PDA

View Full Version : OS feature limit?

jpittack
October 15th, 2007, 01:47 AM
(This concerns any operating system.)

Now that we have a 3D desktop, auto detection of drivers, etc, is there any features that have been left out? And I don't mean tools or utilities. Those probably won't have an end.

Hear is what I would like everyone to keep in mind. New versions don't count. Plugins (such as a plugin for compiz or firefox) doesn't count. A feature inside of a program doesn' count. It needs to be associated with either the UI or the OS.

Have features reached an end?

user1397
October 15th, 2007, 02:04 AM

Now that we have a 3D desktop, auto detection of drivers, etc, is there any features that have been left out? And I don't mean tools or utilities. Those probably won't have an end.

Hear is what I would like everyone to keep in mind. New versions don't count. Plugins (such as a plugin for compiz or firefox) doesn't count. A feature inside of a program doesn' count. It needs to be associated with either the UI or the OS.

Features will never reach an end. There will always be something that can be added/improved in every OS.

Ireclan
October 15th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Features have a theoretical limit. But no product has ever been in existence long enough, nor its programmers perfect enough, to reach this limit.

Overbyte
October 15th, 2007, 02:21 AM
- Perfect voice recognition...
- Advanced self-optimizing code (the OS updates and compiles itself, having an AI)
- The quest for the perfect user interface that anybody will love
- A computer that passes the Turing Test and does more
- Advanced forms of neural networks or sophisticated coding that allows computers to literally think like a human brain.
- A file system that merges features of EXT3 with htrees, VxFS, XFS, Reiser, and the like (efficient and scalable to gazillions of 1 TB-sized files and more, supports parallel access and has a rich user access control set)

There's always more to do :D

When light-based processors do come out, computers and their OSes will have some new uses and possibilities. This is what we like about technology and being on the edge of it :D

Cheers!

EdThaSlayer
October 15th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I can't wait till my computer can think. That would be pretty cool, unless my computer becomes evil.

Sunnz
October 15th, 2007, 04:25 AM
- Advanced self-optimizing code (the OS updates and compiles itself, having an AI)

I used to do this with Gentoo, just write a script and set up a cronjob, not a difficult thing to do.

Sunnz
October 15th, 2007, 04:26 AM
But features lacking in Linux I can think of on top of my head:

Kernel Security Level.
CHFlags.
DTrace.

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 04:34 AM

We've only just begun & everything counts. ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46333&d=1192382949

RAV TUX
October 15th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I can't wait till my computer can think. That would be pretty cool, unless my computer becomes evil.I would like to be able to just wave my head over the computer and have it do everything I want it to do...

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46333&d=1192382949

swoll1980
October 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Automatic installation of windows wireless drivers, and maybe a wrapper for windows printer drivers

vishzilla
October 15th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Including features is alright, but putting the features to good use is important. It should rightly meet the user demand. Some question the necessity of 3D compisiting enabled by default, even the devs thought about it. However, its worth trying it now before the LTS release next year.

This isnt the end, innovation is limitless

jpittack
October 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM
A bigger response than I thought. Kudos to all of you. I am thinking the next big thing will be 3D desktops that are projected into space. So in other words, star war holograms that you can interact with.

I kind of thought that features as far as on a monitor go are done, as far as usable or helpful ones go. search your computer with tracker. 3d desktop. taskbar or avant. workspaces. virtualization. battery monitoring. wireless tools.

one feature I have always wanted is to be on the desktop and start typing, and then I get a list that searches the computer like tracker. no need to click a button or use a key to bring up the start menu (vista, osx). thats real instant search.

UbuWu
October 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM

There are only 1544 features left to implemented at the moment:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

After that.... who knows...

happysmileman
October 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
When you can install an OS on any hardware, have the OS detect all hardware, optimise itself for it, enable all features that the hardware can comfortably handle and interface with you like a person can

aaaantoine
October 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM
There are only 1544 features left to implemented at the moment:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

After that.... who knows...

Indeed. For example, a GUI that treats screen resolution as a gauge of image quality, not of widget size (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ResolutionIndependence).

skwishybug
October 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I would like to be able to just wave my head over the computer and have it do everything I want it to do...

User: <wave hand> This is not the document I am looking for.

Computer: This is not the document you were looking for.