PDA

View Full Version : Linux marketing

cjnkns
October 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I found this article/blog (everyone has probably already seen it) I just thought I would share with those who have not ready it.

It was a very interesting article and they writer really hits the nail on the head i think..

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3304051309.html

I especially agree about the last part of the article

Support from major PC vendors is what Linux desktop needs to get noticed by the millions who shop for new PCs. Right now, its broader market exposure is close to zero, and the Linux community has to shoulder part of the burden for this. If some of the developers had combined their resources to produce and market a single desktop product, Linux would be ready to steal serious market share from Microsoft and Apple.

I realize that the distros out there are all about choice and freedom but hopefully other pc manufactures don't contribute to the problem. Let's work on one linux desktop pour our energy into it and make it great. Give it all the tools it needs to beat the other big OS's on the market!

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM
good article, but this is absolute rubbish:

Office 2007 is another big ticket upgrade, and the full combo demands twin overhead Intel cores, 2gb of RAM, 15gb of disk space and a fancy graphics card to work well. That's an expensive hardware upgrade, just to accommodate a couple of seriously obese passengers.

i'm on an AMD 1600+ and was using Office 2k7 before my upgrade from 1GB to 2GB. of course it runs a bit faster with an extra gig, but guess what? so does OO.

Ireclan
October 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
In my opinion, PC vendors aren't supporting Linux because there just isn't enough people using it. I don't think too many distributions are the problem.