PDA

View Full Version : I've come to a sad realization

-grubby
October 14th, 2007, 02:46 AM
my computer is considered old. Just look around. I can't believe how fast computers evolve. when I got my system it was considered "normal" ,now it's old. Pentium 4s aren't high end anymore, your no longer crazy if you have 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB hard drives aren't big anymore. This is in response to that (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575211) thread. I have the smallest hard drive(if you add people with multiple drives into one hard drive ) there! I'm sad now :(

zachtib
October 14th, 2007, 02:48 AM
my computer is considered old. Just look around. I can't believe how fast computers evolve. when I got my system it was considered "normal" ,now it's old. Pentium 4s aren't high end anymore, your no longer crazy if you have 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB hard drives aren't big anymore. This is in response to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575211 that thread. I have the smallest hard drive there! I'm sad now :(

it's ok... up until a couple years ago i was still on a 450mhz amd k6 with 256mb of ram...

course, now i'm on a core 2 duo with 2gb :D

picpak
October 14th, 2007, 03:07 AM
128MB RAM, 10GB hard drive, Pentium 3.

I'm here to make you all feel better.

starcraft.man
October 14th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Hey there, don't go knocking on P4s as old tech, they're awesome for Linux IMO. My ancient P4 IBM Netvista with a handful of minor upgrades (moved to 1GB of RAM and 6800 GT) does all I need. It handles all the graphical goodness of compiz-fusion with tonnes of candy turned on, handles both full XP Pro and Linux VMs in VMware/VBox (not at same time), does transcoding at a reasonable rate (around 2-3 hours depending on film) and allows me to do all the office work I need. Above all I've been gaming on it for years, albeit recently it's just not good enough so it's retired from gaming until I get a new pc...

Edit: Awesome picpak, I wish I hadn't scrapped my old P3 before finding Linux... I could have made a server out of it. I will be sure to preserve my IBM, it's top quality and now history since their gone. :)

rfruth
October 14th, 2007, 03:15 AM
typing this on a lowly 2.0 GHz P4 - Ubuntu runs fine ...

Earthwormzim
October 14th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I have the smallest hard drive(if you add people with multiple drives into one hard drive ) there! I'm sad now :(

It's OK...everyone knows that size doesn't matter! :lolflag:

Oh, and my main PC (my desktop pc) has an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 GHz processor, with 1.00 GB of RAM. I do, however, have 400 GB of HD space!

mindtrick
October 14th, 2007, 03:22 AM
They also get cheaper.

-grubby
October 14th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I mean maximum PC called their "zero point" pc (source: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/dream_machine_2007?page=0%2C2)

Our aging zero-point system consists of a dual-core Athlon 64 FX-60 with 2GB of DDR400 and a pair of Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX cards. look at that conifig! No, I'm not writing off Pentium 4s either, my system is fast enough to have all the flashy effects in Compiz-Fusion and still works just fine for me. Both of my PC configs are in my signature. I was thinking about upgrading my RAM

nickburns
October 14th, 2007, 03:28 AM
My fastest computer is less than a Gig, and the all my memory (three computers) taped together is less than 2 Gig. Works fine for me.

Nano Geek
October 14th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Core 2 Duo with 3 GB of RAM.

Eat that old timer!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

(jk:))

-grubby
October 14th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Core 2 Duo with 3 GB of RAM.

Eat that old timer!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

(jk:))

but I'm 14

Nano Geek
October 14th, 2007, 03:35 AM
but I'm 14OK then

Eat that young timer with a slow computer!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

How's that?

wdo_will
October 14th, 2007, 03:37 AM
P4s are great - until they fry your motherboard (my old laptop had a 3.0GHz P4 - thank God it was under warranty).

p_quarles
October 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM
but I'm 14
Well, that's the thing. You're just barely old enough to know how quickly this stuff moves forward. When I was 14, my dad shelled out something like $1400 for a 386 with 16 MB of RAM and something like a 200 MB hard drive (the exact specs escape me, but you get the point). Ran Windows 3.11 great.

Five years is forever in computer time. :)

southernman
October 14th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Five years is forever in computer time. :)

Computers and Dogs have something in common then. ;)

Cats and Computers on the other hand... don't. (Unless your a *nixer and your cat doesn't get short changed). XD

Sunflower1970
October 14th, 2007, 04:26 AM

lol. I'm typing this from a PII 400 MHZ 384 MB 15 GB nVidia GeForce3 Ti 500 computer. Running Xubuntu 7.10. Does just about everything I need it to. Even can run Compiz.

My other two "high-end" computers are P4's. Although it'd be nice to have a spiffy brand new computer at some point, the P4's (and the PII) do everything I need. So I can't justify buying anything new....for a few more years, at least....

izanbardprince
October 14th, 2007, 04:28 AM
my computer is considered old. Just look around. I can't believe how fast computers evolve. when I got my system it was considered "normal" ,now it's old. Pentium 4s aren't high end anymore, your no longer crazy if you have 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB hard drives aren't big anymore. This is in response to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575211 that thread. I have the smallest hard drive(if you add people with multiple drives into one hard drive ) there! I'm sad now :(

In 1990 I had an 80486 at 25 Megahertz, 8 megs of RAM, 100 meg hard disk, and DOS.

And it only cost $1600.

adamorjames
October 14th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I have a 100GB hd.... on my laptop
P.S. - I know where you got your avatar :)

wheredidrealitygo
October 14th, 2007, 04:34 AM
my production system is in my sig below, but for internet in another room i've got ~600mhz, 60 megs ram, 6 gig hdd craptop that must runs xp for lack of ethernet or wireless being picked up (by ubuntu, dsl, or puppy, haven't tried anything else).

Depressed Man
October 14th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Really depends on what you need. My Desktop has remained at 1 GB of RAM with an increasingly outdated graphics card for a while since I've stopped playing PC games (I orginally meant to up it to 2 GBs a while back).

Right now it does its job perfectly (server, tv, etc..). My laptop has 2 GBs of RAM, but for what I use it for, it's generally overkill (well unless I'm in Vista..then it somehow uses more then 1 GB of RAM running the exact same stuff I would run in my desktop's XP.

Kingsley
October 14th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Haha
When I was your age (4 years ago), my computer had a sticker that said Y2k Compliant. That should tell you how far behind my system was.

-grubby
October 14th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Haha
When I was your age (4 years ago), my computer had a sticker that said Y2k Compliant. That should tell you how far behind my system was.

that would make your computer (you have now) 3 years old

SunnyRabbiera
October 14th, 2007, 05:08 AM
well I have a older computer, but it seems pretty fine... the only thing I really want on her is more memory, not 100% in dual cores or super flashy stuff

rzrgenesys187
October 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM
my computer is considered old. Just look around. I can't believe how fast computers evolve. when I got my system it was considered "normal" ,now it's old. Pentium 4s aren't high end anymore, your no longer crazy if you have 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB hard drives aren't big anymore. This is in response to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575211 that thread. I have the smallest hard drive(if you add people with multiple drives into one hard drive ) there! I'm sad now :(

If you run vista you are crazy to have 1 GB of ram

The oldest computer running in my house still runs windows 3.1. 746MB hard drive 74 mHz i think

vishzilla
October 14th, 2007, 05:15 AM
P4 3 GiHz, 512MB. Currently happy with it

-grubby
October 14th, 2007, 05:17 AM
P.S. - I know where you got your avatar :)

The Halloween thread

Daishiman
October 14th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I have an Athlon XP 2100+ with 256 MB of RAM. Runs Ubuntu and XP fine.

Really, don't see why anyone doing daily computer tasks needs more than that unless they get into very specific applications. Even that may be overkill.

Bigdeath
October 14th, 2007, 05:20 AM
The computer I run ubuntu on is a p4 2.8mhz with 512 ram and 160gb hd with an nvidia 5900fx video card. I run a dual screen config and it runs like silk.

AndyCooll
October 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Hmmm ...we have a couple of laptops which we use everyday which have a 192mb of RAM in them (thats the max the motherboard runs on). PIII 700mb. And they both quite happily run the latest version of Ubuntu.

We do everything from surf the net, e-mails, listen to music, and general office purposes. Nothing that requires too much processing oomph. Indeed the fast box in the office is the machine used least, and if I do need to use it I still do so from the laptop via XDMCP or SSH depending on what I want to do.
It's simply because the laptops are more flexible, and the fact that the static box has more processing power isn't enough compensation.

:cool:

cmat
October 14th, 2007, 05:27 AM
My computer sucks bad. I really don't care much though since it runs what I need quickly.

jaygo
October 14th, 2007, 05:48 AM
for the record, XP uses upwards of 256MB before starting any apps these days. The updates they have released over the last year have really increased its appetite for memory, as I imagine the upcoming SP3 will do also.

I've been very happy with the memory management in (ubuntu) linux. With 2gb RAM in my XP box, it would use the hard drive (swap file) before using even half of my RAM. With the same machine in ubuntu, I've only once even dipped into my swap file (after filling up my physical memory).

