PDA

View Full Version : What if Windows magically just gets better?

Sunnz
October 14th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Would you switch back to Windows?

If somehow MS made a version of Windows that is:
free as in beer
based on the Linux kernel
Merges Aero and Compiz-Fusion
stable - no crashing, not prone to virus
easier to use than Mac
faster then Gentoo
backward compatible with previous software

If you would switch back, why? Is it because of technically better?

If not, why not? Is it because of free as in freedom? Or MS is evil?

Lord Illidan
October 14th, 2007, 04:45 PM
free as in beer
easier to use than Mac
faster then Gentoo

Yeah, dream on :P

Actually, if they did all that, I'd guess they'd have to release a lot of the code, since they'll be using GPL licensed software.

And, if they did it, no, I don't think so. If they somehow do all you're saying, release it under GPL, and with no strings attached, either someone killed Ballmer, or else Microsoft is no longer Microsoft. You might as well say, that if Richard Stallman switches to Windows, would you use it?

Sunnz
October 14th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Well, they could release it under GPL, I doubt that would make them bankrupt overnight!!

FranMichaels
October 14th, 2007, 04:52 PM

free as in beer
easier to use than Mac
faster then Gentoo

1. It's price is $0, that's nice.
2. If so, they'd have to contribute changes back due to the GPLv2, so the Linux kernel itself would have any improvements.
3. Again, licensing would allow those changes to be made back to compiz-fusion.
4. Stable and not prone to viruses, sounds like Linux to me.
5. Easier than Mac? Does that depend on hardware selection or Desktop Environment? *Scratches head*
6. Did they use code from wine? Or actually made a piece of software compatible with all their API's?

Ultimately, it's about Freedom to me, I'm not even sure what advantages this product has... Easier interface + compatible with win32 binaries? That seems like a job for Desktop environment and wine. As for driver architecture, unless MS cleans up 3rd party code, there would still be instability and crashes I bet...

:confused:

corney91
October 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I think there should be an option to dual-boot it with Linux.
I chose yes just because there's no loss not to try it, as it's free.
Never going to happen though:)

p_quarles
October 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Well, they could release it under GPL, I doubt that would make them bankrupt overnight!!
If MS released Windows under the GPL, they would instantly have millions of angry, paying customers filing class action lawsuits.

argie
October 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
That sounds like an ideal system. Yes I would. The GPL means their code will have to be free, so people who know it will likely look through it in the hunt for ebil-stuff. So once a year or so passes and no ebil-stuff is found I will move. After all, it's just another Linux distro then, no?

1337455 10534
October 14th, 2007, 05:05 PM
If MS released Windows under the GPL, they would instantly have millions of angry, paying customers filing class action lawsuits.

LAWLZORRS!! I'm all for it then, win-win situation for me and the suckers who bought Vista (no offense, you should have just torrented it if you wanted to "try it out". I'm still all Linux.)

bigbrovar
October 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM
The Day that happens is the day that Nigeria would win the UEFA CUP!

Depressed Man
October 14th, 2007, 05:30 PM

free as in beer
easier to use than Mac
faster then Gentoo

Add on

- doesn't chew up RAM as badly
and.

-no reporting back to home/homeland/whatever

and you got it.

n3tfury
October 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
this has to be the worst poll ever. i'll continue using both OS's. i don't see that option.

vishzilla
October 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM

free as in beer
easier to use than Mac
faster then Gentoo

if they ever did this, I wouldn't trust them. it would be one of their elaborate schemes to woo the users in using their products.

Lord Illidan
October 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Hell would freeze over, or Finland would win the Eurovision:guitar:

FuturePilot
October 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM

free as in beer
easier to use than Mac
faster then Gentoo

Wouldn't that be Linux then?
If I were to switch back(which I don't see happening) Microsoft would have to change a lot more than that.

cogadh
October 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Not that this would ever happen, but if it did, as far as I am concerned, MS has already burned its bridges with me and there is no turning back. If I could get away with using Linux only right now, I would (got some apps/games that won't work in Linux or Wine).

urukrama
October 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
The question of your poll is confusing: you ask whether we would *not* switch back if Windows would get better. If I would switch I would have to answer 'no' to your question.

hessiess
October 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM
if its made my microsoft, i wont get it, simple

ticopelp
October 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
My imagination isn't that powerful, I'm afraid.

Billy_McBong
October 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM
i think if they did all that it sounds like it would just be another distro of Linux
i probably stick with Ubuntu though

P.S. your poll is confusing, i voted for the wrong answer

starcraft.man
October 14th, 2007, 07:06 PM
The kind of magic your implying simply doesn't exist. Windows is poor because of many of many things and almost all attribute to decisions in the management/process. Therefore, it's clear that most if not all of the things you mention won't happen, Windows isn't going to get better IMO from this point on.

DeadSuperHero
October 14th, 2007, 07:46 PM
If Microsoft released something that was built on top of Linux, functioned and looked like the Longhorn concept, was highly customizable, open source, and beautiful, then I would completely switch to it. It'd have backwards compatibility with all Linux and Windows apps, have DirectX11 and OpenGL4 support...that would be awesome.

sageb1
October 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Windows going open source would not prevent spambots and the countless hits on ALL your ip ports by bots trying to take over your computer so that it can help conquer the world while stealing your personal information.

Kymac
October 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I use Linux not because of the faults with Windows, but the fact that I believe in more competition. There shouldn't be just one Operating System, whether it's free or not.

General_Ts0
October 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Linux users love to hate Microsoft. It just comes with the territory. Honestly, I'm MS neutral. I love some apps like MS Project and Excel but in the past year I've spent with Ubuntu, it's the community that keeps me from reverting back(except for games, like us all). I only use Windows at work, but use Ubuntu @ home because I can and will continue, even if Windows "magically" gets better. There's just not the same community around it.

hardyn
October 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM
even if windows got better, it still lacks the linux GPL philosophy.

and for me its more about principal and learning something new, rather than having something 'just work'. I am a computer enthusiast, not just a user.

yorkie
October 14th, 2007, 09:12 PM
If Windows became free open source no doubt within a few weeks/months there would be about 10 different windows distros . So people would be busy installing windows all over the place .I wonder if Windows/Linux users would be calling Apple the big bad wolf?.

lyceum
October 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM
If Windows were to open the code, I don't care which kernel they use, Linux or their own, switch to the GPL, or similar licence etc so that when I paid for the OS I owned it, rather than borrowed it, I would dual boot. What I would love to see at that point though would be the alt distros based on the Windows format. Using Firefox for the GUI rather than IE, an Ubuntu flavour with the Windows kernel, odd things like that. That would be a new world to see.

:popcorn:

ShadowVlican
October 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
still using WinXP so i guess this poll doesn't apply to me ;)

1337455 10534
October 14th, 2007, 11:32 PM
ShadowVlican, and all others, we need to get past the immaturity of Win/*nix flame wars. The sterotypes about fanboys of this OS or that OS are getting ugly. Please, don't be offended if someone rags on XP, or on Gutsy... It's their opinion. As long as it doesn't get personal :) !

ericartman
October 14th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Would I switch back to windows? Nope, enjoying my time learning Linux. Simple as that. Besides question sounds to me, like if I was suddenly 8 foot tall would I try to play pro ball, sure, but me waking up in the morning 8 foot tall is as likely as Microsoft playing nice. Don't worry much about either one happening, ever.lol

Cart

happysmileman
October 14th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I chose no, but then I read some of the comments here and I don't think I fully understood... If it was fully open source I'd definitely get it, as long as it was under a GPL or GPL compatible license (which it would have to be if it was based on Linux Kernel and had Compiz-Fusion parts, it'd just be like a Linux distro with some non-free extras)

Since it'd be base don the linux kernel and compiz-fusion AND backwards-compatible it would follow that the WinAPI would have to be open source I think (to be used with Compiz-fusion parts) so Linux distros could then run Windows programs, so it WOULD be another Linux distro and I'd choose whichever worked best for me

euler_fan
October 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Honestly, I've learned to really like the "Linux way of doing business"--shell and all. I think I'd stay with Linux and wait for the MS stuff (as applicable) to be moved over an incorporated.

That and there's too much other stuff I use and like in terms of software for Linux for me to really care to go back to Windows and relearn it all again in the magic new windows. I already don't like the idea of XP going away in a few years before I buy my next machine (since I keep XP around for a few random things I've thus far been too lazy to get Ubuntu to do).

p_quarles
October 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Of course, the best part about this upcoming "open source" version of Windows is that it comes with a free side of pork wings, with your choice of dipping sauce. Rumor has it that Ballmer invited a sober Lindsey Lohan to preside over the release party.

wdo_will
October 15th, 2007, 01:24 AM
If Windows begins to use the GPL AND magically gets better, then I won't have a problem using it full-time. Until then... no.