PDA

View Full Version : PC or Game?.

yorkie
October 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Is there a practical use for Compiz or is it just for fun and should it be put in the Games Menu.
What can I do that I can`t already do in Ubuntu that will make my time on PC more efficient/productive by using Compiz Fusion.
Are computers changing to becoming electronic toys that do other stuff! as well.

cogadh
October 14th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I don't think it belongs in the games menu, it's not a game, it is more like a desktop enhancement or theme. It doesn't really have a practical use that I have found, it's just eye-candy.

NilsHG
October 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM
i do find expose or scale plugins very usefull
and i do like to think that they have improved myproductivity.
i would defenately not put compiz in the games area. sure, you can play around with it but it is not meant as a game. it is eye candy, visual upgrade to your desktop experience.

-grubby
October 14th, 2007, 06:28 PM
compiz-fusion isn't a game, it doesn't belong in the games menu. Its eye-candy that I have found no practical use for either

LowSky
October 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM
its not a game, but i do play around with it. Its naturally under the System>Prefernces tab for a reason. I help me work more effeciantly I would say. as it allows me to set differnet behaviors for windows, and the cube function is great for working on many things at once.

hessiess
October 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM
it has no practical use, and just wastes prosessing power and electrisaty.it should be disabled by defalt. aswell it looks ugly, simpler is better

tcpip4lyfe
October 14th, 2007, 07:05 PM
it has no practical use, and just wastes prosessing power and electrisaty.it should be disabled by defalt. aswell it looks ugly, simpler is better

Functionality alone doesn't gain market share.

starcraft.man
October 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Well I disagree with a lot of people here. I think that Compiz-Fusion is a welcome enhancement to the desktop and it does contribute to the functionality of the system. Scale, expo, windows previews (the thumbnail on minimized), annotate plugin, combined with the screen edge mapping make me more productive IMO. There are other plugins that are just "flash" like wobbly windows and the cube (both of which I like :D) but many are really helpful to folks. To a certain degree I'd also say the eye candy is necessary in the face of OSX which has this functional desktop and does it very well, people just expect a certain level of flash and metacity alone doesn't really do it.

Ireclan
October 14th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I think that Compize Fusion does increase productivity. However, I don't use it, as I'm not sure my computer could handle it and I like doing things the old fashioned way. On a related note, more eye candy for computers is inevitable, because it is human nature to seek things which are, in each person's eyes, beautiful (why humans do this is an interesting question, but alas, is offtopic). There is of course a limit to how much eye candy can be stuffed into a computing experience, but this varies with each person.

Like others, I agree Compize Fusion is not a game.

Frak
October 14th, 2007, 07:28 PM
It does not increase productivity. (Though it can sooth you if you favor smooth fading menus instead of instant popups)
IMHO, the novelty of it wears off VERY quick. Starts to become annoying, and slows down your computer a bit.

aimran
October 14th, 2007, 08:51 PM
As a person who uses his computer with his mouse mostly, navigating open windows with expose is a welcome addition to the lazy surfer's arsenal of couch potato tricks. So yeah it does improve productivity.

Middle click, expose, pick window. Instead of mousing over to the taskbar and finding that damned opened app.

matthewdhandley
October 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I find that compiz-fusion increases my productivity quite a bit. Sure, some plugins, like "Paint fire on the screen," and some of the animations are fun and look nice, but just waste time. However, things like "Scale," "Expo" and other plugins actually make working with multiple programs and windows much faster and easier. For example, I have a keybind set up so that when I enter "Scale" mode, I can right click on the thumbnail to close the program. So when I'm sitting in class, wasting time, and I have a dozen windows open, and all of a sudden the Professor decides to end class early, I just touch my mouse to the top-left corner, and right click on every window, and voila! I have closed every window in about 1.5 seconds.

conehead77
October 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
It makes me happy.
When i am happy i am more productive :)

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Well I disagree with a lot of people here. I think that Compiz-Fusion is a welcome enhancement to the desktop and it does contribute to the functionality of the system. Scale, expo, windows previews (the thumbnail on minimized), annotate plugin, combined with the screen edge mapping make me more productive IMO. There are other plugins that are just "flash" like wobbly windows and the cube (both of which I like :D) but many are really helpful to folks. To a certain degree I'd also say the eye candy is necessary in the face of OSX which has this functional desktop and does it very well, people just expect a certain level of flash and metacity alone doesn't really do it.
Totally agree

Mmm. drop shadows, fading menus, wobbly windows, transparency, :lol: