PDA

View Full Version : idea to promote linux

arkara
October 15th, 2007, 01:15 AM
one very very good thing to do is to subscibe to microsoft's forums and then promote linux directly on windows users
this would convert some people and most of all make microsoft pissed off and it will be a funny one

happysmileman
October 15th, 2007, 01:16 AM
one very very good thing to do is to subscibe to microsoft's forums and then promote linux directly on windows users
this would convert some people and most of all make microsoft pissed off and it will be a funny one

Like the people who come here just to waste our time and **** us off... There's a fine line between ******* off Microsoft and ******* off unsuspecting customers and that's crossing it.

reza81
October 15th, 2007, 01:19 AM
naive

fdrake
October 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Like the people who come here just to waste our time and **** us off... There's a fine line between ******* off Microsoft and ******* off unsuspecting customers and that's crossing it.

well we don't want to **** of unsuspecting customers we just want them to know what linux is and what can do . Many of them are just to afraid to try.

aysiu
October 15th, 2007, 01:22 AM
As long as you're prepared to be called a Linux fanboy or troll and then get banned, go for it.

arkara
October 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM
why people tell me why you think this is stupid?
i'd like to hear your views.
if you are so pissed off then why bother answering?
would this hurt the comunity?

happysmileman
October 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM
well we don't want to **** of unsuspecting customers we want just them to know what linux is and what can do . Many of them are just to afraid to try. I don't think it's a bad idea overall.

But it'll make us look as if we're forcing it on them, maybe if there's Chit-Chat subforum of something post a link to here, not just "Switch to Linux" but "Ubuntu Gutsy released" with some info on it, but we should never gointo a thread where someone is asking for help and tell them to get Linux, it'll just **** too much people off

aysiu
October 15th, 2007, 01:27 AM
would this hurt the comunity? Yes. It reinforces the stereotype of overevangelizing Linux users who want to convert everyone to Linux and push Linux as a drop-in replacement for Windows, when it isn't.

arkara
October 15th, 2007, 01:30 AM
i plan to make a post not to evangelize linux just thr pros and cons

fuscia
October 15th, 2007, 01:31 AM
free toasters (not with netbsd installed).

southernman
October 15th, 2007, 01:43 AM
i plan to make a post not to evangelize linux just thr pros and cons

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/evangelize

wrap it up in any wrapper you want, a duck is still a duck.

If your free will wants to do this, why are you asking for opinions... only to try and discredit them when given?

aysiu
October 15th, 2007, 01:46 AM
If you're that determined to do it, just do it.

You can start here:
http://winvistaforums.com/linux/

arkara
October 15th, 2007, 01:50 AM
ok i just did it

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2268414&SiteID=1
tell me your opinions

osxcapades
October 15th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Arkara, I am sorry but this was never a good idea.

First of all, the forum you posted in is intended to be used for "discuss[ing] client application development using Windows Forms controls and features," [1] which makes your post off topic. Secondly, the two blocks of text written in all caps are unlikely to leave a good impression. Thirdly, people looking for alternatives to Windows probably won't be browsing Windows development forums. I think Microsoft would be well within their rights to delete that message.

[1] http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=8&SiteID=1

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 02:26 AM

wow.

zmjjmz
October 15th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Um... that last line should be edited out...
A better way to do this would be to use Dell's Ideastorm and promote the Idea of using Ubuntu in every product, which would end up in maybe a few more Ubuntu users...

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 02:31 AM
ok i just did it

tell me your opinions

you wasted your time and made yourself look silly in the process. also, you should have used a different name. i hope they don't like it to this forum. poor taste, man.

Kingsley
October 15th, 2007, 02:34 AM
ok i just did it

tell me your opinions
Oh gosh. This deserves a face palm.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/demasterk/facepalm.jpg

I assume English isn't your native language so you most likely don't know how weird some of what you posted seems. We can see that you have good intentions but there are others ways of promoting Linux.

Overbyte
October 15th, 2007, 02:36 AM
REMEMBER PEOPLE IT'S ALL ABOUT CHOICE AND MICROSOFT DOES NOT GIVE YOU ANY

:lolflag:

Well, they do. You have many flavors of Vista to choose from :)

Seriously, you can tweak Windows to the point that it "behaves", and does not send any stuff out into the Internet. If that fails, just pull the LAN cable.

Still, we shouldn't force people to switch, as Linux is not exactly a more stable version of Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm). Sure, there are no blue screens of death. But there ARE those rare kernel panics.

And the place where you posted it is about .NET Forms...maybe he wants programmers to read the article :)

Frak
October 15th, 2007, 02:41 AM
If you do it, do it indirectly. Dont' go up to a thread and say "******* 15 teh suxxorz, u53 l1nux!"

