PDA

View Full Version : Why are mockups always infinitely cooler than the end product?

Palmyra
October 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM
It doesn't really make a difference what we are talking about, but this rule almost always applies: mockups generally are infinitely cooler than the end product. This rule applies to hardware, software, Windows, Linux, and so on.

Since this is a Linux forum, I'll only focus on Linux. If you check out websites like www.gnome-look.org, you'll notice that there are some great mockups, and the same is true for KDE. But wait a minute...mockups almost never reflect the end product. In fact, you might say "Oh, okay" when you see the final release.

It's such a shame that we can't live up to the promising nature of mockups. They are fantastic, but they are never implemented. That is probably because mockups may give people the impression that implementation is easier than it really is. There is a lot more to software programming than using this or that tool in GIMP.

Here's my all time favorite Topaz mockup, by the way:

http://members.westnet.com.au/peter.lilburn/sl/tpz1.jpg

popch
October 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Could possibly be because the mockup has to impress other people than the final product, if any. Secondly, the mockup is done by entirely different people than the product.

Most drastic example: Potemkin's (SP?) villages: all mockup, no product.

Typical example: models of next generation cars, traditionally made of wood. The actual cars are not made of wood, I believe.

phrostbyte
October 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Because mockups are much easier to produce then actual products.

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM

yep. they don't have to work or function, they just have to look good.

rfruth
October 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM
one word marketing (you can engineer crap long as it sells its a success, OTOH engineer a marvelous whatever but if it won't sell its a failure) look at Windows :evil:

DeltaPHC
October 13th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Another great example of a mockup that never quite came to be:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y

blithen
October 13th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Haha look at this

1 definition found

From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

mock-up
n : full-scale working model of something built for study or
testing or display

What you mean is a mess-up.

On topic: I have never really seen I mess up work like it's suppose I don't care how good it looks. It actually HAS to do it's job.

ShadowVlican
October 14th, 2007, 10:58 PM
+1

engineers > architects