PDA

View Full Version : src doc in latex docs

nitro_n2o
October 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Hi all,
I want to put some src code in a latex document, does anybody have an idea about that?
I've downloaded the listings package and compiled it, but I don't know where to put the files (*.sty and *.cnf) in ubuntu. Still, if i leave it in the same dir with the *.tex I get many weired errors for only trying to use it

here is my code:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{listings}

\begin{document}

\lstinputlisting{code.c}

\end{document}

Thx

hod139
October 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
You can get the listings package by installing either
tetex-extra
or
texlive-latex-recommended

Depending on if you are using tetex or texlive (I suggest you use texlive over tetex)

Vox754
October 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Linux distributions come with command line utilities to manage paths to the files latex and friends use.

texconfig

Displays the configuration of the system.

You may use

kpsepath
kpsepath tex

to view the available paths.

In general, you would place new, downloaded packages in the relevant local trees.

TEXMFMAIN=/usr/share/texmf
TEXMFDIST=/usr/share/texmf-{texlive,tetex}
TEXMFLOCAL=/usr/local/share/texmf
TEXMFHOME=/home/user/texmf
TEXMF={/home/user/.texmf-config,/home/user/.texmf-var,/home/user/texmf,/etc/texmf,!!/var/lib/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf-{texlive,tetex}}

The {} and !! notation is somewhat special but it's explained in the manuals as a way to recursively search directories.
Those variables are not accessible from bash but are internal variables set for the "Kpathsea" search system.

If you want something quick I would suggest placing new packages in your own home folder.

In my case I needed a more recent version of the "subfig" package, and I also downloaded "lipsum", so I created the following structure

/home/user/texmf
/home/user/texmf/tex
/home/user/texmf/tex/latex/
/home/user/texmf/tex/latex/lipsum
/home/user/texmf/tex/latex/lipsum/lipsum.sty
/home/user/texmf/tex/latex/subfig
/home/user/texmf/tex/latex/subfig/subfig.sty

Whenever you add something new remember to update the database with "texconfig", which actually calls "mktexlsr".

Alternatively you can use the environmental variable TEXINPUTS to add other paths. It's specially useful to locate images.

TEXINPUTS=.:./eps:./png:

This variable is searched before anything else in the system.
In this example, it will search two directories and then the usual directories.
TEXINPUTS is just like PATH, if you modify it you may want to set it permanently in one of bash resource files, like "/home/user/.bashrc".

As final note, remember that teTex is no longer maintained so it is recommended to use Texlive from now on.
There is no huge difference between the two, just a few new utilities and slightly different structure.