PDA

View Full Version : anyone else fear for compiz-fusion?

kevin11951
October 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
i love compiz fusion, it just looks great! but has anyone ever thought about microsoft? they steal from everone then can get. and if they stole little stuff from mac osx (which was hard because they had to write their own code). then what happens when they get hold of an open source project, like compiz-fusion?

Tomarows headline: "Microsoft's Newest Product: Microsoft Visuals" (or Microsoft Effects or something like that).

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM
so what you're saying is Vista + a compiz-fusion clone? lol, that's 4GB of RAM right there. really though, i don't care. let them.

phrostbyte
October 13th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Microsoft is a really slothy whale of a company right now. It will take Microsoft YEARS to challenge Compiz Fusion even though it would require relatively simple additions to their current technology.

Steveway
October 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Not really possible.
That is:
1. Illegal if they don't give the source back.
2. Not really doable because Windows doesn't have an Xserver and the whole architecture is complety different so porting would be near to impossible.

kevin11951
October 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM
so what you're saying is Vista + a compiz-fusion clone? lol, that's 4GB of RAM right there. really though, i don't care. let them.

no, what im saying is like a program, that you download and run. it will work on xp, and vista. what im worried about will be the future of compiz fusion, if that happened.

Ireclan
October 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
What the original poster is forgetting is that Microsoft will need to have their own implementation of Compize Fusion, since they don't want to mess with the GPL. I'm willing to bet their implementation would not be done as well, nor would they charge a reasonable price for it to become popular enough.

-grubby
October 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I think they'd be breaking the law because you have to release open source projects as open source...

kevin11951
October 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM
illegal? were talking about microsoft here! same goes for architecture issues.

phrostbyte
October 13th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Not really possible.
That is:
1. Illegal if they don't give the source back.
2. Not really doable because Windows doesn't have an Xserver and the whole architecture is complety different so porting would be near to impossible.

Well I don't they would do a direct port, seeing how Compiz Fusion leverges OpenGL and X as you said. Mostly they could write it ontop of their own Aero window manager, which does have the ability for fancy effects and what not (just doesn't do much right now).

ticopelp
October 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I don't see how it would affect Compiz Fusion in the slightest. So, no, I don't fear for it.

RAV TUX
October 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
i love compiz fusion, it just looks great! but has anyone ever thought about microsoft? they steal from everone then can get. and if they stole little stuff from mac osx (which was hard because they had to write their own code). then what happens when they get hold of an open source project, like compiz-fusion?

Tomarows headline: "Microsoft's Newest Product: Microsoft Visuals" (or Microsoft Effects or something like that).It's already done:

Deskspace (http://www.otakusoftware.com/deskspace/)

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
no, what im saying is like a program, that you download and run. it will work on xp, and vista. what im worried about will be the future of compiz fusion, if that happened.

there already is a program like compiz-fusion coming, but not by Microsoft. again, even if it was, it's nothing to worry about.

phrostbyte
October 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
It's already done:

RAV, that's basically just ONE of Compiz's like what? 50 plugins by now? :) It's even made by Microsoft either and it's shareware.

RAV TUX
October 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
It's already done:

there already is a program like compiz-fusion coming, but not by Microsoft. again, even if it was, it's nothing to worry about.

Again see my post above...It has been done for quite some time.

RAV TUX
October 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
RAV, that's basically just ONE of Compiz's like what? 50 plugins by now? :) It's even made by Microsoft either and it's shareware.

Give them time they will expand it...also Microsoft doesn't technically have to own it for it to be available.

phrostbyte
October 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Give them time they will expand it...also Microsoft doesn't technically have to own it for it to be available.

As you said, it's been out for awhile! Still no major change, it's still just a cube. :) But I see they got reflections going, and they look a bit nicer then Compiz Fusion reflections are by default. Uh oh, looks like some competition now. :popcorn:

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Again see my post above...It has been done for quite some time.

yep, that's the one, but i swore when i looked a few weeks ago it was still beta. again, doesn't matter.

raul_
October 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
and you have to pay for it. Sheesh

Steveway
October 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Ah, I know that.
Wasn't it called Yodm something?
Wow, they added nothing since last year, besides a pricetag.

RAV TUX
October 13th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Ah, I know that.
Wasn't it called Yodm something?
Wow, they added nothing since last year, besides a pricetag.

