PDA

View Full Version : How did you find out about Ubuntu?

normnmiles
October 14th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I first heard of Ubuntu at the Archlinux forums. Someone had mentioned that they were leaving and Ubuntu was mentioned there. I checked it out and have been using it since.

FLeiXiuS
October 14th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I found out from my homeland. www.MadPenguin.org

Rancoras
October 14th, 2004, 05:08 PM
The initial announcement on OSNews hooked me.

Julle
October 14th, 2004, 10:31 PM
I'm not quite sure. Either from OSNews or from DistroWatch. Probably the first one linked to the second one. :)

gpiper
October 14th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Yup, either Distrowatch and/or OSNews, depending on which RSS feed I clicked on first in Bloglines that day...

-ghp

FX
October 14th, 2004, 11:09 PM
cyberjackle told me.

FX

Jspired
October 14th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Distrowatch.com

arctic
October 15th, 2004, 12:24 AM
i followed this distro through distrowatch.com even before it got a name and dowloaded and installed it the very first day it was released. :)

Infatuated_iPod
October 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM
I found while searching Google for open source software, somehow i wound up on the Ubuntu Website, and i fell in love.

Perfect Storm
October 15th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Cybrjackle told me too, and FX told me about this board.

You two grab a banana :wink:

HungSquirrel
October 15th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Multiple /. stories.

spaaz9
October 15th, 2004, 08:20 PM
JL. I will pretty much try anything he recommends to me.

adbak
October 15th, 2004, 09:36 PM
My friend and linux guru told me. And I still haven't finished thanking him.

arctic
October 16th, 2004, 12:15 AM
You two grab a banana
ai, you banana junkie... :D

eNiNjA
October 16th, 2004, 05:01 AM
the ubuntu-geek told me :D

bobmrph
October 16th, 2004, 06:06 AM
It came up on the Libranet forum. From there to distrowatch.

Perfect Storm
October 16th, 2004, 09:12 AM
You two grab a banana
ai, you banana junkie... :D

w00t!!! You are also here Artic :)
You too, take a banana http://thilockdominus.freehomepage.com/images/bandevil.gif

Liz
October 16th, 2004, 09:22 AM
im on the SLUG mailing list. Jeff did a demo of it at the September meeting, and Jan did another demo on the saturday at a linux workshop i went to. i got a copy of the dist then, and installed it.

its great.

FX
October 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Artificial Intelligence I was wondering if that was Arctic from over younder.

Hidy Ho Arctic. Nice to see you join the "group"

FX

im_ka
October 16th, 2004, 06:05 PM
distrowatch

Henrik
October 16th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Mark Shuttleworth told me in August :)

Perfect Storm
October 16th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Artificial Intelligence I was wondering if that was Arctic from over younder.

Hidy Ho Arctic. Nice to see you join the "group"

FX

Hehehehe....soon we're all gathering here 8)

Geekboy
October 16th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Either OSnews or Distrowatch. Downloaded the 1st day they had an article.

I'm a newbie (experience wise) to Linux. I've tried all sorts distros, Mandrake, Red Hat, Debian, Gentoo (ouch that was painful) and many others.

I really liked Debian the best. Apt-Get just rocks. And when I found out about a "Desktop" Debian I had to try it.

cDAwoody
October 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM
www.extremetech.com

Ronny
October 17th, 2004, 07:37 AM
:arrow: Someone from ebay who sells Linux distros told me about it.

jeremy
October 17th, 2004, 11:19 AM
I can't remember exactly, I think it was at linuxquestions forum.

I had been using dos, then ******* for many years, and early this millenium I began to feel that, as a support tech among other computer related jobs of work, that I had a moral obligation to ditch micro$oft products, and be able to hold my head high again!

In 2000 I started to tinker with various distros, stopped, started again... but never really found anything that I could use as my daily workhorse. As time went by I became more convinced that:
A) I HAD to stop using imperialist software as it became ever more symbolic of the the way our sorry planet is heading.
B) As a well known geek in my small town (people stop me in the street and ask me what software I use), I HAD to use linux and try to encourage others to do the same.
So, about 2 months about I decided to go ahead, I built a new PC (my old one was getting a bit long in the tooth anyway) and started trying out different distros, several were very nearly able to provide what I needed, but there would always be one or more fairly serious, and to my newbie eyes, unsurmountale problems. Then I found ubuntu (or should I say, it found me), and, since then, no looking back.

