PDA

View Full Version : Any news about Adobe and Linux?!?

Toxic-Waste
October 11th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Hey guys? How are you all doing? I am just posting to ask if anybody has any news concerning Adobe and its plans with the Linux platform.

Many thanks
Stay cool and have a nice day!

blithen
October 11th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Don't hold me to this, but if I remember reading a thread in here(or maybe it was demonoid:confused:) but they were talking about Adobe and linux and I think they said Adobe isn't going to be making linux ports.
:(

Toxic-Waste
October 11th, 2007, 10:55 PM
That sucks... I know that people (Linux beings) keep on discussing this issue, I just thought I would check and see if there were any updates.
Well if anybody else listens to something, give us a yell!
Thanks!

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Adobe is still releasing up-to-date releases for Linux. I don't see that changing in the near future.

DeadSuperHero
October 11th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, kind of a bummer...
On the other hand, the latest version of GIMP is insanely easy to use, and I'm starting to like it more than I ever liked Photoshop, so maybe you should give the new GIMP a try?

perce
October 11th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah, kind of a bummer...
On the other hand, the latest version of GIMP is insanely easy to use, and I'm starting to like it more than I ever liked Photoshop, so maybe you should give the new GIMP a try?

When will it be in the repositories? last time I tried the GIMP I had to read the manual to resize a picture - that was insane!

Lord Illidan
October 11th, 2007, 11:57 PM
When we refer to Adobe products not being ready for Linux, do we mean Photoshop or Reader? I find that the newest Evince is just as good as Adobe Reader in most areas, and is faster.

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 11:59 PM
When will it be in the repositories? last time I tried the GIMP I had to read the manual to resize a picture - that was insane!
Its preinstalled on Gutsy. You'll have to wait for a backport or package it yourself on Feisty.

kadath
October 12th, 2007, 04:04 AM
When we refer to Adobe products not being ready for Linux, do we mean Photoshop or Reader? I find that the newest Evince is just as good as photoshop in most areas, and is faster.

Uh, Evince is for reading PDFs. I'm pretty sure you meant "just as good as Reader" though ;)

Anyway, Adobe won't be releasing any of their creative software on Linux anytime soon. As it is, the only reason they support OS X is because of its reputation for being popular with artsy types. If I remember correctly, Photoshop sales are about 75% Windows and 25% OS X. Taking into account the low number of desktop Linux users, and the even lower number of people among those users that would actually buy Photoshop, it makes perfect sense that they're not even entertaining the idea of a Linux port. Sad, but true.

So all we can hope for is that WINE will improve its Photoshop support with each release, or that maybe GIMP will somehow make drastic improvements in the near future. There's also Pixel (http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/), which is neither open source or free, but it's much closer to being able to compete with Photoshop than GIMP currently is. Development on it is still pretty slow however.

phrostbyte
October 12th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash are out for Linux at the same level as the Windows versions, that's about it (cept for some IDEs)

perce
October 12th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Its preinstalled on Gutsy. You'll have to wait for a backport or package it yourself on Feisty.

Well, I can wait till next week...

kadath
October 12th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Well, I can wait till next week...

If you really want to try it, the pollyrepo has it available:

deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/pollyrepo feisty/
deb-src http://download.tuxfamily.org/pollyrepo feisty/

I installed it from there and it runs flawlessly.

Insightfill
October 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Last I checked, support for Flash on Linux-PPC was not out there. GNUFlash is adequate for some uses, but too many sites seem to have a check for Flash version and GNUFlash doesn't return a good enough answer. :(

forrestcupp
October 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM
There's also Pixel (http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/), which is neither open source or free, but it's much closer to being able to compete with Photoshop than GIMP currently is. Development on it is still pretty slow however.

Looks pretty cool, but I have a couple of warnings to people who want to try it.

1 - The license on the website says that you can evaluate the beta for an unlimited amount of time before paying for your copy. The license that comes up when you actually install the program says that you can evaluate it for 30 days, then you have to either pay for it or stop using it.

2 - Until you register the product, it puts a watermark on all of your images.

So it's pretty much useless until you pay. It looks cool, though.