re-partitioning my Master drive to finally overwrite XP and set up a separate /home partition.

After another half an hour installing restricted drivers and a total of 80 new and updated packages via Synaptic, I was fully locked and loaded. I had my precious 1920x1200 resolution working with compiz, all bookmarks copied over, Canon printer working, all attached drives mounted and I was listening to MP3s and watching DVDs without a hitch.

And to think it used to take me half a day to reinstall XP, MSOffice etc etc and then go looking for drivers!

Absolutely marvellous.

-grubby
October 15th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I know, isn't it great! In fact I just installed Debian an hour ago and it's fully setup and working now!

FredB
October 15th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Only 17 minutes ? Wow ! :)

It tooks me 25 minutes using alternate iso when installing beta. And 70 minutes more to grab back my music (around 1700 ogg files) and my tools / drivers.

As an "old" ubuntu user, I know I will have a fully working environment in around 2 hours... And 3 hours more when installing a windows on somebody computer who doesn't like linux ! :)

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Unbelievable - 17 minutes from inserting a Live CD (Gutsy RC) to logging-in after the installation reboot. This includes manually re-partitioning my Master drive to finally overwrite XP and set up a separate /home partition.

After another half an hour installing restricted drivers and a total of 80 new and updated packages via Synaptic, I was fully locked and loaded. I had my precious 1920x1200 resolution working with compiz, all bookmarks copied over, Canon printer working, all attached drives mounted and I was listening to MP3s and watching DVDs without a hitch.

And to think it used to take me half a day to reinstall XP, MSOffice etc etc and then go looking for drivers!

Absolutely marvellous.

Tux Aubrey I hardly recognized you in your "skull" form. ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46333&d=1192382949

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I know, isn't it great! In fact I just installed Debian an hour ago and it's fully setup and working now!I install Debian today also but I couldn't get X to work I tried

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

in root

...but I keep running into difficulty when trying to set up 24bit on my monitor, which works with every other distro, I am not sure what was wrong.

I lost patience and returned to Xubuntu.

santy_kushwaha
October 15th, 2007, 05:54 AM
ohhh lalala bravo that nice i did that in 25 min but 17mins that awwsome i instal ubuntu on many computer but 17 mins never always 25 to 30 mins keep it up UBUNTU

vishzilla
October 15th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Very good. Can't wait for Gutsy, will install the final release. I am bit apprehensive in installing betas and RCs.

p_quarles
October 15th, 2007, 05:56 AM
I had the same experience. 7.10 definitely includes some major improvements with Ubiquity (or whatever the installer is called). I was kind of shocked at how quickly it installed.

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Absolutely marvellous.

ohhh lalala bravo that nice i did that in 25 min but 17mins that awwsome i instal ubuntu on many computer but 17 mins never always 25 to 30 mins keep it up UBUNTU

I have honestly never timed my install but in my mind it seems to take about 10 minutes give or take a few minutes...

Tux Aubrey
October 15th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Tux Aubrey I hardly recognized you in your "skull" form.

Its just for Halloween, RAV TUX. I will return to my nautical roots very soon. I'm not the type of person who just changes their Avatar on a whim, you know. :popcorn:

And why haven't the mods "jailed" your animated userbar yet? Is it "Be Nice to RAV TUX Week" again?

It tooks me 25 minutes using alternate iso when installing beta. And 70 minutes more to grab back my music (around 1700 ogg files) and my tools / drivers.

I was really surprised by the speed this time (and my download speed was sitting at around 10Mb/minute for the updates and new packages). That was from our local (Australian) mirror.

TeraDyne
October 15th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Very good. Can't wait for Gutsy, will install the final release. I am bit apprehensive in installing betas and RCs.

From what I've seen of the RC, which I installed on my laptop, it's quite stable, and pretty. I had a little problem with resizing my WinXP partition, but other than that, nothing I wouldn't expect from a final release. I used the alternate install CD, and it seemed much easier than using Ubiquity, and much faster than Fiesty's alt install.

