PDA

View Full Version : automatix on gutsy

andriusm
October 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
when will automatix be ready for gutsy?

bonsiware
October 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
you will not need automatix on gutsy!

- you can install ubuntu-restricted-extras for codecs etc...

- you can install restricted drivers from system-->administration-->restricted drivers manager (or something like...)...

- you can use medibuntu repositories for w32codecs, adobe reader 8.1, libdvdcss2, skype, google-earth, etc...

and so on...

qamelian
October 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Since Automatix is not supported by Ubuntu, you would be better off asking on the Automatix forums. Or, even better, learn to install things correctly without it.

i22yb
October 15th, 2007, 09:13 AM
http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1558

I suspect they will be posting the new version any day.

FredB
October 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM
What is the interest of automatix anyway with all the meta packages ?

Automatix can die and it is a good thing. Just look at the problem related to automatix on this forum...

misfitpierce
October 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Since Automatix is not supported by Ubuntu, you would be better off asking on the Automatix forums. Or, even better, learn to install things correctly without it.

Not 100% true... I believe I read Ubuntu was working closely with automatix to improve ubuntu and automatix... This is what I believe I read.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/automatix-ubuntu-team-collaboration

Not sure though. Also note that some people dont just install it for codecs or because they dont know how... It just makes everything simpler and it nice. I know how to set everything up and I still like automatix. :)

FredB
October 15th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Well, automatix will be useless with automatic installation of codecs when launching an unknown format file with totem.

misfitpierce
October 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Not sure though. Also note that some people dont just install it for codecs or because they dont know how...

Ima go ahead and quote myself... Automatix does not just auto install codecs. It can install a lot of program from one place sort like CNR but CNR sucks. Fonts, programs, codecs, virtualization and so on. :)

kitterma
October 16th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Not 100% true... I believe I read Ubuntu was working closely with automatix to improve ubuntu and automatix... This is what I believe I read.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/automatix-ubuntu-team-collaboration

Not sure though. Also note that some people dont just install it for codecs or because they dont know how... It just makes everything simpler and it nice. I know how to set everything up and I still like automatix. :)

That was written by an Automatix person and no one (AFAIK) has signed up for it.

So far:

1. I got some things that Automatix has been providing added to Gutsy.

2. Automatix says they've corrected the technical issues from mjg59's review and posted the code. I don't know if anyone has done a complete analysis of this (it's at least better from the limited review I've done).

Automatix is definitely not part of Ubuntu.

misfitpierce
October 16th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I was not assuming it was a part of ubuntu officially. Thought by that it just meant you guys were working and collaborating together.

autocrosser
October 16th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Personally---if automatix just went away---Ubuntu & the Linux community in general would be MUCH better for it--I know that it "was" to fill a void in the distro, but it's time is WELL past & I for one will not morn it's passing-------

Kilz
October 16th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Ima go ahead and quote myself... Automatix does not just auto install codecs. It can install a lot of program from one place sort like CNR but CNR sucks. Fonts, programs, codecs, virtualization and so on. :)

New users are infinity better off learning the simple act of installing software with synaptic, or downloading and using gdebi. That way if something does go wrong they have possibly learned some skills that will be useful. They learn 0 from watching automatix fly by and see little if any errors , that is until its done.

FredB
October 16th, 2007, 05:58 AM
New users are infinity better off learning the simple act of installing software with synaptic, or downloading and using gdebi. That way if something does go wrong they have possibly learned some skills that will be useful. They learn 0 from watching automatix fly by and see little if any errors , that is until its done.
It will better and safer than using a crappy tool like automatix. How many threads related to automatix problems on this forum ? ;)

Too many I will say. And as ubuntu coders are making great automatic installer, why not using them ?

misfitpierce
October 16th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I learned and used automatix. I got gutsy up and going without it but still like the convenience of having a all in 1 graphical install program for fonts and app/etc.

FredB
October 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I learned and used automatix. I got gutsy up and going without it but still like the convenience of having a all in 1 graphical install program for fonts and app/etc.

I understand. But using ubuntu-restricted-extras kills a lot of automatix features...

LucasLinard
October 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM
yes it does.
However, some thing I miss. For example, install swiftfox 32 bit with plugins. I could'nt find a GOOD howto....

pdlethbridge
October 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
the latest automatix for gutsy is out. It is severely trimmed from what it was before in feisty. I downloaded and installed it so I could get the new 8. adobe, fonts and google earth. It works well with gutsy.

PriceChild
October 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577926