PDA

View Full Version : package install idea

Mickeysofine1972
October 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Hey Guys

I was wondering if anyone has seen the suggestion that you get when you type a command in xterm and you don't have it installed?

It says something like "the command you typed is not installed please type sudo apt-get install <insert name of package> to install".

What i was wondering is this, why cant it just say "the command you typed is not installed, would you like it installed now? (Y/N)".

Any pointers on which package source this new feature could be added to would be great, or if you thinks its already been done, let me know.

Mike

Ramses de Norre
October 11th, 2007, 10:30 PM
How does xterm now in which package a command resides? And what if two (conflicting) packages have each their own implementation of that command?

milosz.galazka
October 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM
$ dpkg -l command-not-found
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Nazwa Wersja Opis
+++-==============-==============-============================================
ii command-not-fo 0.2.8ubuntu1 Suggest installation of packages in interact

And take look at /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/bash_not_command_found

Mickeysofine1972
October 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the head up!

the scripts lead to a Python file called /usr/share/pycentral/command-not-found/site-packages/CommandNotFound/CommandNotFound.py

this seems to be the main file that does the job so I'm gonna see if I can add a bit more code to it to add this functionality.

I will post my version after if anyone is interested, also, does anyone know how I might get this submitted into the Ubuntu Distro?

Mike

Tomosaur
October 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the head up!

the scripts lead to a Python file called /usr/share/pycentral/command-not-found/site-packages/CommandNotFound/CommandNotFound.py

this seems to be the main file that does the job so I'm gonna see if I can add a bit more code to it to add this functionality.

I will post my version after if anyone is interested, also, does anyone know how I might get this submitted into the Ubuntu Distro?

Mike

Go to this page: https://launchpad.net/command-not-found, download the development version, make your changes, and submit a patch.

You will also need to make an account on launchpad in order to submit patches.

Good luck!

Mickeysofine1972
October 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

I did a little change and it seems to work so emailed it to Zygmunt the guy looking after the 'for gutsy' branch to see what he thinks

I attached the code here so anyone who wants it can install it.

All you do is:

sudo cp CommandNotFound.py /usr/share/pycentral/command-not-found/site-packages/CommandNotFound/

I tested this under feisty btw so let me know what happens to it under gutsy please if you do give it a whirl.

Mike

milosz.galazka
October 14th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Good work! I just tried it under gutsy and it works very well :)

Mickeysofine1972
October 14th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Good work! I just tried it under gutsy and it works very well :)

:popcorn::guitar::popcorn:

Kewl! glad to see it works

Mike

bobbocanfly
October 14th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Very cool. Just submitted some stuff for the development (Gutsy+1?) version. I love little projects like this that are really simple but really useful.

Mickeysofine1972
October 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I didn't have the time/patience to work out how to get this into the launchpad code so I just emailed it to the main guy that has write perms for this.

Is there a howto for joining in projects on launchpad and submitting patches etc?

Mike

Tomosaur
October 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I didn't have the time/patience to work out how to get this into the launchpad code so I just emailed it to the main guy that has write perms for this.

Is there a howto for joining in projects on launchpad and submitting patches etc?

Mike

Generally speaking you should just join the project mailing list, then write a short email introducing yourself, and attach your patch. That way everyone on the project can check your patch and if they like it, they may decide to merge it.