As for the CPU, I found my Athlon XP 3000+ would max out too easily while using firefox -- mostly with flash-heavy sites -- so I finally upgraded to a core 2 duo.

Glad to hear so many ppl are getting by just fine on old, but good, hardware.

mjwood0
October 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Just upgraded to an AMD Athlon XP 4600+ (Dual core @ 2.4GHz / core) and 2 GB RAM. Cost under $200 for MB. Proc and RAM.

But I'm actually running onboard graphics. I really don't play games, but I needed something to run XP fast for work reasons. 2GB RAM seems necessary for Windows but under Ubuntu I hardly ever use the second gig.

HD Space is something else entirely as I'm a photographer on the side... my photos take up close to 300 GB at current (not on my linux box but on external firewire drives for my macbook). Good thing storage is cheap.

avik
October 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I have a nearly ten-year-old laptop that's less than 400MHz and has 128MB RAM. Granted, I run FreeBSD on it, not *buntu, but still, it's usable to the point that I take it on vacations. It's not slow at all until I start up GNOME, especially since I'm pretty comfortable with the command line.

DjBones
October 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM
well, people gotta have the cube right? ;)

K.Mandla
October 14th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Don't feel bad. I have three laptops at home -- 1Ghz 256Mb 60Gb+160Gb; 550Mhz 192Mb 20Gb; and 450Mhz 256Mb 5Gb. I'll buy a dual core when I see one in a thrift shop. :twisted:

maniac_X
October 14th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Don't sweat it. There's nothing wrong with using old hardware if it does what you need it to. You, like some of the rest of us, probably get the full value out of the hardware you buy.

I still use some old Western Dig. HDDs from '99. They are about 8.5GB and don't ask me what I paid for them compared to what you can get today for the same money or less...ROFL! I still have my old Atari computers out in the garage and I recently cleaned up my first PC(Compaq) from mid 90's and got it up and running with it's WHOPPING 1.2GB HDD. I'm going to see if I can get Damn Small Linux running on it.

We all don't have to be on the cutting edge of computer hardware. Let the hardcore enthusiast's that have wads of cash to blow do that. I'll gladly wait till prices are more reasonable. :)

Just for laughs, the Compaq is a Presario, 120Mhz Pentium, 8MB ram onboard the mobo, some onboard vid chip, 28.8 modem, and 1.2GB HDD. I have enough simms to upgrade it to 64MB(WOW! ROFL!) I can't find the S3Virge vid card I upgraded to...I think it was a whole 4MB.

Lord Illidan
October 14th, 2007, 08:31 AM
well, people gotta have the cube right? ;)

Exactly. So I always make sure I get a nice nvidia card :P

bonzodog
October 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Do you know, I have an AMD 64 3000+ with 1GB of Corsair DDR RAM, and an AGP 8x GeForce6200 256MB Graphics card, and this system is beginning to feel dated.
The Motherboard is an MSI nforce3 socket 754, no PCI-E, as I got it just weeks before the 939 sockets with PCI-E's were released.
It is still a very fast machine though, and plays Doom 3 without even thinking about it.
I must get another case fan though - that GeForce card gets very hot under load.

happy-and-lost
October 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Same here. My 1.7GHz Pentium M (P3) is so 5 years ago. And my 60GB hard drive? Can't even fit a set of photos on that now ;)

Boaslad
October 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Well, don't knock old machines, just yet. I have a 2.6 G CPU with a 40G hard drive and 500 Megs of RAM. I also have a 3.33G CPU with 520G of hard drive space and 1G of RAM on another box. I raced them against each other. The "big" box was running XP and the little one was using Ubuntu. On start up alone, the little computer was up and ready for use a good 30 seconds before the Windows machine was. Thats what convinced me to swap my "big" box over to Ubuntu. I still run dual boot, but that's only because i can't convince my family to let go of their supposed dependency on Mr. Bill's conundrum.

ronnielsen1
October 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM

I'm sorry - I had a big urge to send you more sdram. I hope you're not running gnome

Tristam Green
October 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I built my PC (Windows/Ubuntu) 5 years ago. It's a 1.1GHz AMD Athlon XP, with (at the time of build) 512MB RAM, 15GB HDD, and an nVidia GeForce MX400 PCI graphics.

I've since upgraded the memory (1GB), the hard drive (120GB not even close to full), the graphics (ATI ... x1300? AGP), but that's it really. And it works great for me.

bailout
October 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM
My desktop is an AMD Sempron (athlon XP with less cache) system which works fine and isn't that old until I tried to run Lightzone which displayed a message that it refused to run on such an old useless cpu :(

K.Mandla
October 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Closed for necromancing.