Yes;

Yod’m 3D v1.4 entrusted to OTAKU Software (http://www.chrisnsoft.com/2007/07/09/yodm-3d-confie-a-otaku-software/)

Yet anOther Desktop Manager 3D
Otaku Software has acquired Yod’m 3D from Chris’n'Soft and will continue to develop the software under the name DeskSpace.
So don’t ask for information or bug in this site but go to Otaku web site : Deskspace (http://www.otakusoftware.com/deskspace/) or the forum (http://www.otakusoftware.com/forums/index.php?c=7&sid=2ae8f5dd78cb7e31e9f73bf3134b5f40)
http://www.chrisnsoft.com/

conehead77
October 13th, 2007, 09:10 PM
It's already done:

* Buy a single license for only $19.95 USD

And only $599.95 for 50 licenses! I smell a bargain! :lolflag:

ticopelp
October 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I can't even imagine what kind of horsepower it must take to run that beast on Vista.

phrostbyte
October 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I am testing it right now, it takes 35,704 KB of RAM on WinXP. It takes a really large amount of the GPU's power it seems, since my GPU fan accelerates everytime I go into cube mode (doesn't happen on compiz). If you try to move windows between the workspaces there is some really weird stuff that happens, seems Windows chokes a little at the thought. You can't spin the cube vertically either, and there is very little options in general. The cube reflections do look nicer though. Overall though it's pretty useful, but it doesn't hold a candle to Compiz Fusion or even compiz in 2006. :)

phrostbyte
October 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Further examination shows that the "virtual desktop" feature works by collecting metadata on all the running windows hiding and showing all the running windows as appropriate depending on the given workspace. This process actually takes a noticeable amount of time when you switch between workspaces, especially if you have to hide and unhide dozens of windows to do the "switch". Does anyone know if Windows even really supports "true" virtual desktop functionality?

RageOfOrder
October 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I gave it a try when it was still called YodM3d and I wasn't impressed. Yes, the refelections look nice and they found some nice skydome wallpapers but the window switching was slow (no option to speed it up either), and there was no free-form rotation. No cube caps, and a there wasn't anything to change the key bindings.

On that note.. you need yet another program to get a pager and virtual desktops (MS supplies this for free as part of the PowerToys collection) but I'm not sure if they play nicely together with this DeskSpace app.

Fail much?

capink
October 14th, 2007, 12:28 AM
What the original poster is forgetting is that Microsoft will need to have their own implementation of Compize Fusion, since they don't want to mess with the GPL. I'm willing to bet their implementation would not be done as well, nor would they charge a reasonable price for it to become popular enough.

I always wonder how can we be sure that microsoft or any other proprietary software does not steal form gpl software. Since their software is closed source, how can we check whether they use gpl code?

slimdog360
October 14th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I think they should stop trying to build more plugins for it and work on the base, making it unbreakable.

kevin11951
October 14th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I think they should stop trying to build more plugins for it and work on the base, making it unbreakable.

What?

kevin11951
October 14th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I always wonder how can we be sure that microsoft or any other proprietary software does not steal form gpl software. Since their software is closed source, how can we check whether they use gpl code?

exactly! thank you!

RAV TUX
October 14th, 2007, 01:11 AM
exactly! thank you!

Sounds like an awesome court case! what are those guys hiding!

slimdog360
October 14th, 2007, 01:13 AM
What?

I think you should change your sig.

betweenthetines
October 14th, 2007, 02:55 AM
It's already done:

Wow, that doesn't look like it has even a fraction of the usefulness or versatility I can get from compiz-fusion...and it costs $20 too!

RAV TUX
October 14th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Wow, that doesn't look like it has even a fraction of the usefulness or versatility I can get from compiz-fusion...and it costs $20 too!pretty sad...it used to be free

Nice avatar btw

darklemming54
October 14th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Tomarows headline: "Microsoft's Newest Product: Microsoft Visuals" (or Microsoft Effects or something like that).

Microsoft steals from everyone? What are you referring to?

Microsoft can't legally "steal" anything from anyone if the license doesn't allow it.

tehhaxorr
October 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Selling an inferior version of what we get for free....

Yeah, stiff competition....

tehhaxorr
October 14th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Yes;

http://www.chrisnsoft.com/
Selling an inferior version of what we get for free....

Yeah, stiff competition....

DjBones
October 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM
there is already a port of 'the cube' for windows..
most likely hacked out of compiz and somehow forked.
called DeskSpace (http://www.otakusoftware.com/deskspace/index.html)
surely a windows original.

[well. thats actually been posted a few times lol.
although, i do wish compiz would incorporate more useful features from WM's like flux/open-box.
If compiz could expand just a bit more with a menu and/or panel then im sure you could free up some memory by not having to run it over gnome/kde/xfce whatever..]

happy-and-lost
October 14th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Compiz Fusion will run fast and smooth on machines too low spec to even consider installing Vista on.

I really wouldn't worry.