PDA

View Full Version : Canonical should change the name, "Ubuntu"!!!

icett
October 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I think Canonical should change this distribution's name from "Ubuntu" to something feeling more modern. The name "Ubuntu" feels ancient, tribal and primitive. The name should feel like belonging to the modern world as well as the look of the distro's forums and other things. This distro has the potential to become the third largest most used OS in the world alongside "Windows" and "Mac" and may surpass even these two if with a name change comes more efforts to port all PC games and other very useful softwares to it including all codecs as well. It should become a little more commerical while remaining opensource.:)

stijngysemans
October 12th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I think Ubuntu is just perfect!
Maybe in the future people won't notice they are running a linux OS on their pc.
"are you running linux?"
"no i'm running Ubuntu"
:lolflag:

Steveway
October 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Won't happen.
Do you even know what Ubuntu means?
It is an african word meaning something along the lines of "Humanity to others" or "I am what I am because of what we all are".
This is the Spirit of Ubuntu and the reason for it's name.
Including those codecs is illegal in some countrys ( I know of only America, it's legal in most other countries.)
Games can only be ported by the developers of the games not by us, so got to them.
Did you even think about these things before you posted? Doesn't sound so.

reyfer
October 12th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I have only this to say: the moment YOU make a distro, YOU give it any name you want. I personally like Ubuntu and the philosophy behind the name.

ticopelp
October 12th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Meh. I think there are plenty of other distros out there that have gone that route. Mandriva, for instance. A slick word that means nothing at all. Hard to get much more commercial than that.

I don't think a name change is a very good way to increase mindshare, either. It would just squander all the press Ubuntu has gotten so far. Remember when Palm became Palm One? Yeah, me neither.

FurryNemesis
October 12th, 2007, 11:24 PM
It should stay the same. Why? Because you can twist it around any way you like to describe new stuff. E.g:

Obsessed User: Ubunutter
Gutsy: Newbuntu
Hoary: Legacybuntu
A system error: Ubunteh?
POP3 client: Mailbuntu!
Browsers: Webuntu
KDE: Bluebuntu!
Killing X, again, because you decided to tweak something you shouldn't have without knowing the right values: Ubuntaaargh...
Explosive Hardware failure: Uboomtu!

It stays fresh, see what I mean?

rsambuca
October 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I think this has to be the most absurd thread I have ever seen. Obviously coming from an English only speaking individual who has no experience of the outside world. I suggest you travel the world and experience other things outside of your comfort zone. You may be surprised and find that the world is not just "ancient, tribal, and primitive".

MickS
October 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I think this has to be the most absurd thread I have ever seen. Obviously coming from an English only speaking individual who has no experience of the outside world. I suggest you travel the world and experience other things outside of your comfort zone. You may be surprised and find that the world is not just "ancient, tribal, and primitive".

I only speak English and I haven't travelled the world but I think the names great.
Don't change it or even think about changing it.

Mick

Phil Airtime
October 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I suggest you travel the world

...because everyone has piles of cash lying around to go swanning off, emitting oodles of CO2 as they go "finding themselves" in Thailand...

fuscia
October 12th, 2007, 11:36 PM
i like the distro and i like what the word really means, but the sound of the word, itself, is just goofy. small issue, but i good do without it.

ticopelp
October 12th, 2007, 11:37 PM
...because everyone has piles of cash lying around to go swanning off, emitting oodles of CO2 as they go "finding themselves" in Thailand...

Heh. Sweeping generalizations FTW?

icett
October 12th, 2007, 11:47 PM
For the sake of the philosophy "care for humanity" the name could be changed to "Concern". "Concern" OS!, looks great. As for the games they could be ported with the consent of the developers under agreement and sold by Canonical to the users and codecs could also be added. A little commercialization of the OS would sove all these problems and put the OS at the forefront.:)

Taino
October 12th, 2007, 11:50 PM
What kind of name is "WIndows" ??

There are "Windows" on my house sometimes they work sometimes they dont, Sometimes they get stuck (old house and all) and they seize up, freeze open and you have to force them to close down.

If the "Window" OS name was supposed to reflect the problems an old window in an old house can give you than its name reflects it very well, but other than that the "WIndows" name has very little meaning.

The Ubuntu name has alot of real meaning behind it and its meaning fits the concepts the distro stands for pretty well.

:popcorn:

ticopelp
October 12th, 2007, 11:51 PM
For the sake of the philosophy "care for humanity" the name could be changed to "Concern". "Concern" OS!, looks great. As for the games they could be ported with the consent of the developers under agreement and sold by Canonical to the users and codecs could also be added. A little commercialization of the OS would sove all these problems and put the OS at the forefront.:)

Yuck. Not only is that a terrible name, but you're just taking the concept of Ubuntu and suggesting we refer to it by a blander, more Westernized term. I really don't see the point of that.

-grubby
October 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM
who cares....?
I like the name Ubuntu

frup
October 12th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Concern is the most idiotic name of a distribution I have ever heard.

danny joe ritchie
October 13th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Ubuntu works for me! I wouldn't even think of changing it!

p_quarles
October 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Yuck. Not only is that a terrible name, but you're just taking the concept of Ubuntu and suggesting we refer to it by a blander, more Westernized term. I really don't see the point of that.
"Concern" doesn't mean anything close to "Ubuntu," though (I'm agreeing with you here, btw) -- I mean, in one sense it might mean something like "sympathy," but in a very patronizing way. Another meaning of "concern" is "worry." Better name for a board game than for an OS.

