PDA

View Full Version : And now for the Stooooopid award--

autocrosser
August 16th, 2005, 02:46 PM
And now for the Stooooopid Award---It seems that a lawsuit in in a Russian court involves NASA & the Temple probe impact--Take a look at this!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4649987.stm

Seems people will do anything for money---

jeremy
August 16th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Well, sorry, but I don't think it is stupid at all, probably won't win, but she is absolutely right in that the collision could affect the comets course, and that (very low odds here) it could even cause a collision with earth.

Children shouldn't play with matches!

TristanMike
August 16th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Well, sorry, but I don't think it is stupid at all, probably won't win, but she is absolutely right in that the collision could affect the comets course, and that (very low odds here) it could even cause a collision with earth.
Children shouldn't play with matches!Oh, come on, are you serious that this is not stupid. The point of the article wasn't that the probe might redirect some comet and blow us away in "X" number of years, the point was that this dumb ass broad is suing NASA for
So Ms Marina's claims to be experiencing "a moral trauma" - which only a payment of $300m (252m euros; £170m) can put right."MORAL TRAUMA"?????? Come on, I've never heard something so foolish in my life. If she wins, then what's to say that ALL of us aren't experiencing "a moral trauma" over this. Can I sue BBC for putting this story out, cause now I'm getting angry and I feel I'm suffering a "moral truama" now finding out how STUPID some people can be? It's not my fault, but there it is.

Kvark
August 16th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Children shouldn't play with matches!
The comet's speed was slowed down by 0.0001 millimetres per second from what I heard, yeah that huge slowdown can absolutely alter the course so it hits earth... Get real, a comet weights many billions of tons and that probe weighted 370kg.

Jupiter has altered the course of this particular comet several times, so much that astronomers completely lost track of it. The effects of Jupiter's gravity could maybe send the comet anywhere but a tiny probe can't cause any noticeable change. She should sue Jupiter instead.

jeremy
September 24th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Sorry I took so long to reply.

The point that I was very seriously trying to make is that CHILDREN SHOULD NOT PLAY WITH MATCHES.
that goes for kids and fire as well as NASA and comets.

BoyOfDestiny
September 24th, 2005, 09:54 AM
SIgh, sadly that is not the dumbest lawsuit the earth has to offer.

It is right here:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/1975/26.html

Summary: Suing a university library for "authorizing" copyright infringement...

How? Having a photocopier in the same room as the books.

Shame!

Ubunted
September 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Sorry I took so long to reply.

The point that I was very seriously trying to make is that CHILDREN SHOULD NOT PLAY WITH MATCHES.
that goes for kids and fire as well as NASA and comets.

NASA clearly had a much better idea than you did of what the impact would do to the comet's trajectory. I don't believe you should be the one dispensing advice to them, no offense.

To put it in perspective, firing that probe at the asteroid and worrying about a collision with Earth would be something like firing a bullet at a three-mile long freight train chugging along at top speed and worrying about derailment.

weasel fierce
September 24th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Well, if she is getting the money on behalf of humanity, then I'd like my share, thank you.