PDA

View Full Version : Windows comparisions

Foxmike
October 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Can someone explain me what all those comparisons with MS Windows are about?

Both OSes has GUI, with windowing system, but that's where the comparisons begins and ends as well. I've been a quite long MS Windows user (since 3.1) and I'm using Ubuntu (and Gentoo for a while) since 2 years now and I can't get where those two OSes compares, frankly. In any way.

Filesystem? Too different.

Windowing system? Quite different as well.

Programs/Start/etc menu? Might ressemble but the ones available on Linux are so customizable that they might be completly different as well (not just in the look but in the way user handles it as well).

Desktop management? Quite different as well. Event with compiz/beryl/whateverelse activated, compared with Vista there is too much difference to be truly comparable.

Applications? Well, if an application's author is willing to mimic an application available for MS Windows, well, I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the application is open source and freely (as in free speech) available and it works well. Why not?

So what is the point beneath all those statements of "K/X/Ubuntu is getting windowish"? I'm very curious!!!

Please, I do not want to start a flaming war here. I'm posting this by true curiosity about what people think about the subject, so friends, let's keep it friendly.

FranMichaels
October 14th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Good features are good features, regardless.
I think the problem arises when someone is "used to it" and the feature isn't here. Like you mentioned, the file system.

I like GUI tools, and as long as the command line stuff is there, guru's shouldn't complain. For example gdebi, can install a deb like an ordinary install, you can run it from command line, and it works from within it as well.

I love that!

Anyway, Windows, Mac, Amiga, etc. If the ideas are genuinely improvements, and make things more simple and fun... I say go for it!

It is a Free implementation as well, so it can be more dynamic, and always optional for those that don't want it!

:KS