I think Ubuntu is a great name. The meaning of the word -- generosity and hospitality among equals -- is something I very much believe in, and I also like the word precisely because it doesn't sound like some marketing gimmick that a focus group thought sounded "technological."

smartboyathome
October 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM
As for the games they could be ported with the consent of the developers under agreement and sold by Canonical to the users and codecs could also be added. A little commercialization of the OS would sove all these problems and put the OS at the forefront.:)

That won't be likely any time soon, and the codecs will never make it into Ubuntu due to licensing.

Dimitriid
October 13th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Well good, most of us disagree and like the Ubuntu name. Now can you all stop bitting his head off just for stating an honest opinion? Some of the replies on this thread are really uncalled for and dare I say violation of forum rules by personally insulting and attacking somebody just for not agreeing with your views on Ubuntu: In case you wonder, many people think its a stupid sounding name and thats fine.

Seriously how about less time with condescending explaining of the word "Ubuntu" and more time actually adhering to some of the meaning instead of ganging up on new users?

kingofpain
October 13th, 2007, 12:31 AM
i like the distro and i like what the word really means, but the sound of the word, itself, is just goofy.
Agree with you.

And well said, Dimitriid! =D>

init1
October 13th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Mandriva, for instance. A slick word that means nothing at all.
Mepis too :D

Personally, I think Ubuntu is perfect name. It's distinct and original.

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I think Canonical should change this distribution's name from "Ubuntu" to something feeling more modern. The name "Ubuntu" feels ancient, tribal and primitive. The name should feel like belonging to the modern world as well as the look of the distro's forums and other things. This distro has the potential to become the third largest most used OS in the world alongside "Windows" and "Mac" and may surpass even these two if with a name change comes more efforts to port all PC games and other very useful softwares to it including all codecs as well. It should become a little more commerical while remaining opensource.:)

send this rant crap to the backyard where it belongs.

Ireclan
October 13th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I disagree with the original poster. Ubuntu is just fine. It expresses what I feel is a noble sentiment that this world could use more of. What's wrong with Ubuntu sounding "tribal" and "ancient"? It is as if the original poster does not think we could learn anything from tribes or the past. And I resolutely refuse the original poster's accusation that Ubuntu is "primitive". On the contrary, I would call the concepts Ubuntu represents a part of the next step in human evolution.

Besides not making any ideological sense, the original poster's proposal makes very little strategic sense. Ubuntu would have little to gain and much to lose in the form of brand identity loss were a name change to be initiated.

Overall, the original poster's proposal seems poorly thought out and in any case infeasible.

perlluver
October 13th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I was having fun last night trying to explain to Verizon that I was running Kubuntu Linux, they said is that Windows, I said no I hate Microsoft, and maybe you guys should consider supporting it, because there are already over 400,000 users, and I am trying to get more people to use it.

Would love to see Ubuntu and it's Distros, more widespread. I came from Windows Server 2008 beta, and had more Blue Screens Of Death than I care to count. Haven't had any major problems with Kubuntu yet. I also agree I like the name, Ubuntu "Humanity to Others" that is all I have got since I have switched, thanks to all you guys.

Wish I knew more about GNU/Linux, so I could help more people. But I am learning alot from everybody here, and hope I can pass it on.

RAV TUX
October 13th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Your request and dreams have been answered, welcome to the world of:

Xubuntu!

steveneddy
October 13th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Funny - I started using Ubuntu just because of the name. I think it's cool sounding and I like the way it feels to say, "Ubuntu."

:popcorn:

steveneddy
October 13th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Your request and dreams have been answered, welcome to the world of:

Xubuntu!

Argh - now there's a crappy name.

Oh - hi RAV......

:)

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM
What kind of name is "WIndows" ??

i hope you're joking.

and fwiw, Ubuntu does sound a bit silly, especially when spoken, but it means something, so i let it slide.

LOL @ "concern". no marketing job for you.

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I came from Windows Server 2008 beta, and had more Blue Screens Of Death than I care to count.

wow BSOD's in a beta product? unimaginable. and you "came from it"? that was your desktop OS?

p_quarles
October 13th, 2007, 02:59 AM
wow BSOD's in a beta product? unimaginable. and you "came from it"? that was your desktop OS?
http://members.aol.com/shobansen/stamp2.html

jimrz
October 13th, 2007, 03:23 AM

<stunned silence>

EDIT: Momma taught me "if you have nothing good to say ... say nothing"

macogw
October 13th, 2007, 03:33 AM
I think Ubuntu is just perfect!
Maybe in the future people won't notice they are running a linux OS on their pc.
"are you running linux?"
"no i'm running Ubuntu"
:lolflag:

Are you running Unix? No, I'm using a Mac.

n3tfury
October 13th, 2007, 03:49 AM
http://members.aol.com/shobansen/stamp2.html

http://www.fordogtrainers.com/ProductImages/pictures/dog-leash/leather-dog-leash/leather-dog-leash-stitched/leather-dog-leash-stitched.jpg

vishzilla
October 13th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I think Ubuntu is unique. People who dont know about Linux hear the word "Ubuntu" they are intrigued on hearing the word "Ubuntu" and they are more drawn into it. Its named rightly, has a strong essence in its African roots.

FuturePilot
October 13th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I like the name. It has a lot of symbolism behind it. It's more than a name, the meaning is what Ubuntu is all about. "Humanity towards others"

perlluver
October 13th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Yes I was using Server 2008 as my desktop, pretty much the same as Vista. Must say it was slow, as was Vista. I used XP for years, but I must say I love Kubuntu. The best system I ever used.

EdThaSlayer
October 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM
The name is unique. I really like it.

kingofpain
October 13th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Momma taught me "if you have nothing good to say ... say nothing"
And I think you should listen to her!