PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Mac Book Pro

lyceum
October 15th, 2007, 12:28 AM
So I am thinking about buying a Mac book pro once I get my student loan money. I hear it has better hardware and is better for artists and web designers. I was wondering if this is the hard ware, or if they are talking about the OS.

Also, I know I can run Ubuntu in OS X, as they have a picture of Ubuntu running on the box (for the program, not the Mac). What I would like to know is, can you run OS X inside Ubuntu? I would like to use Ubuntu, and I hate dual booting. But I would love to be able to run OS X (the one that will be coming out soon) inside Ubuntu to run any programs I need, not native to Ubuntu. I was wondering if anyone else has done this or knows anything about it.

phubai
October 15th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Try VMWare Fusion to run linux and Mac OSX from your bootcamp partition. It works very well that way and you have the best of both worlds.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 15th, 2007, 12:35 AM
So I am thinking about buying a Mac book pro once I get my student loan money. I hear it has better hardware and is better for artists and web designers. I was wondering if this is the hard ware, or if they are talking about the OS.

Also, I know I can run Ubuntu in OS X, as they have a picture of Ubuntu running on the box (for the program, not the Mac). What I would like to know is, can you run OS X inside Ubuntu? I would like to use Ubuntu, and I hate dual booting. But I would love to be able to run OS X (the one that will be coming out soon) inside Ubuntu to run any programs I need, not native to Ubuntu. I was wondering if anyone else has done this or knows anything about it.

Macbooks and Macbook pro's are just intel x68 machines with OSX on it. I use a macbook for work and its ok - a little farty and bloaty. Make sure you get plenty of RAM cos OSX is greedy.

Not sure how its "better" fo web designers and artists. In what way? Lots of arty media types use them, but im not sure its entirely cos macs are better for that work, its more down to the aesthetics of the machine itself. I manage perfectly well doing lots of tasks like web work and photography on my linux box. Wouldnt say OSX is better for that - in some ways its more annoying (finder, iphoto are very very very poor for photo viewing and manipulation). OSX is a weird OS, its at turns very good and very annoying in equal measure.

Lastly, I dont think its possible to run OSX inside ubuntu, but I might be wrong.

fuscia
October 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM
i thought it was the ppc that got credit for being better for artists. (at least, with the intel, it will be one fourth as slow as the ppc.)

Incense
October 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM
If you have a PPC Mac, you can run Mac On Linux (http://mac-on-linux.sourceforge.net/) to access your OS X partition, and run OSX in Linux. That actually worked really well, and is great for sites where you might need flash, or even doing the old iTunes deal. I do not think this is possible with the new intel macs though.

You have VMWARE and parallels to run Ubuntu from within osX, so you don't have to dual boot. IMO The only real reason to buy a mac is to use OSX. If you would rather use Ubuntu, then why not just buy a dell, or something like that?

wdo_will
October 15th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I have a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro and am very happy with it... OS X is a decent OS (certainly is better than Windoze), but I use Ubuntu the majority of the time (nativly) on it anyway.

r41nz0r
January 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I'm planning on purchasing a Mac Book Pro tomorrow and running Ubuntu on it ;)