PDA

View Full Version : Hatred towards America(ns)

Nano Geek
October 15th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I have noticed that on the Ubuntu Forums in the Cafe and in the Backyard, there seems to be a hatred towards America and the American population.

Just about every time America is mentioned, they start saying that either Americans are stupid and fat, our president is stupid, our president is a dictator, our government is corrupt, America attacks countries to get their oil, ect.

It's just annoying to see so many lies being disguised as truth. I realize, of course, that you can't tell people not to say anything negative about America, but is there anything that could be done? I'm somewhat at the end of my rope here.

Thanks in advance.

jdong
October 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Hi,

Posts like that with demeaning stereotypes of a population are definitely against forum guidelines and the spirit we foster around here...

You are welcome to report such posts so that we can deal with them. Alternatively, if you can think of some better way of handling the situation, we are open to suggestions.

Nano Geek
October 15th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Yea, I was having trouble thinking of something that would do the job and yet not sound like you were playing favorites.

Maybe one of the staff could post in the Backyard and remind everyone there to show respect and no demeaning people and all of that. Or maybe I just shouldn't stay in the Backyard if I don't like what they are saying.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

matthew
October 15th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Maybe one of the staff could post in the Backyard and remind everyone there to show respect and no demeaning people and all of that.It's in this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=363775)...although I can't make everyone read it.
*ALL* posts and replies must be polite and courteous. You are never free to degrade, demean, humiliate, provoke and/or attack other forum members, ethnic groups or political groups, etc.

Nano Geek
October 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Thank you matthew. Hopefully they will get the hint.

I was just about to let this go, then I saw this posted there.

To hell with countries, borders & nationalism, I love the planet & the universe, with gratitude for every moment I have been lucky enough to experience.

By the way, hell doesn't actually exist except in people's imaginations! :lolflag:Is saying something like that against the rules? I tend to think it is, but I'm not sure what I would call it.

And please tell me if I'm getting to worked up with this and if I should just move on.

matthew
October 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I don't know that there is anything to be done about this particular post you are quoting, or posts that are similar. He is not in direct violation of the forum rules, since the post is in the backyard. He's expressing an opinion, albeit strongly.

That's the sort of thing you should probably just move on from in the backyard.

Nano Geek
October 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
OK, thanks matthew.