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Its just for Halloween, RAV TUX. I will return to my nautical roots very soon. I'm not the type of person who just changes their Avatar on a whim, you know. :popcorn:

And why haven't the mods "jailed" your animated userbar yet? Is it "Be Nice to RAV TUX Week" again?

I was really surprised by the speed this time (and my download speed was sitting at around 10Mb/minute for the updates and new packages). That was from our local (Australian) mirror.

ahh Halloween avatars, if I didn't like my current custom avatar so much I would change mine...

The animated userbar you made me is just part of my post that I manually insert much like a animated smiley, so it is not set to my signature. So it's all good unless I hear otherwise. :lolflag:

btw your skull reminds me of a book I am currently reading:

Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaleship_Essex)

great read btw

Tux Aubrey
October 15th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Yes. I know I shouldn't (and vowed I wouldn't) but I can never resist the temptation not to install the RC. I have been playing with Gutsy Xubuntu in a VM since Tribe 3 and did decide that it was "good enough" for a real install. So far I have had no problems at all. It seems very polished.

And RAV, I shall certainly follow-up on the book - I love a good whaling and cannibalism story - it actually sounds similar in some ways to the fate of the Bounty mutineers who ended up on Pitcairn Island (a saga that has repurcussions to this day). On the subject of medical (as opposed to recreational/culinary) trepanning, there are two such incidents in the "Master and Commander" series, graphically described and quite important to the story.

Polygon
October 15th, 2007, 07:33 AM
windows takes so long because for some reason its instatllation process takes so long compared to ubuntu....not to mention you cant use the computer while its installing

then its another major timesink to download like 5 updates at a time (at a pretty slow speed)...then restart....then another like 20....restart.....then you keep going and going and going until like two hours later when its finally done.

then you get to install some drivers and stuff....with each one requiring another restart.

then installing all your other programs which each has its own installer..requiring you to press next next next unclick a check box next next finish....and some even requiring a restart.

i seriously dread reinstalling windows just cause it takes so damn long

slider2800
October 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM
True. I hate to work with windows too.. Actually i have to do a reinstall somewhere almost every week. Wheter its my mom who's wrecking her computer or the chicks in the office kill off a machine...
...and it always takes half a day, or more.

Hell i'd enjoy seeing linux on all those computers, but sadly its not my choice. i'm just the IT guy whos fixing everything. like a digital janitor. :D

Btw that 17min install is a neat record...
I got Xubuntu Feisty fully installed on my "relic", a Comaq Deskpro (400mhz cpu + 128mb ram + 6,4gbyte hdd) on around 35 minutes... went so damn easy.

Polygon
October 15th, 2007, 08:01 AM
True. I hate to work with windows too.. Actually i have to do a reinstall somewhere almost every week. Wheter its my mom who's wrecking her computer or the chicks in the office kill off a machine...
...and it always takes half a day, or more.

Hell i'd enjoy seeing linux on all those computers, but sadly its not my choice. i'm just the IT guy whos fixing everything. like a digital janitor. :D

Btw that 17min install is a neat record...
I got Xubuntu Feisty fully installed on my "relic", a Comaq Deskpro (400mhz cpu + 128mb ram + 6,4gbyte hdd) on around 35 minutes... went so damn easy.

i just recalled a program that i saw at a library that was very interestering. its called "deep freeze" and essentialyl waht it does, is it takes a snapshot of the drive...and when you reboot it, no matter WHAT you do to it, when you restart it will go back to that snapshot of the drive. You can set folders/drives as 'thawspaces' which are not effected by the reboot-to-restore thing....and by the looks of your situation you might benefit from it. it costs money though...

slider2800
October 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Hmm. sounds interesting. i think i'll take a look at it.
though i guess i stick to the old method..
We're not really in the situation that we could spend money on software like this... at least thats whay my boss would say. and its hard to convince him that investing a little in such stuff would make it easier to get the computers back to "w00t status" fast...

eh. we'll see. :D

But thanks for the advice m8.

EdThaSlayer
October 15th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Takes me 15 minutes to install Ubuntu itself but then 1 week to get all the files I need. I really need to get my own internet connection, internet cafes and packages.ubuntu.com don't really work. :D