Just post a thing about ubuntu in your sig. "An easy to use Linux Operating System for Novice users...20,000 free programs to install from local software servers...No Malware"

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 02:43 AM
^^ too late.

southernman
October 15th, 2007, 02:46 AM
If you do it, do it indirectly. Dont' go up to a thread and say "******* 15 teh suxxorz, u53 l1nux!"

Just post a thing about ubuntu in your sig. "An easy to use Linux Operating System for Novice users...20,000 free programs to install from local software servers...No Malware"

To late Frak... OP's tin foil fell off and they went nuts already

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 02:51 AM
backfired. check out that first reply. way to link back to us arkara. hopefully they'll read this thread and see that NOBODY here agrees with the idiotic thing you just pulled.

Overbyte
October 15th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Someone replied to his thread around a minute ago and traced it back here to this very thread :D

Believe it or not, a lot of us know about the Linux OS. We might even use it as part of our work, or at least dual-boot. But I know from experience it's NOT a viable solution to Windows, not for the work I do. The ideological principles of Linux do not interest me in the slightest - all I care about is if the operating system runs the software that allows me to achieve my goals. Linux does not, for now.

Please don't evangelize Linux here so blatently. Linuxers complain when Windows evangelists post on their sites, why do it here?

Thanks.

BTW: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=576074 :D

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 02:53 AM
i wonder if the OP got scared and unplugged his PC.

FoolsGold_
October 15th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Heys guys. I'm the poster in the MSDN forums.

I decided to remove the link to this thread from my posting because I realized it might do a disservice to the community. I just wanted to teach the OP a lesson on the wrong way to preach Linux. :)

Later. :guitar:

southernman
October 15th, 2007, 03:40 AM
i wonder if the OP got scared and unplugged his PC.

We can only hope that same voice that spoke to him and said : "Dude use Linux" spoke to him again and said: "Dude, don't be an _____"

Weird coincidence hopefully, but just after you alerted us that someone replied to his thread... I couldn't reach UF.org for a few minutes. I thought... say hello to our little friend, mr. DDOS!

Frak
October 15th, 2007, 03:49 AM
We can only hope that same voice that spoke to him and said : "Dude use Linux" spoke to him again and said: "Dude, don't be an _____"

Weird coincidence hopefully, but just after you alerted us that someone replied to his thread... I couldn't reach UF.org for a few minutes. I thought... say hello to our little friend, mr. DDOS!
I was wondering what that was...

p_quarles
October 15th, 2007, 03:51 AM

Yeah, I had the same thought. I try to avoid the tinfoil hat except in emergencies (omgalienz!!?!), but the timing there did seem a little odd. (but seriously folks, no evidence = coincidence until proven otherwise)

Anyway, the lesson for the OP: "no, you will not be greeted as a liberator."

southernman
October 15th, 2007, 04:11 AM
@Frak -
I was wondering what that was...Things that make us go... hmmm ;)

@p_quarles
Yeah, I had the same thought. I try to avoid the tinfoil hat except in emergencies (omgalienz!!?!), but the timing there did seem a little odd. (but seriously folks, no evidence = coincidence until proven otherwise)Definately seemed odd. I am certain however, it was purely coincidental.

Anyway, the lesson for the OP: "no, you will not be greeted as a liberator."ONE of the many lessons gained... or should be.

Sunnz
October 15th, 2007, 04:15 AM
But it'll make us look as if we're forcing it on them, maybe if there's Chit-Chat subforum of something post a link to here, not just "Switch to Linux" but "Ubuntu Gutsy released" with some info on it, but we should never gointo a thread where someone is asking for help and tell them to get Linux, it'll just **** too much people off

Try that here:

http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

It is more appropriate as it is "General PC".

Sunnz
October 15th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I myself just simply put a bunch of Ubuntu CD at the shopfront of my RESTAURANT; I put about 10 and it is gone like in 3-5 days.

Overbyte
October 15th, 2007, 06:49 AM

I decided to remove the link to this thread from my posting because I realized it might do a disservice to the community. I just wanted to teach the OP a lesson on the wrong way to preach Linux. :)

Oh no...he's here...run!
Kidding :lolflag:

Linux shouldn't be preached and forced into people's throats. It's better for us to just inform the user that there is alternative OS, and let the user him/herself decide if he/she really wants to make a switch. Hence why Ubuntu ships as a live CD. Hence why the old "hey wanna try this out it's cool" conversation between friends still works wonders of spreading the word.

Anyway, enough of this discussion :D

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM

lol, welcome.

lol, same here. lesson learnt!