I still use that 'yankee inperialist' software on my old PC, but only really to refer to old e-mails and so on. My new PC running ubuntu is my workhorse. I walk down the street with a spring in my step once more!

Ronny
October 17th, 2004, 07:14 PM
I still use that 'yankee inperialist' software on my old PC, but only really to refer to old e-mails and so on. My new PC running ubuntu is my workhorse. I walk down the street with a spring in my step once more!

I really felt the desire to respond to your whole post... I simply want to say...

WELCOME TO LINUX!!

More and more people are switching today, but I feel if we can hurry it along... the quicker the better!! I really understand and completely agree with you about where this world is headed these days. Such a shame! But if we all do our part, we can make this change. The more effort we put into this, the faster it will take place!

Also, I believe that Mr. Dollar Bill, the Gates keeper would have a lot to do with the insertion of MICRO-chips into our bodies!! We MUST refuse this!! This is what WOULD lead us into the the NewWorld Order!! And this is NOT something that would do our world any good at all... NO... Bush and his clan want to begin the new world order eventually leading to the reduction of population by as much as 80%... so that they would be able to live like Gods. Think not?? Go To www.infowars.com and just be open and know that even though we may be SET in our ways ... maybe, just maybe... there might be some info out there that would help us understand what may be going on under the scenes. Hey... open up and look around... it's already happening with what their doing to our foods and medicines. Our foods contain many ingredients today that are simply there to make us sick and eventually kill us off! Also, our medicines have more warnings and dangers than what they are suppose to help! (this is just the start of what's to come) There are so many thing we don't know about that go on everyday and the media is forced not to say. This is only the beginning of this... but I cannot go on about this here...

//Edit: Don't forget about that JAMA lists now, 200,000 deaths occur every year, just by doctors mistakes! And this is growing! What does this say? This figure just went up last year by 50,000!!

I've got to give Linspire a lot of credit for the marketing strategy they just started to aid people in making the change! Michael Robertson sees the realities of all this and is very much for the change. If anyone cares to check this out, go here... www.lraiser.com

Ok... again welcome to Linux!!
-----------------------------------
//Edit: sorry... this message is really for everyone too!

Mazza558
March 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I first heard about it through PortableApps, as this opened my eyes to all the FOSS out there. I had already been using Firefox for a while, and tried out 5.10. I continued to switch between XP/Ubuntu until I started dual-booting with 6.06. I now run XP on my desktop (it's for games) and Ubuntu on my laptop.

Tux Aubrey
March 18th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Wow. Three and a half years between posts on this thread. That MUST be a record!

But since the question is fresh again, I found out about Ubuntu when one of my sons left a magazine cover disk in my PC and I rebooted. That was Dapper and I was so stunned I played with it and a week later I installed it. I dual booted for six months and then realized I wasn't using Windows at all anymore. Out it went! Inow have Ubuntu (or variants) on three desktops and two laptops and have given away heaps of disks.

TomMK
March 18th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Paul Thurrotts WinSupersite.

I'm not joking. :)

NightwishFan
March 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I suffer from long term memory loss (no lie) I forgot how I found out but I remember after I found out I looked it up on youtube and checked out things like compiz. Then I burned it when I noticed I was good enough to dual boot right.

Jeff Rage
March 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I did a lot of online research about the various distributions, and Ubuntu seemed to be the one that was best for me.

original_jamingrit
March 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I did a lot of online research about the various distributions, and Ubuntu seemed to be the one that was best for me.
for me...

:s/lot of online search about/couple of google searches about/

:s/seemed to be the one that was best for me/second one I tried (first was fedora core 4 a year before)/

:D

Chame_Wizard
March 18th, 2008, 09:54 PM
via a school project about Linux,one of the student has a few Ubuntu live cd.that was in february 2006 :guitar: