PDA

View Full Version : How many of your "closest friends" use Linux/Ubuntu?

vishzilla
October 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM
How many of your "closest friends" use Linux/Ubuntu?

Edit: to be more flexible, it can include any friend you know

derekr44
October 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM
In the process of converting one...

Until his AC power adapter fried his laptop's mobo tonight

>.<

jrusso2
October 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
My online friends all use Linux or BSD. My real life friends are not technical and use mostly Windows or Mac's

misfitpierce
October 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM
5... soon 6 :)

conehead77
October 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
My girlfriend and her little brother. He so wanted the desktop effects and shows it to all his friends. Maybe i have to do some more installs soon...

bobbocanfly
October 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
1 currently uses LiveCD's for testing and recovery and is going to put Ubuntu 7.10 on one of his older computers when its out. One did use it before he bought Vista. He then deleted his partition and i had to go in there and save his MBR. Maybe a god thng hes not using Linux.

NilsHG
October 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
i know a couple of people in my university classes running ubuntu. from what i have heard with a lot less success as I am.
one guy complains his system locks up all the time, he cannot work with his ubuntu setup. : (
anyway i voted 4-6 by the ammount of people i know and work with. include 1 close friend, 1 brother and my gf. she will have a gutsy / xp dual boot on final release

andrewpmk
October 14th, 2007, 10:44 AM
My dad uses Ubuntu. (He was resistant to switch from Debian, but I convinced him to do so. He's used Debian for years. He was the one who introduced me to Linux.) Other than that, everyone else I know uses Windows or Macs.

helliewm
October 14th, 2007, 02:43 PM
A friend and colleague plus my teenage nephew wants to give it go. I think I shall buy him an external hard disc for xmas.

Helen

bionnaki
October 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM
computer nerds have friends? harhar

tdrusk
October 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I know of one person who uses Ubuntu. That's it.

thx11381974
October 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
None but moms getting a Dell for Christmas.

pondochris
October 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
No one I know uses linux. My friends refer to me as "a computer genious" for using ubuntu. I once net a man who used ubuntu as I was selling him a cell phone.

ynnhoj
October 14th, 2007, 11:30 PM
computer nerds have friends? harhar
occasionally!

one of my friends uses linux, and he's not very tech-oriented at all. everybody else is happy with windows, or has a mac.

Nymphadora
October 14th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I have a couple coworkers that have used it but other than that - I've just had a personal interest in trying it out for a while, I guess. Besides, one of my favorite things about it is the idea of confusing windows-users who get on my computer, lol!

happysmileman
October 14th, 2007, 11:48 PM
The poll question is "How many friends?" and the majority (including me) answered 0-3... We really are nerds

Oha nd to answer the question one of my friends tried on a really old PC but couldn't get CD to boot and didn't bother, and my g/f has Kubuntu on laptop I think, though she may have gotten rid off it since then

FuturePilot
October 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Sadly none....

smartboyathome
October 15th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Sadly none....

Same here. One is thinking of switching, but I am glad another isn't, he believes in the ways of the proprietary!

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Same here. One is thinking of switching, but I am glad another isn't, he believes in the ways of the proprietary!

Yep, I know a few people like that. One thinks that Vista is the best OS ever:roll:

wdo_will
October 15th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I've tried, but my number is still a magic zero, no matter how many times I show off Compiz-Fusion/Beryl.

wheredidrealitygo
October 15th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Two of my closest friends run it exclusively, I have given out 4 livecds to other friends to test and they like the livecds, and they're getting me to help them install it when they decide to take the plunge.

pluviosity
October 15th, 2007, 01:38 AM
I voted 4-6. I got 3 friends at college running *buntu, 1 who really likes it but has a rather large amount of Windows-only programs for class to use (he's an electrical and computer engineer), and 1 at home who uses it as a secondary OS to OSX, so that averages to be about 4 :)

Frak
October 15th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Computer Tech's are good to have as friends :)