PDA

View Full Version : Would it be illegal if...

blithen
October 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM
If I put an ad in the paper, for somthing like a windows alertnative, and then if I installed Ubuntu on the person computer, and supported them for like a year. Basically if I put linux on their computer, then have them pay me for it, is it illegal?

FuturePilot
October 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as you make it clear exactly what you are doing, and that it is Linux and not Windows and they know that it will not act like Windows and that some of their software will not work in Linux. Or else they might sue you for false advertising.:shock:

blithen
October 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as you make it clear exactly what you are doing, and that it is Linux and not Windows and they know that it will not act like Windows and that some of their software will not work in Linux. Or else they might sue you for false advertising.:shock:

w00t. Thanks Pilot!

The reason I thought it might be wrong is I'm making money off something someone else made, I didn't know if that was bad or not.

FuturePilot
October 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Well, they would be more or less paying for the support you would provide, not necessarily for the OS. But that doesn't really matter because the GPL even states that you could sell anything licensed under the GPL.

Anyways, sounds like a good idea. :)

sailor2001
October 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
who knows? maybe even a beautiful blond will give you a kiss for doing it and leading her into a life she never knew existed before......

FuturePilot
October 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM
who knows? maybe even a beautiful blond will give you a kiss for doing it and leading her into a life she never knew existed before......

One could only hope:lolflag:

phrostbyte
October 13th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Yes! That is perfectly legal and a really good idea at that! Let us know how it turns out for you. :)

blithen
October 13th, 2007, 07:36 PM
:D! Thanks for the feedback. Though I think I will use Gusty Gibbon instead of Fiesty fawn. So that means waiting awhile. But still, It will happen!

Pekkalainen
October 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
It is of course not forbidden according to the GPL. It is what the GPL is all about: making the OS market a free market. I would do it myself if I lived in a bigger town.

ventvent
October 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Don't see an issue with it as their really paying you to support them. That can be the part that eats up all your time.

p_quarles
October 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Like everyone's already said, it's perfectly legal to charge for installation and technical support. The only thing I would be concerned about is the terms of the deal. You know, just be careful not to promise more than you can do, and not to take on any liability should anything go wrong.

Namtabmai
October 13th, 2007, 08:19 PM
While your effort is applaudable, please think carefully about exactly how you go about this.

For example will you offer a flat fee year support, or per-problem pay scheme? What problems will cover and not cover? Either way you might find the the time you spend dealing with problems soon out weight the amount of money you are making.
And what about when you can't fix a problem?

Let's take a few examples that I as a long time Linux user know are still problems;
1) My wireless connection stops after a few hours only on a reboot will fix it. See http://madwifi.org/ticket/1017
2) My USB webcam doesn't work (there are no drivers for it)
3) My MP3 doesn't work (old creative job that doesn't have a Linux driver/software for it, even gnomad doesn't work)
4) Word documents from my friends/colleges don't display correctly.

These are some of the sorts of problems you won't be able to solve, and you'll need to an agreement (preferably written) with the client to this effect.