PDA

View Full Version : Finally, no more sluggishness!

Mazza558
October 11th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I just decided to try Xfce instead of gnome, and what a world of difference! No more lag when switching tabs in Firefox, compiz fusion runs smoothly, 3D applications actually run well, programs load within a second of clicking... My PC is no slouch, but Xfce as actually as fast a XP for me now! Yay :)

-grubby
October 11th, 2007, 11:55 PM
GNOME also seems to run slow on my computer for some reason....XFCE is blazing fast!

kadath
October 12th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Xfce is what GNOME should've been: Fast, modular, customizable and mostly devoid of the "users are ignorant" mentality GNOME tends to have.

HermanAB
October 12th, 2007, 04:52 AM
I use XFCE or IceWM, with the file manager Konqueror from KDE. That gives me the best of both worlds: An immensely powerful file/ftp/smb/sftp/fish/ldap browser (it even does http too...) and blazing speed.

The window managers of both KDE and Gnome are absolutely atrociously slow and should be expunged (an ordinary delete is to kindly).

RAV TUX
October 12th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I just decided to try Xfce instead of gnome, and what a world of difference! No more lag when switching tabs in Firefox, compiz fusion runs smoothly, 3D applications actually run well, programs load within a second of clicking... My PC is no slouch, but Xfce as actually as fast a XP for me now! Yay :)

If you want even more speed and efficiency try e17 in Xubuntu.

nismoskys
October 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I tried searching the forums .. How can i install Xfce on my regular Ubuntu? is it as easy as sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop?

-grubby
October 30th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I tried searching the forums .. How can i install Xfce on my regular Ubuntu? is it as easy as sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop?

yes it is!